View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I am not against it and can see the appeal as I hate the puppy stage.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Really interesting thread this !

I think I'm with Krusewalker on this one in so much as, why is it that people like the idea of advanced training when they haven't trained a dog to a decent standard before and progress from there. Much if not all the really important work is done whilst a dog is young in order to progress reasonably well at advanced stages (obviously not all) later on. Where is the real benefit in having a pet and companion to buy it pre trained unless you're unable to train to that standard oneself? and if that is so, is that not part of raising and training and learning about dogs? What real reward is there going out and doing with your companion that someone else trained? I personally do not get it but that is just me - I suppose I believe in that if one wants to work and train at an advanced standard then one ought to put the work and learning in themselves.
I also agree with this
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I am not against it and can see the appeal as I hate the puppy stage.
sometimes so do i, but that doesn't mean if i get an older dog i still don't need to train it and not know how to do so
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I do wonder why anyone would want to do it though...the basics of training are the most important and ensuring the dog knows them and teaching them to the dog is surely a good way to ensure that you know how that dog thinks? How that dog learns and reacts??? Why get someone else to do that for you? It befuddles me...
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Nigel Mansel paid £15000 for his
http://www.a1k9.co.uk/Daily-Express-...-protector.asp
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I do wonder why anyone would want to do it though...the basics of training are the most important and ensuring the dog knows them and teaching them to the dog is surely a good way to ensure that you know how that dog thinks? How that dog learns and reacts??? Why get someone else to do that for you? It befuddles me...
here here

good post

why take away your own opportunity to learn about something you take into your own home and heart?
also, training withyour dog is a valuable part of the bonding process, and a joy to behold when you see your own efforts blossom into life, especially when you suddenly get that look of epiphany in your dog's face.
it's like you have painted a picture together.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Nigel Mansel paid £15000 for his
http://www.a1k9.co.uk/Daily-Express-...-protector.asp
£15,000 for a dog is just nuts. I'd pay £15,000 for a dog if it did my housework for me, but for a that just bites on command? crazy. Some people have more money than common sense.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
here here

good post

why take away your own opportunity to learn about something you take into your own home and heart?
also, training withyour dog is a valuable part of the bonding process, and a joy to behold when you see your own efforts blossom into life, especially when you suddenly get that look of epiphany in your dog's face.
it's like you have painted a picture together.
Exactly. That is it exactly. I don't want someone else to do that for me.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Just been pondering and I rescued Jazz so in theory free and she is a natural protector. She is very assertive when people come in but tell her shush and she does or bed and she gets on it.
And when out if some man approaches and its dark she lunges forward but soon as I tell her here she does.
So really just saved myself £15000.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Just been thinking a little more since my last post. One of the disadvantages in getting a part trained dog I think is that you have not known it from a puppy, do not know its history (or at least in detail) and therefore do not know the dog and its reactions inside out like you would if you had had it from a puppy. Also you form a relationship and understanding with a puppy from the first day it enters your house and mould it to how you want it to be. Although an adult dog is mouldable too, it is not to the same extent as a puppy. Both Cox and Belle have certain behaviours that, had I had them from a pup, I would have moulded differently, but it is harder on an adult dog set in its ways.

For example, Cox doesn't like strangers examining him at all, or even petting him. It took us 30 mins at the vets to read his microchip because he was squirming and scared of the reader, big woose. It makes vet visits a nightmare and means sedation even to look down his ears. I am working on this but it is a work in progress. If I had had him from a pup I would hope this would not have been a problem.

As another eg, both the dogs are not particularly friendly with other dogs, but not too bad. They also don't really know how to play with other dogs and that is a result of their upbringing which I couldn't control.

On the plus side, both dogs have had resources and knowledge put into their early training which I couldn't have hoped to match.

I have done the puppy thing though, and the basic training thing before though, so I know what it involves. it just happened that Cox and Belle both were looking for homes when we were thinking about adding a dog to the family. We went to see them, and felt drawn to them, and that was it, otherwise, I would be doing the puppy thing right now lol
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »