Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 09:49 AM

Native Horses/Ponies

I am hoping in the not too distant future (once we are settled) to look at getting my own horse/pony. As wherever we live (whether here or in Highland Perthshire) is pretty remote, bleak and can certainly get the weather, I am thinking that a native is going to be my best bet, as they are more hardy and sturdy and can live out without any bother.

Has anyone had a native before? If so, I would love to know what your experiences were of owning and riding a native. I particularly like Highlands, Fell and Dales, and Welsh Cobs.

Pictures are most welcome
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Love all of the above, the Highland is a stunning "stubborn" breed, but if you want hearty , you will get it in spades..

Mind so are the others, bare in mind all native ponies come with a stubborn steak, but love them all no the less
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Jackie. Have you owned any natives? Any pics? I have been told that they all have a "good sense of humour"!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks Jackie. Have you owned any natives? Any pics? I have been told that they all have a "good sense of humour"!
That's a god way of putting it.

Have owned some of the smaller ones section B`s C`s, but have known a few D`s, and one Highland.. the highland was simply gorgeous, but as strong and as stubborn as an ox

Personally I would go for a middle aged one , over 6 yrs old, one that has had a bit of schooling and knows the ropes, also what size do you want... the highland along with some can reach 15hh (and a bit ) do you want a 15 hh er or smaller, all these things need to be looked at.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 01:08 PM
My friends neighbour has 2 highlands (who i speak to in a scottish accent so they feel at home) and they are real crackers shame they are not suited to the 'harsh climes' of leicestershire and seem to permanently wear their grazing muzzles!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That's a god way of putting it.

Have owned some of the smaller ones section B`s C`s, but have known a few D`s, and one Highland.. the highland was simply gorgeous, but as strong and as stubborn as an ox

Personally I would go for a middle aged one , over 6 yrs old, one that has had a bit of schooling and knows the ropes, also what size do you want... the highland along with some can reach 15hh (and a bit ) do you want a 15 hh er or smaller, all these things need to be looked at.
A middle aged, been there, seen it, done it is exactly what I will be looking for. At the riding school, I am on a 15.1hh and she is about the perfect size. I am swaying towards either a Highland or Welsh Sec D at the moment, but of course finding the right individual will probably be of more importance than the breed. I am not adverse to a x native either.

Thanks for your advice
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
My friends neighbour has 2 highlands (who i speak to in a scottish accent so they feel at home) and they are real crackers shame they are not suited to the 'harsh climes' of leicestershire and seem to permanently wear their grazing muzzles!!
Too much lush grass down there Dobermonkey? I do love the Highlands, but as I said to Jackbox, I think probably finding the right individual will take precedence over which breed or x I eventually get.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:36 PM
OOHh what riding school are you going to?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
OOHh what riding school are you going to?
Kimmerston, near Wooler.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 07:29 PM
soz dont no about highland natives but weve got 2 new forest ponies and they are great, hardy dont need pampering wioth stables in fact they hate stables hate rugs dont cost too much to keep as they live on fresh air
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »