Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Coat advice and recommendations

Right, so the weather is on the turn, and feeling altogether pretty autumnal the last few days. I am wondering when to start making my pup wear a coat for walks. I personally am thinking its not quite cold enough yet, as although she is little, she is very active on walks and has fairly thick hair so the last thing I want is her over heating. But she is only a chihuahua cross yorkie, and only just over 6 months, so I also don't want her being chilly. What is the general advice around when to start wearing coats? She hasn't shown any obvious signs of being cold...but I don't know entirely what to look for.

Also, I have had trouble finding her a good coat, i.e. a small enough one but without wings or pinkness or diamontes etc! She is skinny but rather long in the body. Bit bigger than a full chihuahua, more like a small yorkie. Any recommendations?

(I wasn't sure where to post this, but it is about making sure she stays well, so I though 'health' was ok.)

Thanks.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 05:02 PM
If you or a kind relative can knit, there are patterns online for dog jumpers.

Just don't ask me - I'm useless!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Have you looked at Equafleece? I use one of these on the dog post walks in rain and drying off after swimming. Other people walk their dogs in them.
hungryhounds
New Member!
Female 

19-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jacsicle View Post
Right, so the weather is on the turn, and feeling altogether pretty autumnal the last few days. I am wondering when to start making my pup wear a coat for walks. I personally am thinking its not quite cold enough yet, as although she is little, she is very active on walks and has fairly thick hair so the last thing I want is her over heating. But she is only a chihuahua cross yorkie, and only just over 6 months, so I also don't want her being chilly. What is the general advice around when to start wearing coats? She hasn't shown any obvious signs of being cold...but I don't know entirely what to look for.

Also, I have had trouble finding her a good coat, i.e. a small enough one but without wings or pinkness or diamontes etc! She is skinny but rather long in the body. Bit bigger than a full chihuahua, more like a small yorkie. Any recommendations?

(I wasn't sure where to post this, but it is about making sure she stays well, so I though 'health' was ok.)

Thanks.
I have collie and a greyhound. Whilst the weather is still ok for the collie with a thicker coat, my greyhound is already chilly in the mornings and later in the day. On her walk last night, she refused to walk any firther and just wanted to return. This was a sure sign that she is ready for her coat. Hve a look at forest fleece. The website is predominantly for hounds but they make jumpers, coats and PJs for all shapes and sizes of dog (and cat). All items are made to measure, which may be useful for a dog like yours.
Hope this helps.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi Jacqui, I can hardly believe that little Pippa is 6 months How time flies

Look at the Equafleece website - they will do coats for virtually every shaped body. I have two which I use on my two if they have had a bath, are wet from rain or if its really really cold and I have to leave them in the car or they are playing in the snow ..... my two do have thick coats though

These fleeces will wick water away from the dogs body to keep them dry and also wonderful as a raincoat ... not sure how it works but it does.

I would definitely get Pippa use to having a coat on for when it gets bitterly cold. You'll soon know if she is getting cold as she'll be really miserable and will probably shiver. While she's racing around on walks she should be fine.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 07:17 PM
My Yorkie doesn't have a coat. I tried her in one a year or so a go and she just sulked so I didn't bother putting it on her again. She sometimes shivers a bit at the start if it is really cold but soon stops after she gets moving. I just avoid walking her in the rain if it is cold and she is fine.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Cosycoats
51 Well End Road
Borehamwood
Hertfordshire
WD6 5NZ
020 8953 3026 (10am to 4pm)

The above company has a large selection of ready made coats in all sorts of sizes and will also make coats to your own measurement/pattern. When choosing coats for little dogs it is a good idea to get one with a chest/belly flap to keep their underside warm and dry as well.

Cosycoats used to go to Crufts and you couldn't get to their stall for queues. Haven't seen them there for a few years, I guess for economic reasons. Their coats are reasonably priced.

This company doesn't have a website, there used to be an american company with the same with a website - but something quite different.
Shangri-La
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2012, 12:46 PM