Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Really enjoyed that! (Did he pee on the railings?)
Cruiser pee's on anything that stays still long enough
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I dont think they should ever be used. i saw 2 seperate episodes of its me of the dog USA where people had used them.

one of the dogs, a boxer, always jumped the garden fence so the owner got one with an electric wire around the garden fence so if the dog went too close she would get a shock. it didnt work so the owner put it up really high and so the dog got a really bad shock and then was terrified to go into the garden at all. poor dog was stuck in the house all day as the woman didnt walk her and she was too terrified to go out in the garden.

the other one was where a bulldog had one when she was only 5 months old and it actually burnt a hole in her neck. i think they are horrible and totally inhumane
lauren
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
True, but I personally would take the risk rather than just go straight for the e-collar. It would really depend on how determined the dog was to get the snake. Daddy was pretty determined, Tassle reminded us, along with some other of Cesar's dogs.

Tai - provided I "get his attention" before he has made the initial "break" - can be stopped in his tracks from chasing anything, even sheep. But Hal? No, never. I think with him in that situation I would have had to consider keeping him on the lead whilst trying to train him to leave. He had such lightening reactions though, although possibly not as lightening as a snake - the thought of an e-collar is horrendous. I hope I am never in a situation where I would have to decide!
Did I?

I do not watch CM and had no idea about Daddy
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Gnasher I`m sorry you feel I consistently attack you. I thought I was disagreeing with you - particularly on a thread I began that you took over. Indeed, because I disagreed so strongly with your views (as you state them) I had you on my Ignore list till a couple of days ago.
So to spare you further attacks I`ll put you back on. I suggest you do the same with me.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Gnasher, if you have problems with posts being deleted by moderators please contact admin. I am at at loss to see why anyone could be jealous of you, can you explain this comment ..

My post above addresses the original topic 'can there ever be justification for the use of e collars' so is not off topic .

I am sure there must be some places in the whole of the USA that don't contain rattle snakes, I have friends and family who lived in the USA ,had dogs,let them off the lead and the dogs survived!

Some dogs suffer anaphylactic shock as the result of wasp and bee stings, are you suggesting everyone in the UK should teach insect aversion with the use an e collar just in case their dog is susceptible to stings?
Darling Mini, it is of course because my wolf crosses are such wonderful dogs !! What else did you think ?

Sorry, but part of your post WAS off topic - you were talking about Daisy - nothing to do with e-collars that I know of! - and then you made some bitchy remarks about me ! Still, as I say, when you are a moderator ....

As I have already said to you, I find that Admin very rarely, if ever, will answer private messages or complaints. Just my opinion of course, maybe other people are treated otherwise

You still haven't explained to me where and how you are supposed to magically "know" which dog park, or recreational area is "snake free" - guaranteed. Here in the UK, we have adders, as you know, who generally are to be found on heathland. However, OH told me that his father found a whole ball of adders in his greenhouse, nowhere near heathland ! I guess the adage "you can never tell with snakes" applies !

Indeed, you are quite right, as wolfdog has already told us, dogs in the UK indeed can go into anaphylactic shock as the result of a bee sting, or indeed an adder bite or wasp sting. Thankfully though, these are pretty rare, and I think it would be totally over the top to use an e-collar on a dog to train him not to snap at bees or wasps! Life is full of risks, for us and for our pets, we cannot protect ourselves or them from every danger.

However, the risk of serious injury or death from snake bite in the US does seem to be real, and I personally think that CM was justified in his actions.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Gnasher I`m sorry you feel I consistently attack you. I thought I was disagreeing with you - particularly on a thread I began that you took over. Indeed, because I disagreed so strongly with your views (as you state them) I had you on my Ignore list till a couple of days ago.
So to spare you further attacks I`ll put you back on. I suggest you do the same with me.
Claire, I have to say how extremely nice of you to make such a public declaration. It is very much appreciated.

And yes, I do feel that you consistently attack me ! But let's kiss and make up, or shake hands if you don't fancy me !!

Please don't ignore me, not now we have made up ! We will never agree of course, but we don't need to make nasty remarks !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Did I?

I do not watch CM and had no idea about Daddy

Sorry darling - I meant Trouble !!

Well it does begin with a T - I was nearly right !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I dont think they should ever be used. i saw 2 seperate episodes of its me of the dog USA where people had used them.

one of the dogs, a boxer, always jumped the garden fence so the owner got one with an electric wire around the garden fence so if the dog went too close she would get a shock. it didnt work so the owner put it up really high and so the dog got a really bad shock and then was terrified to go into the garden at all. poor dog was stuck in the house all day as the woman didnt walk her and she was too terrified to go out in the garden.

the other one was where a bulldog had one when she was only 5 months old and it actually burnt a hole in her neck. i think they are horrible and totally inhumane
lauren
Lozzibear : that's horrible ! I have to say I am beginning to go off the e-collar for all but the most serious of cases. If these cases are true, and not "News of the World" tittle tattle, then that's awful and I am feeling really sick to the stomach.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
So..did you see Cruiser's recall??
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

Note Cruisers recall
Lovely lovely lovely !! I SO enjoyed that Louise, thank you so much. They are absolutely gorgeous dogs. I laughed to watch them, they were so joyous !! And such enthusiastic recalls !!

What fabulous dogs Mals are. Very wolfy
Page 9 of 45 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »