Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 03:58 PM

So pleased with my vet today

As you might have read I had to rush Star in he vet this morning, she had bloat but thankfully without the torsion, and I went back to my old vets. Anyway I had moved vets as when I moved here I moved to a closer vets but after going a few times I felt they were just after my money and no real passion for the animals.

So back at my old vets today who were wonderful and in chatting about the latest research on GDV the vet said about raising the bowls and i'd queried it as I have read research suggesting otherwise.

So I just got a phone call, he'd been away looking at the latest research for me and confirmed that yes indeed the most up to date and absolutely pukka research says you should feed from a low bowl and also from a flat surface, such as a baking tray as this helps slow the dog down. So pleased I went back with them as he has taken time out to look that up for me and call and let me know.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
its great to have a vet that cares,

I would stick with him/her,
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Its so nice to have a vet that really cares about your animals. We trust these people with the most important thing in our lives so i think its paramount to have a vet you like.

When we first went to our vet she hadnt heard of the NI, the next time a couple of weeks later she knew as much as we did nearly!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
You definitely made the right decision to go back to your old vet.

As in any profession there are those that qualify and think "that's it", they've done all the learning they need to.

The good ones, like your vet, continue researching and learning all their lives.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Low bowl eh? That's good to know, I'll have to switch it. Sounds like your vet is brilliant
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
You've a good vet there I would stick with them.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2009, 05:57 PM
It's great when you have a vet you feel you can trust and who you feel is really more interested in your animal's welfare than the money. Sadly, in my experience, those kinds are getting rarer and the ones who only see the ££££s are getting more common.

At our surgery there is one vet who is fantastic and who I always feel is really 'singing from the same hymn sheet' as us when it comes to Oscar's treatment, the other hates it if you question her judgement, or provide an opinion of your own.

So glad you have a vet who is good and right behind you in caring for your dog/s. Also glad Star is ok and the bloat wasn't any worse.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Sounds like you have a great vet. How thoughtful of him to read up on bloat then phone you.

I think I will be buying a baking sheet tomorrow for my boy to eat from. Better keep it separate, just in case the family use it to cook something on.

Hope your doggy is still recovering well. xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Aww what a lovely vet Glad you went back to your old one x
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Its great you have a lovely vet, we did, but he retired last year and as yet no-one has filled his shoes... I am actually researching new vets and am very tempted to go to one alot further away as one lady who works as their manager, is the lady I got my rescue guinea pigs' from (she runs the rescue!) and she is also their bereavement counsellor... I do think you should be able to trust your vet and feel they are not just after your cash!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >