Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I used one once.
But I didn`t know it.
I went to get a young GSD from a home where the woman couldn`t keep her. I was handed the dog and and took her back on the train.
I was stunned by the dog`s behaviour. She kept jumping up and down on the spot, eyes wide, exhibiting stress. I couldn`t understand it. Or the way she crouched when she walked.
Then I got home and took her collar and lead off.
I`d never seen one of these evil things before. I was mortified that I had subjected this poor creature to such pain. In fact I phoned the RSPCA to see if they were legal. I mean - have you seen them? Sharp spikes designed to stick in your dog`s throat? What twisted mind thought that up?
The collar went in the bin. It took a year for her to walk normally but she was a lovely girlie so I`m so glad I took her in.
That must have been a very badly fitted prong, I have never seen a dog like that with a prong on, and unfortunately I see it every other day as the training class I attend use them. :/ I dont use them personally and try to show positive reinforcement throughout the class with my dogs.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I have seen one dog who was ok in a prong collar, and I chatted to the owner for a bit and he showed me the outer covers you can get so's they don't look like prong collars

Wys
x
Yes I've seen those too, makes you wonder why advocates of prong collars want to hide them if they are so wonderful and kind.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
That must have been a very badly fitted prong, I have never seen a dog like that with a prong on, and unfortunately I see it every other day as the training class I attend use them. :/ I dont use them personally and try to show positive reinforcement throughout the class with my dogs.
Are you calling me a liar, love? Were you there?
I know what I saw and I described it accurately. The dog was previously walked by children, poor soul. God knows what pain she went through. For months afterwards, when it was walkies time she`d cry and leap backwards and forwards near the door, terrified in case that dreadful thing was put on her again.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
That must have been a very badly fitted prong, I have never seen a dog like that with a prong on, and unfortunately I see it every other day as the training class I attend use them. :/ I dont use them personally and try to show pIsitive reinforcement throughout the class with my dogs.
I've seen it and actually managed to get the owner to bin it once she saw how much better her dog behaved without it.

I think it also helped when she put it on her arm and went for a walk with me around her garden
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I know what I saw and I described it accurately. The dog was previously walked by children, poor soul. God knows what pain she went through. For months afterwards, when it was walkies time she`d cry and leap backwards and forwards near the door, terrified in case that dreadful thing was put on her again.
Calm yourself down, I never said that, or insinuated that. I genuinely meant and said it must have been badly fitted or something to that affect it seems a very extreme response. That doesnt mean it never happened
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I've seen it and actually managed to get the owner to bin it once she saw how much better her dog behaved without it.

I think it also helped when she put it on her arm and went for a walk with me around her garden
I'm so disappointed every time I see someone buy into the idea of them at the club when they're is more training that could be done They are used as a last resort by the trainer but some who attend advocate the use of them and anyone who shows the slightest but of interest can almost be pounced on in my opinion. but there are many there who do not use them, I get a thrill about people asking how I train my dog or hearing the trainer explaining to newbies the methods I'm using.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-02-2012, 06:27 PM
think you took it to much too heart.

how often have we made the same "maybe it wasnt fitted proprely" comment when someone tells us how a head collar or harness hurt a dog?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Another possibility is it is a "worse" type of prong than the ones they use at the club I attend tbf. The club done a lot of research into the type of prong they use so it has a particular end and if anyone is interested they tell them not to order from webs etc. as it could be a different type which has a different end at the prong or something like that. So that might have been a really nasty one
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:46 PM
There are nice, well fitting prong collars with spikes that stick into a dog`s throat are there? Well well.... that`s good to know.
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:48 PM
There are nice, well fitting prong collars with spikes that stick into a dog`s throat are there? Well well.... that`s good to know.
Gotta admit, I was thinking this. Prong collars are wrong, plain and simple. There aren't nice ones, they are designed to cause pain.

It's like saying there are 'nice' guns.
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »