Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
WOW! still busy here

but right that, it really gave me to think about

so maybe?

as well known, over there in the US, (almost?) everyone runs around with a gun, in the pocket, in the glovebox in the car, in the handbag, etc, etc, etc...

maybe so, over there, their breedings of dogs are as well in the direction of, to breed right the aggressivity out of several breeds, that they even need an e-collar, for to get them under controll at all?

guess if I had one of those aggressive dogs and when I come, to train it with a clicker, but the dog would just grin at me with bared teeth, I think, in that case, I also would prefer to have the remote control of its e-collar in my hands, instead of that silly clicker

And right back 'atcha Malpeki, because I have absolutely no idea what this post means.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
Oh! i just did see! i made the threehundredth post of that Threat!

did I win a price now?

No, the prize goes to the sponsors, who are laughing all the way to the bank!
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
You asked how to train and proof a dog to stop in an emergency. Two part tutorial here, using positive reinforcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hD6t9nfqjPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6r6_MEtj6I
Very good egroeg, and I will have more to say when time permits. For now, suffice to say that this is pretty much how I teach and condition
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
Brierley, at the risk of repeating myself: As I have noted before, I am well aware of what method y'all use, and of why you use it. What has not been offered except for one or two instances, is the how. How do you teach a command, how do you deal with the trained dog which chooses to fail, how would you put a life-saving stop on a dog like the ones I have, with reference to the situations I have described?

Again risking repetition, my observations of positive methods over here have been less than enlightening, as I previously noted. Since the what and why are the same over here as in your country, the thing here that produces a result different from the ones y'all get there must be in the how, and that is what I am after. Specific enough?

I think somewhere along the line, I've given you a couple of instances.

The dog who was brought, through working through basic training, working the environment and habituation, from killing loose hens around the farmyard to happily being amongst them.

My own dog who had a default down command that was used in emergency situations.

Details of the latter are brief. I'd never taught him distance commands. I wasn't a dog trainer at the time, far from it. Once day out in the field where we walked, a track bike flew out of the bushes without warning. My dog had run out after his ball, turned and was on the homeward path to bring it back to me (his favourite game). Had he continued his run, he'd have been under the wheels of the bike. A recall would have made the situation worse and, thankfully, an instinct kicked in and I yelled a 'down'. He dropped like a stone and the bike went through at exactly the point where my dog would have been had he continued.

I learned a very valuable lesson that day that I used constantly in subsequent training - work with the dog's traits and instincts. To a Border Collie, a down is a natural as breathing.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Since the what and why are the same over here as in your country, the thing here that produces a result different from the ones y'all get there must be in the how, and that is what I am after. Specific enough?
I don't think we produce different results here. I feel sure there must be trainers? owner in your neck of the woods that are excellent in what they do.

Have you visited any to observe how they work or do you go on the say-so of your clients/friends?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Could I ask, besides hunting with your dogs, what other activities/fun leisure pursuits do you do with them?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2013, 09:10 AM
I have one final question, what happens when you take the collar off? or are they permanently fixed to your dogs necks? see for me if you have trained the command well enough in the first place, you shouldn't need to reinforce, and please don't presume that my dogs have never been in situations that maybe life threatening, you don't know me, my dogs, or where we go and what we do, i think you'll find that dogs in this country have far more scope to get in to trouble as they have far more freedom in a much more confined area, you're never that far from a main road over here, and yet we do manage to train our dogs to an acceptable standard without an e collar.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2013, 09:25 AM
No, I use it to correct failure on commands I have already proofed. And I do indeed use it outside of hunting.
Ok thank you, so you don't just use it for sport. That was one of the things i was not sure about, however you have cleared that up now.

To clarify, do you then only use it to "correct" (as I would say, "punish") a failure to obey a command?

One thing that I really dislike using aversives for in this sort of situation is that so often it's handler fault if the dog does not obey - because of inadvertant body language or because the dog cannot hear due to wind direction etc.

Example: Dog is told to Stay in car, owner moves away to put her coat on, but her body language tells the dog to get out of the car; dog jumps out and is yelled at for jumping out and "disobeying".

Example: different type of communication problem but take a dog who has been taught "Down" and the owner tells the dog to get "Down" off the sofa and then wonders why the dog continues to lie there ("But I AM doing a Down mum!") or gets ancy when the collar is grabbed to get the dog off, usually by then in a very grumpy manner, assuming the dog is being disobedient.

I've not found many people who use aversives who understand how important body language can be or how easily owners (humans") can mess up what is going on for the dog.

Seen it even on professional videos.

It's really not easy for our poor dogs sometimes. That's just yet one more reason as to why I so prefer to use non aversive methods.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Wys, I address this post ASAP, but my response will probably drone on and typing has become difficult, and I am trying to get shorter responses out of the way first. I may not get to it until tomorrow, but stay tuned, because I will post a response
Ok thanks,

Wys
x
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
And right back 'atcha Malpeki, because I have absolutely no idea what this post means.
Oh doesn't matter,
surely it's because of my lack of English, I don't mind
certainly I could explain it to you, what I'm meaning, far better in German, but then you just wouldn't understand the same

but I really do not care about, if you can understand me or not, quite enough, that I can understand what you are saying
Page 32 of 36 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »