Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 09:17 AM

What is the point of micro chipping?

just heard about a dog that was stolen and was micro chipped police know where the dog is BUT due to data protection cant tell the owners the address of where their dogs is!!!!!
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 09:34 AM
If the police know it is stolen surely they could retrieve the dog for them.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Micro chips do not prove ownership in England & Wales as they are neither permanent nor a mark which are both required to legally prove ownership.

The microchip is all that is legally owned by the person who had it implanted

If the police know where the dog is they must have had the dog scanned & contacted Petlog or similar. So the registry should have been told where the chip is if nothing else.

One thing the owner could do is ask where the microchip is(ie address)as the legal owner they are allowed to be told that !
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:42 PM
This makes me so cross, if it was a car they would return it to it's owner. Dogs are treated like lost property not living beings with feelings and emotions.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:50 PM
I think it depends. Know nothing of this situation but with Muffy, we were given her by a friend who was going to put her back into rescue for something like her 3rd time I think. She gave us her free of charge. Met her a few years later after I had got Muffin to her ideal weight, coat back in good condition, obedience trained her and she said she wanted her back. Told her there was no chance. But I hadnt changed her chip details, started worrying if Muffin were by chance ever to go missing they would take her back to their address and I would never see her again :'( So decided to risk changing her chip details. They have to send a letter to person previously registered with her so I thought there would have been an issue. Turned out they had moved address so never probably saw the request. Muffys now got my details on her chip. Surely they could tell by how long the dog had been registered at the vets with the person or something? If the dog went missing or stolen surely the police must do something