Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
When does Thor arrive?
Still trying to firm that up. My OH hasn't had a break from work to meet him and we are agreed we'd probably want to neuter before taking him home (Loki is due a season soon and then we'd said we would spay her from then onwards). But I got a chance for cuddles and chats with him when I was working ☺️ (Excuse the mess of his kennel the guy who owns it cleans his own dogs out at the end of the day)
[IMG][/IMG]
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Beautiful photos of Loki, she is one fabulous dog.
Thankyou Moyra 😊 I feel very lucky to have a dog that just fits with me so well
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Your dog is beautiful. Not as beautiful as mine but beautiful all the same. bg!!
Great lover of Shepherds. Grew up with them.

I'm Loki's number one fan ☺️ She often surprises even me with how well she's turned out! Gotta love GSD's
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
Thankyou these walks are just bliss - not a person ever in sight!
Definitely my thing
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Just thought I'd share some pictures of our adventure up the glens today with Loki. With the clocks changing we were up extra early and bored so we took the Wee car trip to a beautiful area to go for a walk. No better therapy than a morning walking with your dog ❤️

Sorry for picture over load 😁
Lovely dog. And you have a good place to walk him.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm Loki's number one fan ☺️ She often surprises even me with how well she's turned out! Gotta love GSD's
I've said it before. It's a two way street. You get out what you put in several times over.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I've said it before. It's a two way street. You get out what you put in several times over.
Yes I agree, but I also think that genetics play such a huge role in a dog's temperament that it makes it so important to research not only the temperament of the parents of a potential pup, but also grandparents, great grandparents etc etc.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Yes I agree, but I also think that genetics play such a huge role in a dog's temperament that it makes it so important to research not only the temperament of the parents of a potential pup, but also grandparents, great grandparents etc etc.
Well, ours is a rescue picked up as a stray so we nothing of his background or genetics. But he has a lovely temperament.

Last night we had hordes of trick or treaters - around 80 young children, possibly more. When I opened the front door Max would meet and greet. They were local children most of whom knew him, love to see him, and make a fuss. He is very gentle with them even though he is quite a big fellow. Nice to see that interaction.

Back to genetics. As you may know/recall, I grew up on a farm in Scoland. Lots of hill land and lots of sheep so we always had a buch of collies. They had a range of temperaments from benign to you shouldn't turn your back on him if I were you.

I had my own and he was much like my present dog except black and tan. Gentle, biddable, good with other people and dogs. A neighbour had another from the same litter. That would have made them twins and they looked identical. I was sitting having a conversation and absently leant over to stroke it. The blasted thing bit me.

I can see that genetics would account for their remarkably similar appearance but not their remarkably different temperament.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post

I can see that genetics would account for their remarkably similar appearance but not their remarkably different temperament.
But litter mates share on average 50% common genes, but only on average. Each litter mate gets at random 50% of its genes from the father and 50% from the mother and not necessarily the same 50% from each.

This is a very interesting article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...gs-personality
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2016, 08:27 PM
But litter mates share on average 50% common genes, but only on average. Each litter mate gets at random 50% of its genes from the father and 50% from the mother and not necessarily the same 50% from each.

This is a very interesting article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...gs-personality
And another here:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles...mperaments.htm

Yes they can be, and sometimes are, different in both appearance and temperament.

But the twins I spoke had diametrically opposed temperaments. Apparently the one that bit me made a habit of it with others. And it isn't the first time I've heard of this.

The difference between nature and nurture........
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >