Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2007, 08:20 AM

Max's Story - White GSD

It has taken me a long time to make the decision to put Max's story on here. Many different reasons really; is it a success story - yes, I suppose it is in a way, but bittersweet.

I apologise for the length - but it is a longish story.

I owned GSD's from my early teens and when I left home I took my dog, Fudge, with me. We then got a lovely white GSD, Polo, from a breeder and our doggy family was complete (with 2 children under 5 we had our hands full ).

On visiting my Mum one day, she commented that the white GSD from 2 doors up had got out onto the park and that he was in a 'bit of a mess'.

I remebered the dog as a big fluffy puppy a year before but hadn't seen him since his puppyhood. I told my Mum to phone the RSPCA and left it at that.

On the way out, the owner of the dog was walking down the road, after a brief conversation, she told me she was going into town, I asked after the dog and she told me that the b------d was locked in the shed because he stole things.

After she had disappeared out of view, I decided to investigate for myself. What I found broke my heart. This dog was thin and bald. He only had fur on his head and tail and the rest of his body was open sores.

Somehow he found his way into my car, not sure how it happened but when I went to get the kids out, the dog popped out too

Max weighed 21.5kg at a year old. I could put my hands around his waist. No wonder he stole. He also had a severe flea allergy.

So began the slow recovery. The girls accepted him as part of the family, my husband forgave me and we gradually stopped jumping when the doorbell rang (kept expecting the police to turn up!!!).

Happy ending? Unfortunately not. Max started having fits. After investigation, it was found that he had a skull fracture that had happened at least 3 months before we aquired him, and he had damaged his brain.

Medication followed, and for a while the fits improved. He put on weight, grew back his fur and was a wonderful addition. He was gentle with the kids and great with the girls, and he never stole anything. He loved his walks and his cuddles and he was content.

After we had had him for about a year, the fits worsened. No amount of scans etc could determine why the medication was not working as it should but he was going downhill.

As a last ditch effort, he was taken intio the vets to be put under GA to give his poor body a rest and to give us time to think about what we were goig to do - he was only 2 after all.

The next day, the vets phoned to say that he had still had fits under the GA, that there was still some other things that they could try but we just couldn't put him through it.

I made arrangements to go to the vets to be with him as he passed to the bridge but the kids wanted to come with me. What to do? Was it too much for them to witness, they were 5 and 6? My husband said that they were at an age when they would probably remember that I would not let them come and that it was a part of life that they needed to learn about so I decided to take them.

It was with trepidation that we went into the consultation room. Max was brought out and was a shell of a dog so I knew that we were taking the right decision, he didn't even have the energy to stand and laid on the floor. My daughter, then 5, sat on the floor and put his head in her lap and promptly started singing 'Twinkle, twinkle little star' When I asked her what she was doing she replied 'Singing Max to Heaven'. The beauty of a child's innocence

And so Max was gone. Do I regret having him? Not for 1 single second. He cost us a fortune, both in money and heartache, but I would pay it all over again just to give him a year of love and comfort.

RIP Max. See you at the Bridge.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 08:24 AM
You poor thing to have to go through that, What a brave dog. At least he went as a gentle loving companion rather than a poor lonely dog locked in a shed.
You did the right thing. (((((((HUGS)))))))
Becky
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 08:32 AM
you saved that poor dog, showed him there was more to life than a brick wall and beating, bless his soul

Hes gone to the bridge knowing that somebody loved him, and Xena will keep him company.

rest in peace little man xxx
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Chellie, this broke my heart reading this What a life that poor lad had before you took him

At least you have the comfort in knowing if it wasn't for you, Max would of died an awful death and all alone You gave him a year of love and affection, that's more than he would of had with his previous owner.

Sleep tight Max xx
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks all for your kind comments.

Even though we lost him 12 years ago it still breaks my heart to think about him.

He was a kind soul who didn't need to be here long to earn his place at the Bridge.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
God bless you for what you did for him. I'm sat here with tears running down ny face but I'm glad you put this story up, he deserves it.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 12:52 PM
How very very sad, like everyone else has said at least he knew a loving home before he left, not locked in that shed.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-04-2007, 04:09 PM
I am so moved by Max's story. So glad he found you and your family to care for him even if only for a little while . Thank you so very much for sharing his story with us I know how hard it must have been for you to write this, but he was duch a brave and wonderful dog he deserves people to know his story. Run free at the bridge Max.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I am so moved by Max's story. So glad he found you and your family to care for him even if only for a little while . Thank you so very much for sharing his story with us I know how hard it must have been for you to write this, but he was duch a brave and wonderful dog he deserves people to know his story. Run free at the bridge Max.
Thanks for your kind words Lovezois. I often wonder what it would have been like to have him for longer but have to be grateful for the short time we had. It certainly taught my children a lot about life, love and responsibility. They are both very compassionate and I'm sure Max had something to do with that.

Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
How very very sad, like everyone else has said at least he knew a loving home before he left, not locked in that shed.
Thanks Dori-kate, that is what made it all worthwhile.

Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
God bless you for what you did for him. I'm sat here with tears running down ny face but I'm glad you put this story up, he deserves it.
I was crying as I wrote it GSD-Sue, and I cry as the replies come in. He was a darling boy from a wonderful breed and after losing my girls I have never been able to face having another GSD. Some dogs are too special and I can't think of getting one without feeling guilty about trying to replace them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
OMG I don't think I've ever read a story that has tugged at my heartstrings as much as Max's. Rest in peace you darling little dog, even though you suffered so much on earth, you certainly did your job for Chellie's children in what you taught them through your suffering, you will never be forgotten, run free dear little man. xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >