Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 12:54 PM

Should we ?

We have never considered breeding any of our dogs before for various reasons, but looking at Betty we are wondering.

We want eventually to have several Chihuahuas and the idea of a sweet tempered little girl being the mother to them appeals to us.

We have no firm plans at the moment just wondering what others think about allowing her to have one litter that we would keep the pups from rather than looking for pups else where in a couple of years time.

She is far too young now we know, as she is just having her first season, and we would have any and all health checks done before we did anything at all.

We just wanted more knowledgeable people to advise us before we made any decisions.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Mmmm, someone who knows about breeding will come and advise you on that bit..but I don't think keeping the mum and all the pups is a good idea at all. Pups should leave their mums and grow up, I've had experience of quite a few pups being left with their mothers and they never really grew up if you see what I mean. Siblings can also start to have serious fights as they mature. I know chihuahuas aren't exactly big fighting dogs.....but I wouldn't do it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Interesting because the few I've known whose dogs have had pups and they kept them say that once they are grown they don't seem to realise they are the 'kids/parents' and the one dog I see with her three 6 month old pups almost every day (well the mother and father are both there) doesn't seem a bit protective of them or inclined to run with them more than with other dogs. And the 'dad' dog is exactly the same old sod who runs off all the time that he ever was. (I reckon this dog is responsible for probly half the street dogs in Larnaca)
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 05:30 PM
The other issue you have with keeping the whole litter together with the parents, apart from cost of course, is that the bonds between puppies can be very strong...so strong that they became very strongly bonded to each other at the expense of your relationship with them. Any training and walking should really be separately so that they gain independence and can focus on you.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Well the plan is that they should have time alone with us for walks etc which is easier with several than just two dogs. I never like leaving one dog behind but if they have pals with them I can take one at a time out and about.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
At one time I had a mother and daughter, plus a mother, daughter and granddaughter from a different line, and never had any problems amongst any of them.

But then Griffons are very sociable amongst their own and I never kept two from the same litter so there was always an age gap, which made training each one easier as it was always a one-to-one thing. I used to take them out in two's or three's, mixing which one/s went together differently each time.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
At one time I had a mother and daughter, plus a mother, daughter and granddaughter from a different line, and never had any problems amongst any of them.

But then Griffons are very sociable amongst their own and I never kept two from the same litter so there was always an age gap, which made training each one easier as it was always a one-to-one thing. I used to take them out in two's or three's, mixing which one/s went together differently each time.

That sounds like the little family Betty came from, it's what has inspired us to wonder if we could do the same.

Betty is from a very friendly family of Chihuahuas and has a lovely temperament herself I know there is no guarantee any pups would be exactly like her but we would be starting from a point that the parent is a lovely character.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Most reputable breeders will keep a puppy from a litter, it's why they breed to keep a pup, and as such said pup will be raised with its mother and often several generations of the breeders dogs.. Not sure why keeping a pup would hinder its development, nor is it a forgone conclusion siblings will fight.....

To the thread starter, you say you are going to keep all pups, are you prepared for 2,3,4 , that's a lot of work to deal with, not to mention Chi's can have difficulty giving birth, and some don't make good mothers, you will have to be prepared for the consequences of difficult births and problems, not to mention finding a stud, and if you end up with dogs and bitches, keeping them apart when the bitch or bitches come into season, usually with multiple bitch one will bring the others in season, so you could end up with 2,3 or more in season at the same time, with a dog having to cope with the fallout.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Our plan was only one litter from Betty when she is at least 2 1/2 years old then neuter her and the pups. Not creating a dynasty or needing to find homes for pups. Really just wanting a family of our own.

We haven't decided one way or another yet and have plenty of time to think about it. Just wanted to find out what you more knowledgeable people thought of the idea. It may just be a crazy dream but we want more than one Chihuahua eventually and thought this may be the best way to go about getting friendly happy dogs as that is what she is like.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
BTW I know it's normal in this part of the forum but please feel free to call me Julie as I am elsewhere on the forum, thread starter sounds so formal !
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »