Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi

just my pennies worth..... i think we should act as blank canvases not make up any ideas or judge dogs till seen with own eyes... thats what i always do
I can see your point but we have "dogs in progress" attending and I think it's a good idea to make people away of possible issues. I'm certainly not going to judge anyone on their dog's issues when I've suggested these walks to help tackle them but forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I can see your point but we have "dogs in progress" attending and I think it's a good idea to make people away of possible issues. I'm certainly not going to judge anyone on their dog's issues when I've suggested these walks to help tackle them but forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes.
we will have to agree to diagree

Tupac to is a work in progress..... but body language and tension from owners effect the situation...many a time ive been told a dog is 'like this' and not been the case.....

anyhoo...i may not see u there so u will be safe ;- lol
Rhodie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I can drive there.

I belong to a dogs walking group in Bracknell, and often take my dogs out in groups. I agree with the comment made before, that its only when dogs meet that you can view how they are going to respond, as it is dependant on the different dogs that are there, as what one person worries about as a problem another person doesn't - so its more how the owners are with them and each other rather than the dog.

My two are fine in groups - Beth (labrador) tends to ignore other dogs, though will be excited to start off with, whereas Nikki (Ridgeback) likes to interact as much as possible, usually trying to find one particular dog that he wants to spend his time with.

I used to have a problem with Beth meeting strange dogs on initial contact, but that problem appears to have been resolved and once she has met them its no problem at all - as she's not fussed about other dogs, prefering to do her own thing. For a while I took Beth to classes where there some GSDs with aggressive issues, so provided the handlers can manage their dogs effectively, I have no issue with this, as I am used to it.

Nikki is a relaxed dog, and is no problem if there is an aggressive dog in the group, though if there is an intact dog (usually young) that is trying to dominant him, he will tell it off. He is a 2.5 yrs intact male.

Both my dogs are reasonably well trained, and I would have no problem handling both of them if there was a mishap (which I am certain that there wouldn't be).
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Rhodie they sound lovely and you'll be welcome if you can make it. See on page 4 for details about parking.

I didn't suggest the questions to pre judge dogs or handlers, just thought it might be helpful to know certain things to try and avoid stressful situations for dogs in progress. For example if we all mobbed Kia with pats it would nor help her. And I personally wouldn't feel comfortable turning up with Cain and upsetting everyone because he flatterns a nervous dog by accident. I don't think we should be overly ware or judgemental and obviously will judge interactions on the day but I think it's a good idea to know what quirks sone dogs have.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I think rather than worry about what other dogs might be like we should concentrate on making sure our own are not going to cause any problems. If we have dogs which are likely to be aggressive, boisterous or rude to the others then it is up to the owner to ensure they are kept under proper control. Dogs who are "work in progress" with significant issues with other dogs will still benefit from being in the group if they are on a long or even a short lead. As they settle down, then those who were very hyped up to start with will get the idea and can be let off later, especially as they get tired.

I don't want to sound like a party pooper but we need to play it by ear and be prepared to err on the side of caution if we have a reactive or boisterous dog.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I think rather than worry about what other dogs might be like we should concentrate on making sure our own are not going to cause any problems. If we have dogs which are likely to be aggressive, boisterous or rude to the others then it is up to the owner to ensure they are kept under proper control. Dogs who are "work in progress" with significant issues with other dogs will still benefit from being in the group if they are on a long or even a short lead. As they settle down, then those who were very hyped up to start with will get the idea and can be let off later, especially as they get tired.

I don't want to sound like a party pooper but we need to play it by ear and be prepared to err on the side of caution if we have a reactive or boisterous dog.
I agree that we all need to take respinsibilty for our own dogs which is exactly the reason I asked. This infomation (on combination with real life observations on the day) will make it easier for me to ensure I do not put Cain into situations he can't handle. Eg if someone says "my dog is not keen on big dogs" then I would make an active effort to keep them apart. He'll be on a lead anyway. As well as other dogs, I need to consider Cain and not push him too far. It's just useful info for me, I will find the situation easier to handle if I have a rough idea on how to introduce him to various dogs. Obviously need observe on the day too. I have no intention of letting Cain out of control, I asked because it would help me keep him under control. I'm not entirely sure why i seem to have offended people with this question But you don't have to answer it if you don't want to. It's not just to ask about dog on dog behaviour, it was a chance for people with people shy dogs etc to speak up. I was just trying to be helpful
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I agree that we all need to take respinsibilty for our own dogs which is exactly the reason I asked. This infomation (on combination with real life observations on the day) will make it easier for me to ensure I do not put Cain into situations he can't handle. Eg if someone says "my dog is not keen on big dogs" then I would make an active effort to keep them apart. He'll be on a lead anyway. As well as other dogs, I need to consider Cain and not push him too far. It's just useful info for me, I will find the situation easier to handle if I have a rough idea on how to introduce him to various dogs. Obviously need observe on the day too. I have no intention of letting Cain out of control, I asked because it would help me keep him under control. I'm not entirely sure why i seem to have offended people with this question But you don't have to answer it if you don't want to. It's not just to ask about dog on dog behaviour, it was a chance for people with people shy dogs etc to speak up. I was just trying to be helpful
I'm not offended, I just don't want my dogs put into a difficult position either. I often walk with other dogs and my boys will completely ignore them once introductions are over. My GSP is brill with other dogs but won't tolerate what he considers to be repeated rudeness so would not be a good stooge for Cain to splat. He has never done any damage but he has put a few dogs on their backs in the dirt, and their owners have agreed that is was deserved and their dogs were out of control. But I hate putting him in that position because he hates having to do it and would rather be everyone's friend.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm sure we'll all be fine on the day. We can all read our dogs so I'm sure we can monitor them for any unwanted behaviours! I didn't mind the question at all MM, infact I like that you all already know what Kia could be like before you meet her. Means that you all know she won't welcome a big fuss being made of her! Maybe one day though eh? I'm working on it!

S x
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Hia no worries about info but if i tell you Flynn is a 9 month old GSD you may already guess
He loves play, may be very vocal at the start but play with me barks no way at all aggressive, he is a bounding ball of fluffy fun that will calm after a few minutes, he has fantastic recall with any distraction but will embarrass me BIG time with pulling on the lead
Fine with people with treats sometimes backs away from tall men but runs to mummy if he feels the need

I found out yesterday when we went to the new forest that he can have up to 10 people cuddling him at one time and thinks it is fabulous

I sooo wish i could bring Sam too just dont know if it would be good for him or overload him, but at the mo i am on cloud 9 coz weve just had 4 dogs run round us (not too close) and he was fine
xxx
cant wait
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
Hia no worries about info but if i tell you Flynn is a 9 month old GSD you may already guess
He loves play, may be very vocal at the start but play with me barks no way at all aggressive, he is a bounding ball of fluffy fun that will calm after a few minutes, he has fantastic recall with any distraction but will embarrass me BIG time with pulling on the lead
Fine with people with treats sometimes backs away from tall men but runs to mummy if he feels the need

I found out yesterday when we went to the new forest that he can have up to 10 people cuddling him at one time and thinks it is fabulous

I sooo wish i could bring Sam too just dont know if it would be good for him or overload him, but at the mo i am on cloud 9 coz weve just had 4 dogs run round us (not too close) and he was fine
xxx
cant wait
It's going to be brill!! Bring your swim suit!
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »