Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2016, 06:32 PM

Dog steps

[IMG][/IMG]
I bought this to enable my 12 year old springer spaniel to get on to my bed as that is where he likes to sleep at night (he's such a mummy's boy), but rather than seeing it as an aid - he sees it as an obstacle.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by charlew View Post
but rather than seeing it as an aid - he sees it as an obstacle.
Yes he will, at first, be reluctant to try it out, remember that at 12 years he's getting on a bit and dogs are creatures who like routine and stability and anything new or different will make them cautious.

Give him a bit of time and if you can 'help' him somehow, maybe by lifting a paw and placing it on the first step, or by placing one of his favorite treats on the top step, then gradually he'll become accustomed to it and maybe even start to use it.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I have steps very much like that and I don't use them. The dogs feet slip on them. Maybe that's what your dog found when (if?) he put his paw on them?

If yours aren't slippery, you could teach your dog to gain confidence to put his feet on the steps by placing treats on the steps. First on the bottom, then on the next and so on, but only letting him take the treat if he places a paw on one of the steps.

Good luck.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2016, 08:49 AM
I used to have a ramp to enable my elderly German shepherd to get into the back of my pick up truck. Initially she didn't trust it, and so I placed tasty treats at each "step" up whilst also guiding her with my hands so she felt secure.

I eventually gave the ramp to a dog rescue charity as I actually found it quite cumbersome and bulky.

Your steps look a good idea, and if your spaniel really doesn't like using them, could you teach him to put his paws on the bed and then just lift his back end in?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Tbh those steps look as though they are aimed at a small dog, the individual steps are quite small for larger dogs. I would have thought a larger wooden box or single step would be preferable.
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Tbh those steps look as though they are aimed at a small dog, the individual steps are quite small for larger dogs. I would have thought a larger wooden box or single step would be preferable.
Justin weighs 25kg & the steps are supposed to be for dogs of up to 35kg. I tried putting a treat on each step but it's not working (he sat next to the steps & gobbled up the treats), he really isn't interested in them at all, he continues to pace around trying to get up enough momentum to attempt the leap & then often failing, sometimes I help him up but it hurts my back - I've had problems with my back in the recent past (well my coxis actually) & I don't want that flaring up again as it was very painful. Damn things cost £50 aswell!