View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I have 2 dog gates (4ft) and 2 baby gates (3ft) in our house. They work very well and you certainly get used to having them up. All of mine could clear them easily if they so wished, but none have ever tried, not even over the small 3ft ones
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes I have a short one I made myself by screwing pieces of 1x2" baton in the doorway and a mesh covered barrier slides in and out. I had it when Amy was tiny, I could climb over it so it mainly stayed in place . I still have it for my next puppy but removed the battons
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005 (Custom).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2302  
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2006, 03:19 PM
We had a Lindum dog gate at our old house which was positioned to stop Poppy getting into the hallway and out the front door and also so she couldn't get up the stairs - she wouldn't walk down in the old house. Didn't have one to stop her getting into the kitchen because the door to the garden was in the kitchen and she knew that's where she had to go out to the toilet.

In the new house, the kitchen is at the front of the house, so we have one baby gate with 3 extension rods (couldn't get extensions for the Lindum) in the hall which stops her getting into the kitchen when I'm cooking (kitchen is much smaller than old house) and also stops her getting out of the front door, but she can still see who is at the door when you open it, so she's not so bothered. We don't have one for the stairs any more as she has now decided (thanks to her curiosity ) she can actually walk down the stairs.

Wouldn't be without the gate at the front door though, despite teaching her to wait at doors until she's invited through, I can't guarantee she would be out the door like a shot if we opened it
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 03:47 PM
i have 2 childrens stairgates,one at the top of the stairs and the other on my bedroom so when it is hot i can have the door open without thedogs running riot
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
WE have em too!!! Lovely pic Foxy.

Got ours cos of Grandson and not knowing how he would treat new pups, they are excellent, got two baby gates, keeps Toby away from pups when I am not able to play with them eg making tea or dinner (lunchtime!!!) no such thing as dinner at night!!!! They are a good help, dont use them closed when Grandson not here as they are older now so behave in the house, most of the time, do not let them have run of house when out though!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Always use baby gates, adults can jump them but only one of mine does.
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
I think you can get ones that extend or shrink if your door is a different size Not sure though!

Yup you can ours from IKEA extends- its really good. You can close the gate and not lock it so it is easy to lift up and down or you can lock it so they definatly can't get out. It was only cheap. Bo can jump it but she knows when she is in her bed thats where she stays.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Yep one on the stairs and one at the living room. They are a Godsend!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah must admit I think it would be easier for everyone concerned, just gotta convince them now!

I mean not long after I get mine we're looking after Harvey (Bichon Monster) who's only 5 months old anyway, so I think a baby gate will be a must!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 07:43 PM
We had a few baby gates up when the boys were much younger, now aged 5 (almost 6) and 7 years old we have taken them done - with the exception of the one at the top of the stairs.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >