View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Are all your dogs trained to the same level?

For those with multiple dogs, are they all trained the same commands/tricks, and to the same level?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 12:44 PM
No. I train each dog to the level they're capable of, and for things they enjoy. Ollie and Scout ADORE tricks and training, but enjoy different tricks more than others, Mouse and Boo cant do alot of things due to their long backs and short legs.

Besides the fact that they all require different techniques and motivation...

If I had all the same breed, then possibly, but even within a breed, every dog is unique.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
I have two dogs one is 11 (owed all my life since he was born) and the other is 2 years. they are both trained to differnt levels. This is because I got the 2 year old last year and he didnt know anything, Therefore he has only had a years worth of training. The 11 year old has been trianed from five weeks of age.

I aim to get the 2 year old up to the same level of training as the 11 year old, which I feel he is more than capable of.

Hope this helps
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
No. I train each dog to the level they're capable of, and for things they enjoy. Ollie and Scout ADORE tricks and training, but enjoy different tricks more than others, Mouse and Boo cant do alot of things due to their long backs and short legs.

If I had all the same breed, then possibly, but even within a breed, every dog is unique.
same here, they are both so different
Ben loves running in circles tricks - but sees no point in little paw tricks and dosent do holding things in his mouth

Mia LOVES doing stuff with her paws but moving tricks take longer
and she loves making eye contact just to make sure you are seeing how good she is being - Ben gets unhappy if people are making eye contact with him and he likes staring at the point he thinks the treat should be delivered - funny when you are trying to reward with your hand and your dog is happijly zoned out at a patch of carpet waiting for it to grow a treat for him
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post

Same here!

No they are not trained to the same level. Generally I am much more interested in solidifying just general control training (recalls, stays, stops, leaves, etc.) than trick training or likewise.

They have their own strengths and weaknesses and areas that they are better and worse at. Dexter is excellent with steadiness, Bo is excellent at instantly responding and directional control, etc. Part of these are in-built temperament traits, so I'll never get Dexter to the same training level as Bo for direction control, simply because he isn't wired that way!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Nope because each have their own disciplines. Flynn is nowhere near at the same level of obedience as Jed is (and never will because because he's just not a collie!) and similarly, Jed doesnt know any of the gundog commands. As for Jessie, she knows very little!

I expect them all to know their basic and everyday commands but from there it's different for each dog. It can get a little bit frustrating when I alternate dogs in obedience class week to week because we might do retrieves on the week I take Jed and heelwork on the week I take Flynn, neither of which is a winning combination!

I'm not big into trick training so I teach tricks to the dogs depending on what their natural behaviours are geared towards. Flynn knows 'twirl' and 'speak' because these are 2 of the things he does anyway, I just put a command to them. I havent taught the collies 'speak' because they are naturally quiet dogs and TBH, I cant be bothered to put in the work training a trick that has no use. I prefer to shape a behaviour already offered rather than trying to train them to do something pointless which doesnt come naturally to them.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Cherry and Parker were.

Izzy-well I think she is a work in progress!

I can recall Parker off bunnies on the heath and he knows tons of different commands but Izzy is a bit more independant minded shall we say!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Nope mine neither, Poppy is a busy terrier and Kiara an intelligent one (possiblt too intelligent for me ) Poppy like to be on the go so all her training is worked around that, Kiara likes to work things out.
Bailey is possibly the dog with the most commands as I had to teach him lots for his saftey but he likes smelling out tricks, although they all do the basics sit, stay, down, recall etc to a pretty high standard.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
For those with multiple dogs, are they all trained the same commands/tricks, and to the same level?

Yes more or less.

Both have the same level of general domestic obedience, both track, retrieve, jump, search, etc etc to the same level if different style.

I do not do protection work with one as she is not interested and I have not done agility with one as I am not interested in agility per se.

Otherwise they both do the same stuff, breed, WT, Schutzhund, KCGDS etc etc.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 07:31 AM
No, I do a lot of work with Culotte as I like to take her out so she needs to be better trained than the others, the other 6 all have the basics but as they are on the farm most of the time they dont need to be perfect saying that they are all good dogs and do pretty much what they are told to do.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >