Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
We (I mean Hannah) got her tropical fish tank last week.

It's all set up and running but no fish as yet.

I'm quite looking forward to it so will no doubt have a million questions to ask soon.
Cool. What did you get then?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Cool. What did you get then?
hang on I've a picture of it.......
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Here it is.

It's 60 litres so not too big and should allow her a few fish without going OTT.

It's a lot clearer than this now - I didn't think the bubbles were ever going to go away.

Having spoken to the woman at the shop I think we've decided that 6 Zebra Danios would be a sensible start.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Here it is.

It's 60 litres so not too big and should allow her a few fish without going OTT.

It's a lot clearer than this now - I didn't think the bubbles were ever going to go away.

Having spoken to the woman at the shop I think we've decided that 6 Zebra Danios would be a sensible start.
Danios are great, i got them first and they still doing well 2 years on and get on with other fish as well. Ours is a 60 litre tank as well, we just bought this thing its a car and you put it in your tank and its bonnett opens with the water and its looks cool.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Danios are great, i got them first and they still doing well 2 years on and get on with other fish as well. Ours is a 60 litre tank as well, we just bought this thing its a car and you put it in your tank and its bonnett opens with the water and its looks cool.
Sounds like a sensible choice to kick off with then.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Your tank looks great Phil.

We started keeping tropical fish a couple of months ago and they are great - very, very entertaining. We started off with six red plattys and then over the weeks added two catfish, six neon tetras, two silver sharks, and six harlequins and six glowlights.

To my surprise when I fed them one morning about a week ago, there was a teeny tiny baby red platty in there - so they must be happy enough to breed!

Here is our tank, although you can't see any of the fish in it!

Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Well the Zebra Danios are great fun and seem to be doing great - very active little fellows and feed like there's no tomorrow.

Yesterday Hannah got her second batch of fish - 3 Ghost Catfish. Apart from the head they're totaly trasparent which is fine but as they like to hide they're really hard to see lol
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Well these 'see through' fish are a fickle bunch.

Seems they like the dark in that they hide all day long.

I've figured out that they like the lights out and they also like to feed lower down in the tank. Pop food in during the day and they get nothing - feed them at bed time (my bed time) with big sinking flakes and the food drops right past the Danio's and they have the confidence to pop out and grab it.

Who would have thought little fish take this much sussing out !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Fish can be crafty little beggars

Glad you are enjoying them. I have noticed with ours that they really seem to come alive at night.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-05-2010, 07:11 AM
there are two types of glass catfish, one grows to over 6" and is too big for your tank...worth doing research on them as they can be a little tricky to keep and easily get whitespot...
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >