Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tancredreynolds
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by fetchmyslippers View Post
Hi, I'm hoping to adopt a rescue dog sometime soon (just started looking) but I was wondering - can you change a dog's name ? If so at what age ? Should it sound similar to their old name ?

I'm wondering what would happen if we found the best dog ever, but it had an unbearable name !

Any advice gratefully received ...
When we got our dog from the rescue his name was Marley and we changed it from day one to Harvey with no problems.
GUISEPPE
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-11-2009, 07:13 PM
we have always changed the names given by rescues, we like to give them names that we like and that mean something to us as a family.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Good, we're planning on immigrating to Canada soon and apparently "Woody" means something quite rude!!! ;o0
Yes, Yes it does! LOL.... but we'd give you a pass, being from the UK 'n'all... you guys have a "different" sense of humor... LOL
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I always change a rescues name- they would have had one before the rescue gave them one anyway- and lets face it rescues do not have the time to be very imaginative with names and i don't blame them!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Michael was a stray and called denis in the shelter he was 6months old
ATD x
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2009, 04:30 PM
My girls answer to alot of names. Meg is miss moose, meggy moo, moo and baby moo. Frey is frey ray, ray ray, freyster dewdrop, miss ray ray. Cody on the other hand refused to have his name changed. I tried for 2 weeks. We wanted to call him pride but he was having non of it. So he is cody or code lol x
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by fetchmyslippers View Post
Hi, I'm hoping to adopt a rescue dog sometime soon (just started looking) but I was wondering - can you change a dog's name ? If so at what age ? Should it sound similar to their old name ?

I'm wondering what would happen if we found the best dog ever, but it had an unbearable name !

Any advice gratefully received ...
Isis was called Ember when i got her she'd actually had a few names before i got her but I dont like the name ember and it reminded me of her previous neglect so it was changed right away and she picked up on it within a few days xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 04:16 PM
give me a handful of cheese and any one of my dogs would answer to anything
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 07:32 PM
when we got sam at 6 months, he had been abandoned so his name was unknown so we called him sam and he responded to it straight away.

jake was only 7 weeks, so he didnt respond to any name. the sspca had called him moby though, that was not being kept!

i dont think you should eliminate a dog coz the history is unknown, sams was unknown and he was an amazing dog!

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I see you are based in Edinburgh - all mine have come from the SSPCA (2 from Balerno, one from Bothwell).
both sam and jake were from the sspca in bothwell
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4