View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I agree that white Boxers should not be allowed to mate and as in my case I had Saffy spayed as soon as was possible.

But the vast majority of white Boxers come from matings of the other colours of Boxers, and unless the breeders are prepared to take responsiblity for wiping out the white gene by only breeding the solid coloured dogs then white Boxers pups that are born should be left to live.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Roxy, you must follow your heart, and allow breeders to do the same.

Dawn R.
Rosievelvet
Dogsey Junior

25-01-2005, 11:46 PM
I wasnt going to reply to this - I was going to go away back to a less heated debate but.......

To begin with every dog is "special" to its owner independent of its colour and parentage - of course a white Boxer owner is going to stand up and say my dog is "special" because we know it is a fact! Just because that dog is white does not take away from the fact that the dog is a BOXER. Why should white Boxer puppies be culled and be denied the chance of a full and happy life.

The Boxer is a wonderful breed, there is no other like it and yes this is my own personal opinion but it is one that is shared by many many enthusiastics.

I edit and distribute a Boxer newsletter. In all the members we have, there are those that show, breed + work their Boxers but above all their Boxers are very much family companions. No matter what colour their Boxer is, they are thought just as much of as their coloured brothers/sisters. If anyone thinks otherwise, they certainly dont say so but I know they dont.

However the Boxer is not a breed for everyone. There are a heck of a lot of Boxers of all colours, who through no fault of their own, end up in rescue which is very sad for this wonderful breed of dog. It isnt just the BYB or puppy farm dogs that end up in rescue. There are thoughtless people out there who discard puppies and dogs on a whim like an expensive accessory when the novelty wears off.

Incidently I didnt see anyone write on this forum about intending to breed white Boxers.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2005, 08:19 AM
i think all dogs have the right to live unless they will have a life of pain.
some white dogs have health issues some don't but its not different to their coloured counterparts.
i don't agree with whites being bred from i think any one who does that is asking for trouble. it like me breeding from a leo with nackered hips unfair on any pups.
i think boxers are boxers they are all great dogs in their own ways colour should not come into it.
maybe if the breeders did more home work and put the right dogs together to begin with less whites would be produced, for a breeder to put 2 dogs together knowing there could be whites in the litter then kill them at birth to me is unforgiveable you produced these pups and took the risk when breeding you should also take the responsability for their care for life if needed.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2005, 08:44 AM
As I said, I could not cull, I would take responsibility in another way. However taking responsibility is exactly what these breeders are doing. They are ensuring that their white puppies can never be bred from.

Yes, of course every dog is special to their owner, thats as it should be, but to promote white Boxers to Joe Public as something extaorindary is wrong. You should be ensuring that they realise that white is a non standard colour and point out that they are more often deaf than coloured Boxers, and sell your puppies with a BAER hearing test certificate regardless of the pass or fail result. The public should know exactly what they are getting. I would get signed declaration that they have been informed of all these reasons why breeding white Boxers is to be discouraged.

Dawn R.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

26-01-2005, 08:49 AM
While flash/flash breeding is carried out there will be whites. I am not a breeder but I tend to think that it would be "easier" to euthanase a white pup at birth rather than wait until it is old enough to be hearing tested, find out that it is bilateraly deaf, find out that I cannot find a very special home for it, and then have it put down just as it is developing its own special personality. This is just one of the reasons that breeding is too hard & heartbreaking for me.

Most breeders want the best for their pups. It is hard enough to ensure that for any pup, let alone one that needs special care & training.

Leo. There is more to the "right to life" for dogs than just freedom from pain. I would suggest that there are many dogs that, while leading lives free of physical pain, are miserable, lonely, psychologically abused, over-bred, and just generally treated like dirt. They may never have been beaten, starved, etc. but their quality of life leaves much to be desired - as I am sure the rescue people will confirm. I know of a BC close to me. He was rescued from the dogs' home. He is on a running chain for 22 hours a day. He has a 40 gallon drum as a kennel. He has very little shade. He is walked and fed. To me, that dog would be better off dead.
Rosievelvet
Dogsey Junior

26-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Shadowboxer
How terribly sad for the BC that you know, what a miserable existence for such a volitile working breed, no doubt he will live his life out until the end in such a manner.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Yes, RV, it is sad. The dog is fed, watered, has shelter, and is walked once a day. That is sufficient as far as the dog welfare societies are concerned. Why these people chose that type of dog, or any dog, is a constant source of amazement to me. Their prveious dog, a GRx, lived in similar conditions. When he was old & dying the owner had a golf match arranged. He suspected the dog was sick but he left anyway. The poor old dog died as he had lived - alone. Makes me spit.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

27-01-2005, 10:01 AM
shadowboxer is correct, for some breeders it is easier to have the white pups euthanised at an early stage rather than bond with the pup and watch it grow and develop only to find it is deaf or has other problems.

Personally I would rather give them a chance, I only have pups euthanised if they have a serious problem which prevents them from functioning properly such as a deformity etc, but I wouldnt want to breed puppies which might possibly have to be put down, so i wouldnt do a flashy x flashy mating as its too much of a risk IMO
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2005, 03:29 PM
PLEASE TELL ME WHO GAVE BREEDERS THE RIGHT TO DECIDE WHICH PUP LIVES/DIES?

NOBODY BREEDS WHITES, SO WHY IS IT OKAY TO BREED TWO FLASHY BOXERS WHO HAVE PRODUCED PROBALLY THE BIGGEST PERCENTAGE OF WHITE PUPS BORN?

YVONNE

Ive just realised there is basically two heated debated on the subject of white boxers so a lot of stuff is being repeated
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »