View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 10:54 PM

IS there such a thing as a family dog anymore?

I have just got into a huge debate on a mums forum as there are some people who seem to find the idea of having a dog and a child as completely selfish and irresponsible.

I posted these pictures and have literally been attacked by a mum who has declared that I am stupid, irresponsible and selfish to have a dog with my child ( albeit she is breedist as she is saying its because he is a staffie and thus a danger to my child)

So honest opinions please- are they really so wrong, or are people missing out on the joy of kids and dogs, or am i dillusional, and my dog is really basically going to attack my child at any minute !!

Obviously you all know what i think really, but I really struggle that people find these photos so abhorrent.

opinions please??
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2009, 11:06 PM
simple answer:

you are asking a question about the wrong species
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Hi Dani,

I am also a member of a mums forum but didn't realise such silly ideas were raised.

I have these pictures of my Son, Oscar with our dogs.

Oscar & Buddy

Oscar & Yiannis, Ellie, Zane & Seto

Oscar & Yiannis

Oscar & Yiannis

Oscar, Zane & Seto

Zane & Oscar

Buddy & Oscar

Please feel free to post my piccies of Oscar with our dogs on your mums' forum.

They are all family dogs and play, live and get along with each other and Oscar fantastically well. Obviously it goes without saying that he's never left alone with the dogs - EVER.
But if someone wants to slate me for having a 5 year old and dogs then so be it. They're the ones missing out on the joy and love that only dogs can bring.

Personally, I would let them wallow in their own bigotted, single minded cr4p. Clearly they don't know what they're talking about. They know nothing of dogs in general nor any specific breed info.

You haven't done anything wrong and your Son looks gorgeous with Bruno. You ahve the best of both worlds - being a parent and a dog owner. What could be better?!

Laura xx
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2009, 01:46 AM
I firmly believe dogs and kids mix well, but for the protection of both need supervision.

With a little searching you should be able to find a link to the work showing children raised with pets have fewer allergies and stronger immune systems. Then demand she explains why she is denying her children a dog.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 03:07 AM
oh how could you the dog looks very aggressive and could swallow the child whole................ Just joking, I think you can get a good idea of the dogs reaction to a child if they are wary and not sure I would have them both but be very cautious, if they are relaxed and comfy around them I would always supervise it but be fine with them together. I have seen some kids with dogs and the dog actually protects the child, if there is a stranger they check out the stranger and will sit between the child and the person until the dog is comfortable with the person.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 05:49 AM
I actually think you ought to tell them to get a life, they are lovely photos of a lovely dog and a fantastic advertisement for how a staffies got their Nanny dog reputation. A dog brought up correctly will always be fine with kids and i don't think there is anything nicer, i remember growing up i could tell the dogs anything.

Can i share this photo this is Scruffy and his new brother we rehomed him last year and he loves the kids best, even though he's got severe hip displacia

lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 06:27 AM
even my own dad who i love dearly was totally over the top when i got my first dog. he asked how big the dog was and when i said he was the same height as my then 2 year old daughter, he stated 'oh so when he bites it will be her face that he attacks'.

i know he was concerned for his granddaughter but i was annoyed that he felt i would put her at risk like that.

as it was, he did later on take back that statement and agreed that leo was a wonderful addition to the family.

i believe that if children are brought up with animals and taught to respect them it benefits them massively. my kids are 18 and 16 now, and they both are as silly as me about animals. it makes me laugh seeing my 6ft 4 son baby talking lily, a 6lb jrt!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 06:39 AM
When I was pregnant in the late 70's the mid-wife was absolutely horrified to discover I had 3 GSD's and almost ordered me to "get rid of them"!!!!!!!!!!!! Those dogs were brilliant with my kids(2) n needless to say my kids grew up very well balanced knowing how to treat and respect dogs.
Mind, they have cats now
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Quite frankly they are idiots!!!

Yes not everyone likes dogs....not everyone has to have a dog... but to call you irresponsible is rude and wrong!!

A dog provides the child with so much more than i can describe, I firmly believe a dog can enrich a childs life. (but i think that about any pet from a hamster to a dog or a pony!).

I would much rather have my kids playing with the dogs at the park (then they have a go in the kids bit) or a run in the woods with the dogs and climb a few trees than have kids that sit infront of a TV all day, are scared of all animals and it has been proved that kids that are brought up away from animals are much more likely to develop allergies.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Well I have to say there are dangers. It happened years ago now but I still remember an incident with my son , around 9 months at the time and our Irish setter.
I was in the room and only turned my back to get something from a cupboard when the monster took off across the the room and sank his teeth, or should I say gums, into the poor dog's tail He shot into the air, bolted to his basket and stayed there for the rest of the afternoon.

Seriously, the pictures look lovely. Children gain a lot from living with a dog. I wish I could remember the reference but there was a study that found children who lived with dogs were measurably happier. I know there are risks, but if you protected children from every possible danger they'd have no life at all. They just need a bit of sensible supervision and to learn a few basic rules.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »