Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stickel
New Member!
Male 

06-08-2006, 09:31 AM

Staff with noise sensitivity problem

Hi,

I have owned Staffies for about 10years now, both red and white and bitches, what fantastic dogs, as you all know. Sadly I lost my eldest 1 (she was 10) a few months ago, devastated.

I wonder if someone could help with a query that I have, the bitch that is left, is a complete mess, she had trouble getting over the loss, took about 2 to 3 weeks off searching for the other one and generally mourning, spoke too the oringinal breeder and he said it would take a few weeks, she has settled now.

But she has always been sensitive too noise, (sensitive being an understatement!!) fireworks is a nightmare, she was on prescibed anti-depressant from the vets (cant remember what at this moment) did'nt really work, Loud radio in the toilet with the expelair on did work for a little while, but she ruined the door frame and lost a few claws trying to get out, cage with blanket on it and music, again few claws missing. but now its got to the stage where every little noise she goes frantic, Her bed used too be in the utility room and the door shut, stopped that because she ruined the door frame (with something that spooked her, got no idea what) so now she lives in the living room. But now she's now getting me up nearly every night, she shakes uncontrollably, pants, her pupils are massive, house training goes out off the window, it takes her a good 24hrs if not longer too get over it. I have heard about this L2HGA , I would really appreciate some help here if at all possible.

It is really making her life unbearable, and I'm really stuck.

Thanks
Paul
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi Paul poor old girl, it sounds as if she is really missing her friend. Where did she sleep with the other dog? I think changing her sleeping habits/putting her in a crate if she was not used to it may have stressed her more.

Is there any possibility she could sleep with access to your bedroom? At 10 she is going to find being alone really hard to get used to if she has always been with another dog who may have given her the feeling of being protected.
Meg
Supervisor

06-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by stickel
I have heard about this L2HGA , I would really appreciate some help here if at all possible.
..Sorry Paul,I did not address all your post.. are you thinking the problem may be L2HGA related? I don't know a lot about L2HGA but don't really think your dogs symptoms fit (though staff people will correct me if I am wrong)
L-2-HGA affects the central nervous system, with clinical signs usually apparent between 6 months and one year (although they can appear later). Symptoms include epileptic seizures, "wobbly" gait, tremors, muscle stiffness as a result of exercise or excitement and altered behaviour

..I would guess you dog is suffering extreme separation anxiety after the loss if its companion.
stickel
New Member!
Male 

06-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the reply minihaha,

They both slept together in there own room, before the other passed away, she was used to the crate since birth, so it was not a surprise or a new thing, and she was the sensitive (too noise)when they other dog was alive, the anti-depressants was when the other dog was alive as well.

Paul
Meg
Supervisor

06-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Paul the only other thing I can think of other than/in addition to giving her access to you at night for reassurance is to determine which noises cause the fear and to use desensitisation techniques to make her less fearful of them, not always easy to do if she is afraid of many noises and has been like that for a long time ... i'm afraid the loss of her companion may have magnified her fear because her protection/support has been removed.

The other option is to consult a behaviourist, your vet should be able to recommend one belonging to a recognised body.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi,
Im not very experienced in the dog world and this is a diff kind of situation but I just thought it might help ....

A friend of mine had 2 staffs they were from the same litter and had been together for life. One sadly passed away at 8 yrs old from some sort of cancer. The one left behind was very very sad, and was really noisy at night as they used to sleep together, he spent most of the night wimpering. My friend did try a few things, having him in her bedroom etc. with no joy. After a few sleepless nights my friend bought a big dog hot waterbottle cover, filled a hotwaterbottle with warm water and put it in his bed with him at night, it really calmed him down during his period of upset. I guess it made him feel like he used to, when cuddling up to his brother.

Good luck with finding a solution