Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
If they still qualify for council tax benefit then they will be able to register for PDSA but they only provide care for one pet.

Just like everything else in life - you manage how you can.
3 actually
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
3 actually
Not here they dont. Only one.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 05:56 PM
ahh, ok. Ive never used the pdsa myself but know people who do and they have all 3 of their pets treated there.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Its a hard one, we do have insurance for Bruno which I am glad of as he has HD and athritis and imagine in the next few years we will have to deal with this.

However since having the children and me not returning to work we only just get by each month and are not eligible for any benefits, so for us its the general vet things that are not claimable that usually are a struggle for us.

I know we have to take Bruno to the vets soon as I discovered a lump on him today and I always get them checked out even although all the ones so far have been nothing to worry about.
However the £30 to walk in the door fee plus any tests costs are a large amount out of our monthly budget so I have to reallocate funds ! His insurance has trebled since we first took it out but we have claimed it so for us its been invaluable.

However its not cut and dried, positions do change, I do however see insurance as an important thing as what if he was hit by a car etc and had huge vet costs? At least then I know that I wouldnt have to make a decision on a life based on money ..

My vet however is very good and I know he would offer a payment plan if I really could not afford the bill.

I just cannot get there at moment due to the snow to get the lump checked but will be doing it asap.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:30 PM
It's a hard one this in lots of ways because folks circumstances change(not folk who just 'get a dog from wherever eg, unsavoury characters, mates of mates etc) no matter how carefully they have considered things and also with the economic climate? etc. Would think many things make many vets wary of giving treatment without fees up front for many reasons, however much they care, maybe is out of their control if working for large chain or practice,costs, keeping going(know is not always the case)? We don't have any PDSA or pet aid here anymore(would have to travel some distance n emergency calls wouldn't know what would happen) so is not an option. Am fortunate in that our vet has been very good with insurance/payment and care of our animals(so far). Have eaten many a potato, rice n scrag end in the past to pay vet bills n don't regret at all. Have never been in the awful position that some folk have, but who can ever know what's 'round the corner'.
ps have just seen your post Brundog 'it's a hard one' was typing at same time, but it is.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:40 PM
You know circumstances change but what? They can SORN the car, sell it even - surley you dont suggest people just dump their pets the minute they are skint? Just because they took on a responsibility then a change of unexpected circumstances leaves them 'living on the breadline' I know only a couple of people that could afford to pay thousands upfront - does that mean its only them that should have a dog? If everyone thought that it would soon become the 'elitists' only that could be dog owners.

Some people simply dont have that option. The belt is so tight its suffocating them and thats without insurance, they are struggling to feed their pets and kids never mind insurance.....if the moneys there its there and if its a situation they are planning on finding a way to get out of then I dont see why their dogs should be subjected to rehoming just for them to get treatment when the home they are in is otherwise a good one in a temporary bad situation.

Muttzrule - no one is saying vets should work for free but some are so overpriced in comparison to what they could charge (and still be making a tidy profit) that to tell someone to kill their dog for treatable injuries rather than take the risk of their client not keeping up with installments is just as rediculous and immoral when the amount of profit is huge and they do have the ability to charge at a more affordable cost while making money still...

Maybe the are so overpriced because of all the people who get treatment for their animals sometimes costing hundreds or thousands of pounds and walk away without paying .
They then move on to another vets and do the same .
I don't know of any vets who are not owed large sums of money . Decent people offer to pay in installments but many never pay at all .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Not all and if you dont have one that does.....its useless. I cancelled insurance because they would pay direct but no vets would accept that. Hence left to pay out anyway before having to claim back....pretty useless if the point for some people is they have it in case they need thousands paid out at once.

No it isn`t, if you are in that situation find another vet

A girl I spoke to recently, her dog had been hit by a car. She took him to the vet and said that she would need to pay in installments. They said we need a £600 deposit - which she didnt have so they told her a cheaper option was to have the dog PTS.

Or find a vet that allowed her to pay on the drip,

Why should the vets be criticized for having a practice policy.

Maybe the option of taking them on trust (to pay when you can) has been abused in the past, hence the deposit or no credit policy.

Some people simply dont have that option. The belt is so tight its suffocating them and thats without insurance, they are struggling to feed their pets and kids never mind insurance.....if the moneys there its there and if its a situation they are planning on finding a way to get out of then I dont see why their dogs should be subjected to rehoming just for them to get treatment when the home they are in is otherwise a good one in a temporary bad situation.

Maybe if someone is struggling to feed their kids, then the question is, should they have pets in the first place.

If my income was such I felt I was unable to feed my children properly, then I would not be keeping pets, if it took food from their mouths!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
[/COLOR]

Maybe the are so overpriced because of all the people who get treatment for their animals sometimes costing hundreds or thousands of pounds and walk away without paying .
I don't know of any vets who are not owed large sums of money . Decent people offer to pay in installments but many never pay at all .
I do, my own for one,

On occasion I heard the PM speaking to clients on the phone, asking for payment of vets bills, usually followed up with a "no more treatment " until you do.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I have Dougal and the cat insured. Not sure what our vets want from it to be honest. Thankfully *touch wood* I haven't needed it.

Our vets is starting a scheme where you can pay a certain amount per month/week and get standard things like immunisations and healthchecks. So I'll be joining that...it makes it so much easier.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
[/COLOR]

But that is not every client of theirs' problem - ALL businesses have this problem. But vet costs just seem to rise and rise well above inflation at times. Of course they need to make money but how bladdy much!! And I do not think they have THAT many people not paying - sure its bound to happen, but that is not the majority of cases or loyal clients.
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »