Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Puppy Heeeeeeelp!!!!!!!

Right puppy arrival is imminent!

I've spent weeks reading and searching cyber space for all the answers. Now as the day reaches us it appears all the various info and opinions are swirling around my poor brain and my head has turned to mush!!

The main thing at the mo that is confusing us is should we crate the little lady down stairs in a safe room with the crate open and stair guards across the doors OR should we crate her with the door shut up in our room (where our two other dogs sleep)?

Will sleeping separate from us and the other dogs harm any bonding?

Sorry to come across as a worried parent!! All of a sudden it just seems very real and I now feel very unprepared, despite all the research etc!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
it probably wouldnt harm bonding but it would upset her. it's traumatic enough for a new pup to be taken from their mum and littermates, let alone to be left by themselves all night, plus at that age their instincts tell them that to be alone is extremely dangerous, so she'll probably cry instead of sleeping. much easier to keep her in with you in the long run and itll make for a happier pup. plus this way if she needs a wee in the night shell be able to wake you up to let her out rather than going on the floor, so housetraining will come along faster.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Every one will have their own ways of doing things, I personally like to start the way I mean to go on. So if the bedroom is where the pup will be sleeping in the long run set your crate up in there.

My dogs sleep in the living room so I have always started my pups there in the crate over night, with me setting the alarm to get up to take them for toilet twice in the night.

Good luck with your new pup!
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys.....our room it is then

Here's to sleepless nights
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Thanks guys.....our room it is then

Here's to sleepless nights
From my experience you will get more sleep if the crate is in your room not less! Good luck with your new arrival. What kind of dog is he/she?
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by CharleyMaddison View Post
From my experience you will get more sleep if the crate is in your room not less! Good luck with your new arrival. What kind of dog is he/she?
Coolio, some sleep would be nice! She is a little tri colour Cavalier King Charles
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Coolio, some sleep would be nice! She is a little tri colour Cavalier King Charles
Bet she ends up in your bed - not just your room!