View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sbt4eva
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Great pics,i personally think thise who do not allow a child to grow up having a dog are more selfish.Theres nothing purer than the bond between a child a dog.
watching them both grow and mature is amazing.
i have raised my sons with dogs the same as i was and my parents befor me.

Thats pure devotion and love in the purist form.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Well I have to say there are dangers. It happened years ago now but I still remember an incident with my son , around 9 months at the time and our Irish setter.
I was in the room and only turned my back to get something from a cupboard when the monster took off across the the room and sank his teeth, or should I say gums, into the poor dog's tail He shot into the air, bolted to his basket and stayed there for the rest of the afternoon.

that made me laugh

Seriously, the pictures look lovely. Children gain a lot from living with a dog. I wish I could remember the reference but there was a study that found children who lived with dogs were measurably happier. I know there are risks, but if you protected children from every possible danger they'd have no life at all. They just need a bit of sensible supervision and to learn a few basic rules.
I was going to say the same thing...yes there are risks but the benefits far outway the risks. I think for people who have never experienced the good bits about growing up with dogs, they will think that the risk isn't worth it and you'll probably never convince them otherwise. Very sad really.

My response would be 'I'm sorry for your children that they are going to miss out on such a special relationship which would give them so much happiness and would teach them so much including 'love, trust, respect, loyality and responsibility'.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 07:55 AM
THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS,
The piccies are all fantastic also, love your boys sleeping with their staffie companions - great !!

Laura - Oscar is such a cutie with his "pack" !!

See this is exactly what I thought about it too, that its perfectly fine and its an amazing bond, I was just astounded with the ignorance of many of the mums. The breed discrimination on that particular board seems to be fuelled by media hysteria and half of them have never even met a staffie, and there are a small group of staffie owners and other dog owners defending their dogs but its just astonishing how many feel that its actually a dangerous thing to have a dog bigger than a postage stamp with their children.

keep the photos and the thoughts coming.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't even try argueing with them hun, life is too short to try and change a narrow mind. Was told once that I was being irresposible for having two cats with a baby in the house as they would sit on his face and smother him

You see the joy that Bruno brings Luca, that is reason enough in my book.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I think all these photos are lovely. There are so many benefits, physical and emotional, for children to grow up with animals. I would expect that your children will grow up more rounded than the rigid, fussy parents who object to dogs living with children. I know my daughter has benefited from the animals she has grown up with and enjoys the ones we have now.

I do not really see why you have to explain yourself to them, they will not change. Just because there are irresponsible dog owners who have dogs for the wrong reasons and they make horrible stories in the papers makes some types of people believe that all dogs behave this way.

Just enjoy what you have, you know it is good.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:07 AM
All such fabulous pics, I love seeing children snuggling with the dogs!! I was brought up to be with animals and respect them as were my cousins we always had dogs in the family and if a dog grumbled it was our fault for pushing it too far!!
People get on my nerves with not letting their kids mix with dogs, and even making the child nervous with dogs, had it myself with the setter babes. Yes their has to be rules and boundaries, but children and dogs do and should mix!!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:15 AM
We are hoping to have a family soon and when people find this out the first thing they ask is what are we going to do with the dogs. It seems to be part of the modern day culture ( A lot of it due to the media) that as soon as a baby comes the dogs or even cats have to go.

Its stupid and means a lot of kids are growing up missing out on the joy i had when i was little. My best friends growing up were our dogs, when i learn to walk i could always be found curled up in the dog basket with our cocker.

I notice it in the park too, as soon as we let the dogs off lead to run all the parents get on edge. The once there was a group playing football and the ball got kicked a bit too close to Cassie. Well this was just too much for her when combined with the running kids and squeals as Cassie adored kids. She went trotting over in her rocking horse bound, bat ears out tail going like the clappers and anyone whould have though she was a werewolf or something! The guy lifted his kid right off the ground anf yanked the other one behind him, both kids started screaming as they were now scared to death! I was right behind Cassie and grabed her before she got too close but the reaction was soo extreme. I remember thinking he was doing his kids no favours and they were now going to be terrified of dogs for life.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Just say Screw you...My kids lives are better and give them a sense of caring etc with the dogs in their lives..

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I think part of the problem is that we live in a disposable, throw away society and an awful lot of people seem to think it's fine to have a dog for a few years and when the first child comes along the dog has to go. This is wrong on so many levels and beyond my comprehension. I had a dog before I had a child, he wasn't an easy dog he was a golden cocker with rage syndrome, who was jealous of my baby and yet we managed it all without incident. It never crossed my mind to get rid of the dog. I just took steps to ensure they were both safe at all times, it wasn't that difficult. When I got my puppy I made a commitment for life just as I did with my son when I gave birth.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes of course there are families with dogs. But probably not on mums forums
here`s my contributions to the dogs and kids should never be in the same room arguement

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »