View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:16 PM
have to agree with you hosuedog .. i see better dogs at fun shows than sometimes in the ring .... the owners have just decided not to go down that route....
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:20 PM
So only dogs shown or assessed by a "breed expert" are worth breeding from? That is ridiculous. If that were the case thousands would not have their dogs. Not everybody is interested in a dog that comes from show lines or a winning show dog. Dont you think there are responsible breeders capable of breeding from two dogs who are not show winners, like I say not everybody is interested in showing so does this mean only those who show really should be breeding dogs? What about those who work their dogs....are the only people capable of assessing a "good" dog those who show them? I dont think so.

I think it is completley wrong to say that a dog should not be bred from unless it is shown or assessed by a so called breed expert.

I had intended to breed my bitch Cassy (will not be now) I know who and what she is she has shown me everything I need to know and I certainly dont need a breed expert to tell me whether she is worthy, she certainly does not need to be shown to become worthy of breeding!!! I was in no way doing it for the money and just because she has not been assessed do I think she is any less worthy than the next who may or may not be a show dog!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I meant to add, I do agree on the point about improving on what you already have. It would be pointless to breed imo if you are not improving on what you already have.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Speaking for my own breed, Staffords, none of the first three generations on the pedigree of my dogs have been shown, and they are at least the equal of any show champion I have ever encountered. It is totally impossible to assess a dog in the confines of a showring, and if these self proclaimed exeperts tell you different, then that speaks volumes for their knowledge of canines.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:28 PM
who are the self proclaimed experts?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:30 PM
like in my breed .everyone rushes off to use the latest champion and then we all wonder why the gene pool is so small in years to come a problem we are having now
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Hello Lel,
By SP Experts I mean those who think they are actually stating a fact rather than an opinion, and those who are foolish enough to take their opinions as fact, in short many show judges.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:38 PM
we are moving into a different topic here I think
As to whether the show ring does actually reflect the higher standard of the breed

thats a debate for another day-
unless anyone wants to start one now lol
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Ohh I think that could get VERY heated lol.

My main point was in reply to the fact that it was hinted the only dogs worthy of breeding are those assesed by a "breed expert" or those who are shown/doing well at showing. Like the rest of us who decide not to dont have a brain or an eye for a good dog lol.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Hello Laura,
don't see where the heat is, only expressing an opinion like everyone else.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >