View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Sadly Tee, I think that the reputation of staffis and akitas and other such dogs are becoming worse as they become more popular, as a lot of the time they are popular for all of the wrong reasons sadly.They are alos suffering as a result of terrible breeding which doesn't help. I don't think them being more widespread benefits them at all. All very sad.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Sadly Tee, I think that the reputation of staffis and akitas and other such dogs are becoming worse as they become more popular, as a lot of the time they are popular for all of the wrong reasons sadly.They are alos suffering as a result of terrible breeding which doesn't help. I don't think them being more widespread benefits them at all. All very sad.
Actually Ailsa, I didn't think of it like that. I see what you mean. I suppose I can only speak for myself because if Staffys hadn't become so popular I'm not sure I would feel the way I do about them. Who knows.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Hand on heart, I have to say, that it's people on here who have educated me about staffis, rather than people that I meet out and about that have them. In fact, truth be known, Dani (Brundog) is the main person who is responsible for me understanding them better. She proves to me (as do others on here but she sticks out as we had an interesting discussion soon after I joined!)that responsible ownership makes all the difference.It was something I already knew but she proved it to me. It was also having the joy of sharing my home with a GSD cross (who's personality was very much GSD) that helped change my attitude.
I just think it's sad that these breeds suffer such a bad reputation, when it should be the owners. The akita attack I mentioned weas in the news again earlier as they have been questioning a man about it and have seized the dog.
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie
My jack russell was attacked a year ago by an off lead akita and an alsation- luckily I managed to scoop her up before any damage was done, These dogs were off lead. Now shes terrified of any dog that looks like them The owner of these dogs was indifferent
Where do you live, im in the north east and see an off lead akita and gsd often too
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi I live in Middlesbrough- unfortunately a LOT of irresponsible owners and badly behaved dogs around here- Im always on my guard....u have Sharpeis ? Some friends of mine in Guisborough breed them
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Hello, im in northumberland and we have our fair share of morons with macho breeds off the lead too

yes i have shar-pei, unless your friends show i wont know who they are.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by dizzy
Hello, im in northumberland and we have our fair share of morons with macho breeds off the lead too

yes i have shar-pei, unless your friends show i wont know who they are.
they show- they are taking four of theirs to Crufts - all qualified- name is Alistair Maclean- they will be at the Darlington Show in September
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2006, 04:53 PM
yes ive heard of them
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I spoke with Alistair yesterday- not sure if they have a Kennel name but they've breeding Sharpeis for a long time
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 05:53 PM
It does concern me too that dog attacks, on other dogs and humans, seem to be on the increase. No doubt this has a connection with the yob culture where dogs are specifically bred and reared to be aggressive, and some no doubt used in professional dog fighting but some of the breeds that are used in these circles have also gained popularity with the general public and I don't agree with some of the feelings expressed here that the owners are always to blame. At least not to blame for creating an aggressive dog, but maybe to blame for not properly researching the breed first and being properly equipped to deal with the temperament.

A dog's temperament is far more than a product of his rearing. The genes that have been selected in the formation of a breed will still be present, to a lesser or greater degree, dependant on more recent selectional criteria, and it should be no surprise that aggressive tendencies will be apparent in some dogs of this type, even without deliberate training for aggression.

It's normal to have a wide range of temperament in any breed, obviously because all dogs are different genetically and no two have had identical environmental stimuli, but there are generalisations that run through the different types. This is why Gundog breeds are chosen for gundog work, Herders for herding, fighting breeds for aggression etc. It doesn't mean that all dogs of that type will display the expected temperament, just that they are more likely to than other breeds.

The recent trend in cross breeding aggressive breeds could also see an increase in human attacks by dogs. Traditional fighting breeds such as the Staffy and Pitbull are said to be particularly good natured with people, and I'm sure that most are, but when these breeds are crossed with say a guarding breed with natural suspicion of strangers, there would be a chance of a pup inheriting the traits that make a fighting breed supreme at his job ie high within-species aggression, high pain threshold, stoicism and non display or recognition of the submission reflex, and no warning of attack given. This coupled with aggression to humans from another breed could make a lethal combination in the right circumstances.

I know BSL can't provide all the answers but realistically, I see no other way to deal with this problem.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >