Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I do, my own for one,

On occasion I heard the PM speaking to clients on the phone, asking for payment of vets bills, usually followed up with a "no more treatment " until you do.

I am not talking about bills which have been allowed to accumulate but 1 large operation can run up a huge bill .
The people then walk away and move on to another practice .
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I have a feeling insurance has been the main thing to push up vets prices - I know our previous vet would charge more of he knew insurance was paying for the treatment and he was much more likely to offer less costly treatments if you had no insurance. We also all seem to treat things we previously would never have considered which again pushes up prices.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
But that is not every client of theirs' problem - ALL businesses have this problem. But vet costs just seem to rise and rise well above inflation at times. Of course they need to make money but how bladdy much!! And I do not think they have THAT many people not paying - sure its bound to happen, but that is not the majority of cases or loyal clients.
It doesn't take that many large operations unpaid for the debt to be huge .
How often it happens depends on what sort of area they cover .
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:11 PM
At the moment Benjie is the only one insured as my OH's parents pay for it.

Sadie hasn't seen a vet (except for boosters) for 8 years - she isn't insured either, Louie isn't insured as we can't afford it yet, if he needs a vet - we scrape up as much as possible and borrow the rest or just borrow it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Or find a vet that allowed her to pay on the drip,
Thats the point ARENT ANY HERE! It wasnt an option.Why should the vets be criticized for having a practice policy.

Maybe the option of taking them on trust (to pay when you can) has been abused in the past, hence the deposit or no credit policy.

Maybe if someone is struggling to feed their kids, then the question is, should they have pets in the first place.
Heck why dont you go the whole hog and say, get rid of the kids too!! since you cant afford them..it may well be a hopefully temperary situation your in but put yourslf, your kids and your pets through the stress of rehoming them anyway, then in a couple of months when your on your feet buy shiney new ones? I dont think so, not IMOIf my income was such I felt I was unable to feed my children properly, then I would not be keeping pets, if it took food from their mouths!
I said struggling, not starving. Hardly like feeding the dog over a child
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
dont have mine insured.

In the past with big vets bills i was lucky that the vets let me pay them other a few months, now i suppose we would stick it on the credit card if they were a couple of K or
so.
I dont actually believe in letting a dog suffer ongoing medical treatment i think sometimes insured dogs are let go on too long in some cases, because the insurance will pay.

My biggest bill was when nellie pulled her leg off in a river & ruptered her lateral ligament, which then needed to be pinned & wired. That was around 10years ago & i was lucky that , that vet billed me at end of each month, so the cost was spread & they were happy for me to takle a few months to pay it off (not sure my current vets would-cant even get out of reception without paying!)
I agree They wanted to do all sorts of extra test and things to Morse, purely because he was insured which they then admitted would only prolong his life a week or 2 We chose not to put him through any more.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
It doesn't take that many large operations unpaid for the debt to be huge .
How often it happens depends on what sort of area they cover .
The unpaid debt will always be huge compared to unpaid 'cost price' and then they wont treat animals any further if the treatment (op or no op) hasnt been paid for.

As for area, theres as many unscrupulous people in every area, when it comes to money.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, decent owners, those who care would get the money somehow.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-12-2010, 07:45 PM
How does the blue cross work ??
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Absolutley no idea.

I only know the PDSA form states that only one pet can be registered to that owner/address and you need to have either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit to qualify. Dont have a clue about Blue Cross.
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »