View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 12:06 PM

First puppy training session, but no Willow!

I have just come back from our first Good Citizen KC puppy training session. On my own. Apparently they like to meet up with the owners first, run through a few basics before the 1-1 training starts.

Willow's first session, next Sunday, will be with a GSD, collie, golden retriever, border terrier, and another cocker, who happens to be her brother! The breeder mentioned it to me so I introduced myself to her owner, we're both excited about how they take to each other next week

One thing the trainer warned of was dog thefts. Now she has me paranoid. I've told OH that we shouldn't walk her near the house while she is a pup in case someone sees her and links her to the house and breaks in to get her. I know, I know, paranoia. I just couldn't bear it. So we've decided to take her in the car to various different spots twice a day to walk her. Is this a bit OTT or do you think it is sensible?

Anyway, the trainer is nice, stands for no nonsense, and seems to know what she's talking about. Another good thing: she went through training and handling do's and don'ts, and I seem to be on the right track, so far anyway
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 12:24 PM
We take our dog all over the place for walks and he loves going in the car but I also think it is important that your pup learns all about the neighbourhood he lives in. If you were ever unlucky enough to lose him he might be able to find his way home again if he knows the area he lives in.

I think the chances of someone breaking in to your house to steal your pup are very small. Dog thieves are out there but as long as you take all reasonable precautions - don't leave them out in the garden if you are not at home, never leave him tied up outside a shop etc. - he should be fine.

It is impossible to guard against everything but as long as you are taking care he should be fine and you don't want to be frightened to take him out otherwise all the fun of owning a dog will be overshadowed by fear of losing him.

Enjoy
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Katrina it sounds very sensible going to the first session of the class alone.

Be aware of puppy theft of course and take every sensible precautions against it but don't let it dominate you way of life and don't transfer your anxiety to Willow.