Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 02:53 PM

vets charges

i had lola (bt) spayed last week now my usual vet was charging me 180 pounds i found another vet 6 miles away who was cheaper, my friend had her lab spayed there first so i saw the service she got she was gobsmacked to be charged 115 pounds a it was sooo cheap, so loa went there and ive had no prblems (stitches out next wed) and was charged including the"lampshade" to stop her licking 98 pounds!!! same op , same service, so why the vast anount of differnece in the money?? also my vetcharges me 31 pounds for a booster this vet charges 21 pounds. why???
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 03:03 PM
There could be a variety of reasons.

The overheads at one could be higher than the other - perhaps higher rent/fuel bills/wages etc.

Or perhaps one has more modern equipment than the other and is still paying for it.

Perhaps they have different pricing scales - one may put more on the cost of ops but have lower consultancy fees etc.

Or perhaps one is just greedier than the other.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 04:19 PM
its a difficult one, my current charges £30 consult fee and I get quite irritated by that when another one locally does not charge that, however I really trust him and he likes my dog and my dog loves him so for me the amount of times i have to go there its not overly concerning. However if you feel comfortable with this cheaper vet then I would suggest switching.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Only £98 for a spay? Blimey, I wish I had your vet.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I am now registered with 2 vets, naughty I know but, one charges a hefty consult but spays and neutered are a lot cheaper, however Dusty's urine infection was not. The other vet's consult is cheaper but the spays and neuters are much more expensive. So totally depends what I need the vet for!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Large dog spay at my old vet was going to be £210 last I checked! Not sure of the new one off the top of my head but my cat's castration was only £35.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I think Tiani's spay was £115 in Feb.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I am also registered at 2 vets, as different things are different prices at them, as they are in different areas!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:15 PM
we are with 2 vets our local one is a good one to one BUT when i though lola had cecs she never heard of it and wanted to take bloods but didnt look into cecs. when she had another cramping fit i took her for bloods and saw a loccum there i mentiond cecs she also never heard of it but id bloods ran me the next day as all came back negative AND had googled cecs and yes i was right what i decribed was cecs so why didnt the original vet do her home work? so although i like her i like to have other opinions,
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:21 PM
We moved vets a few years back. Not because of the price difference, but that has been quite noticable.

The vets charge £21 for a consult and are very reasonable about other things as well. It helps that I have a professional relationship with them as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >