Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
There is studies to show that dew claw removal affects dog, I have seen no studies that show otherwise. I have read from experts that say that they have watched videos of dogs with and without dew claws running, and I think experts would take breed conformation into account.

Also dogs without dew claws, well its not natural for a body of anything to have a digit taken off, pups that have them taken off will have to have adapt and be different to other dogs, as they are having something that is used a lot taken away, its not there, they have no choice, but dogs are highly adaptable.

Adapting to something is when you lose the use of a sense or limb, you cant adapt to something you have never had.

A puppy at 3 days of age has never had the need to use his dew claws , or tail, he is still moving around the floor like a snail, so removing his dew claws or docking his tail, will not effect his ability to walk/scratch/suckle /turn,

So in fact he may well have been born without them, because he has never known them. and has no need to adapt/

A dog that loses a leg/toe/eye in later life will adapt to living without it.

Also I'm afraid that unless someone has studied this extensivly, and proven that there is no effect its all opionions on their behalf
. The human eye can not see all that is happening when dogs run, so we can not unless we have resources avaible what is happening at what point, but we can through research done by others learn what different affects happen because of something people choose to do to their dogs.
I agree Chaz, unless you can give scientific and medical /veterinary studies to prove one way or the other , then its all speculation on our part.

Can you post all the links you have to support these studies ???
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
As far as dewclaws go, Flynn has none and the collies only have their front dewclaws. TBH, if I had a dog with rear dewclaws, I would have them removed regardless of the breed. I've seen dogs with them and they are far looser than front dewclaws and how they dont get them ripped off boggles my mind.

I dont really have any strong opinions about front dewclaws but for a working gundog, I would want them removed, just like their tails if thats what is traditionally done.

As far as stability goes, i've observed Flynn lose his footing many times when he's tried to make a sharp turn, his feet simply slide from under him. Jessie makes turns just as sharp and yet stays on her feet. I'm wondering now if that is anything to do with the fact Flynn has no dewclaws. Or maybe he's simply clumsy, i'll never know for sure.
Hal had double dew claws on both his back legs and never once tore them, cut them or harmed them in any way. He was a very athletic dog, frequently jumping high fences, gates and not infrequently even barbed wire fences, much to my horror. He would leap through the crop bounding high above it like a gazelle to flush out rabbits, and particularly in the case of rape, one would think that were dew claws as tenuous as you think, he would have ripped them clean off. But no, he was born with them, lived with them quite happily for 10 years, and died with them still intact.

I take the simple view that if dogs were not meant to have dew claws, then they would not have them.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Oliver21508 View Post
If dogs are docked and dew claws removed at 3 days of age, they are going to know no different and so will be as agile and able as an undocked dog with dew claws. It's saying dogs without a hind leg are less able than dogs with all four legs. they get around, they adapt and learn how to do different things, like jumping, running etc.
Neither would a baby know any different if doctors snipped off a little finger, but they sure as hell would scream blue bloody murder and anyone who did such an appalling thing should be impaled on a large sharp stake. Would you like me to do that to your 3 day old child?

I don't hold strong views either way in regard to the agility argument - although I do recall Hal using his double dew claws to bring down rabbits and also when jumping up my parents' ha-ha from the field into their garden. My strong views are based solely in the unnecessary cruelty and inflicting of unnecessary pain camp.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hal had double dew claws on both his back legs and never once tore them, cut them or harmed them in any way. He was a very athletic dog, frequently jumping high fences, gates and not infrequently even barbed wire fences, much to my horror. He would leap through the crop bounding high above it like a gazelle to flush out rabbits, and particularly in the case of rape, one would think that were dew claws as tenuous as you think, he would have ripped them clean off. But no, he was born with them, lived with them quite happily for 10 years, and died with them still intact.

I take the simple view that if dogs were not meant to have dew claws, then they would not have them.
As many dont have hind dew claws!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Neither would a baby know any different if doctors snipped off a little finger, but they sure as hell would scream blue bloody murder and anyone who did such an appalling thing should be impaled on a large sharp stake. Would you like me to do that to your 3 day old child?

I don't hold strong views either way in regard to the agility argument - although I do recall Hal using his double dew claws to bring down rabbits and also when jumping up my parents' ha-ha from the field into their garden. My strong views are based solely in the unnecessary cruelty and inflicting of unnecessary pain camp.
Thought Hals double dew claws were on his hind legs, ??

Do dogs bring down rabbits with their hind legs???

Also not sure why people have to compare human children to dogs, to suport their argument..
Oliver21508
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:08 PM

I don't agree with taking them off unneccessarily either. I would only agree with removal if it was loose or it was damaged, and only under anaesthetic. I don't agree with docking unless done under anaesthetic.

What I'm saying is that pups docked and dew clawed won't know any different. Doesn't mean its right to take them off though.

One question, are 3 day old pups given a local anaesthetic around the tail area to dock them and around the feet area to dew-claw?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree Chaz, unless you can give scientific and medical /veterinary studies to prove one way or the other , then its all speculation on our part.

Can you post all the links you have to support these studies ???
I've just got to rush out, but one of the links that I put up before was from a person who is a DVM, PhD. I don't have the evidence of their work, but there are more studies online supporting this.

Also are you saying that if a baby lost one of its digits when it was young that it wouldn't have to adapt from what is natural, that it wouldn't have to make up for this missing digit?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 06:57 PM
As many dont have hind dew claws!!
Totally agree. But the point here is that Hal DID ... and never tore them, damaged them, harmed them in any way, despite the fact he was an extremely athletic dog in terms of jumping obstacles.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Thought Hals double dew claws were on his hind legs, ??

Do dogs bring down rabbits with their hind legs???

Also not sure why people have to compare human children to dogs, to suport their argument..
Yes they do !! Hal used to use his dew claws on the back legs to get a grip on the back end of the rabbit. He would somehow concertina his body into a tight shape such that his back dew claws would be used on the back of the rabbit. He also used them to climb seemingly impossible heights, such as my parents Ha Ha. They were to him an invaluable part of his toolbox, and I would never ever have even considered their removal.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Oliver21508 View Post
I don't agree with taking them off unneccessarily either. I would only agree with removal if it was loose or it was damaged, and only under anaesthetic. I don't agree with docking unless done under anaesthetic.

What I'm saying is that pups docked and dew clawed won't know any different. Doesn't mean its right to take them off though.

One question, are 3 day old pups given a local anaesthetic around the tail area to dock them and around the feet area to dew-claw?
Well they certainly weren't when my GSP pups were docked and de-declawed. You could have heard the screams miles away. It is a nightmarish sound that I shall never forget, and I vowed then that I would never ever have any bits chopped unnecessarily off my dogs. It is totally cruel and barbaric. However, maybe now they do use anaesthetic, which certainly makes it more acceptable - but I personally still would not do it, simply because I do not see any reason to do so.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >