View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Other than to say that I'm glad that my doggy pals are of an un-docked breed, I'm staying out of this one!

Snorri
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2006, 10:31 PM
II heard that the kennel club are having a problem with it as working dogs are exempt from the ban but the pup must be docked before five days old. Working dog who are docked cannot be shown at any show where the public pay a fee to enter such as Crufts which will have a huge effect on gundogs etc
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by trikeschick
I too have a Dobermann (just 13 weeks old) and was led to believe that damage to the spine can occur if the tail is not docked.

I think docking when it is for medical reasons is okay but cosmetic should definitely be banned. Isn't there a docked breed council in existence that champions docking for certain breeds only on medical grounds?
Definitely not going to argue with you as I don't own a docked breed and my info may be wrong, but I recently read that when dobermanns were originally docked and cropped, it was so that an attacker wouldn't be able to get a handle on the dog by grabbing it's tail or ears. My source information said nothing about spinal damage unless you mean if someone grabs it.

As I understand it (and again, I could be wrong) dobes only need their tails docked when working as protectors (also the reason for cropping the ears as they are harder to grab when cropped).

However - I do not know enough, despite some interesting reading, to say whether I agree or not, and as I don't own a docked breed for now, I won't comment
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Up to date info 'here'
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by gracelund
II heard that the kennel club are having a problem with it as working dogs are exempt from the ban but the pup must be docked before five days old. Working dog who are docked cannot be shown at any show where the public pay a fee to enter such as Crufts which will have a huge effect on gundogs etc
Yes I read that too, I also read that if it isn't thrown out by the house of lords the bad should take effect from November this year.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2006, 07:12 AM
The Dobermann was originally bred as a guard dog and ear cropping apparently was to make it look more fierce. I cant see how spinal damage would result from them keeping their tails as its such a small, skinny tail anyway. I do think docking them now is cosmetic as they definately look better but thats why i have mixed feelings.
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Found this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4807372.stm

and as louie has already added a link to rally parliament for all you pro docking I thought i'd add a link for those against (just to make it fair )
http://www.emmathevet.co.uk/petition1.asp
Honesty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:11 AM
own a docked breed, wish she wasn't.
deffo against, just my opinion.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:12 AM
I think it should be left entirley to the breeders discretion
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I too own a dobie pup, and haev to say it looks far better docked.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >