Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
If you have to ask I would say no.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
So seeking information would mean we shouldn't, that sounds like people would never learn anything before they make their decision.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2013, 07:11 PM
I'd quite like a houseful of Pugs but know naff all about breeding and the two I have their breeders are too far away to be mentors. For me the risks are too great and I will buy any future pups, probably from the same breeders, who show, breed ethically, and keep a pup for themselves to continue their lines. After all the hassle I had waiting for Tucson I just know I couldn't do it. One litter the Bitch died shortly after giving birth, and another litter two of the pups died after their first vaccination. Two years I waited for her and I couldn't face losing either of mine creating the next generation, it's just not worth it. I'd go back to the breeder who already has a wealth of experience.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
As above, you need to ask the qeustion , are you prepared to lose your bitch in the pursuit of your dream, don't be fooled into thinking it won't happen it happens far to often I know someone now who's bitch is fighting for her life after delivering her litter, also a friend lost her bitch 12 mths ago after she gave birth.....

You really need to be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. Do you want her babies badly enough to put her at risk, given the breeds history or complications in whelping.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Sadly our breeder has no intention of having more pups Betty's litter was the last. She keeps one each time and has as big a family as she wants to deal with, and it costs her more to breed a litter than she makes on the pups and doesn't want to spend out again, which I can appreciate is a consideration.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
As above, you need to ask the qeustion , are you prepared to lose your bitch in the pursuit of your dream, don't be fooled into thinking it won't happen it happens far to often I know someone now who's bitch is fighting for her life after delivering her litter, also a friend lost her bitch 12 mths ago after she gave birth.....

You really need to be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. Do you want her babies badly enough to put her at risk, given the breeds history or complications in whelping.
That is definitely something to think long and hard about.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
You may have already considered it but what about contacting a breed rescue and adopting some dogs. Their must be chihuahuas out there who have been bought as handbag dogs and then their owners have got bored of them. Why risk loosing your bitch for the sake of puppies when you could have more chihuahuas and help out dogs who could be as sweet as your but been abandoned through no fault of their own? Does your bitch have a happy life? Do you think she would really want to go through having puppies to provide you with them....or would she be happier with seem fury friends of her own.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
We would if we didn't have pups from her go and find a breeder, we have had all rescues for the past 30 years until we got Betty and just don't want to go down that route again for various reasons.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Keeping a whole litter might be anything from 2 upwards & every puppy needs to have time alone for training & exercise.

Keeping a whole litter & not socializing/training/walking separately can & does lead to the dogs forming a very close bond to each other & if anything happens to one(such as being spayed/neutered/illness/death)leads the others to stress/grieving/anxiety.

The exercise/socilaization/training isn't just for when they are puppies, but for the whole of their lives. Dogs are not "pack"animals like wolves & wild dogs formed to ensure their survival over 1,000s of years. They are pack animals by association & their natural status is a loose pack & keeping all the litter leads them to form too close bonds with each other & their parents.

It is a lot of hard work once the puppies are born.

Now actually breeding the litter-are you trying to improve the breed ? Sorry but it doesn't sound like it, yor reasons are purely selfish in that you want a"family"of closely related dogs, because you have seen such a "family" working. If Betty's breeder kept all the puppies from every litter to have her "family"of dogs, how did you get one ?

I do not believe that any one breeding the fashionable breeds(like Chihuahuas, Pugs etc)which can start at £1,500 a puppy don't make any money. Does the breeder show her dogs ? Showing is what costs money in the world of dogs & if someone doesn't bother to show/take part in canine activities with their dogs they will make money from their litters, unless they breed from bitches which have to have C sections with every litter-in which case they shouldn't be breeding from such bitches.

Now correctly rearing a litter of Chihuahuas needs careful planning & an knowledgeable exeprienced ethical breeder to help. They are a breed that needs quite a high constant temperature in their environs, they, as you should know, have a tendency to be born with molleras & can have hydrocephalus & hypoglycemia-something that very young puppies can develop rapidly & hence why they need so much attention. Is your vet experienced in dealing with Chihuahua conditions ?

The whelping, litters born by C section can be rejected by their mother & that means feeds every couple of hours around the clock by their breeder as well as "topping & tailing"them

Are you really prepared for this ? Have you the time & energy to give your dogs 24/7 care from just before to months after they are born ? Do you want to risk your bitch's health/life ?

As an after thought what type of head does your bitch have ? Apple(correct) or Deer(incorrect) ? are you looking to breed her to the same coat/head type ?

If your bitch is insured breeding from her will invalidate her normal insurance in 99.99% of policies
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 09:05 PM
^^^what she said.^^^
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »