Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 04:52 AM

Throw me some options please.

First I have to say there is nothing wrong with Sal she is fit well and here.

I have the perfect SBT my beloved Sal can't see me getting another they broke the mould......in my opinion. However I can't see me without a dog. So have been giving this a little thought of late due to neighbours having to have their dog PTS and another neighbour close to it with his old girl. And another lady who lives by me and I walk with at times who lost her 8 year old LabX lad to cancer. And of course Azz and his loss of Rocky.....

I like the following they may not meet or tick all my boxes but hey lifes not perfect
Border Terriers; Bostons; CKCS; Minature Poodle; Minature Schnauzer; Smooth Collies; And a lot of the wire haired terriers.

Diverse (ish) choices I know.

Not into high levels of grooming etc, happy with a daily brush. Although more than happy for regular visits to a groomer.
Not high energy. (By this I mean not needing lots of stimulation like a working breed)
Not a slobberer......
Not long haired
Not a toy breed (anything below about 10")
Not a guarding breed. (I do not have experience.)
Not a giant (I would class giant as Great dane giant schnauzer etc)
Not a large breed(class large as GSD/Lab).
Nothing against those breeds.
I have a small car live in a built up area and in an average semi.
Not a breed known to bark - be noisy.

I am willing and able to to walk an hour or hour half a day and longer on some days.

I know the following can apply to all dogs when brought up well with care/love/and a sensible approach

I would like a dog breed who is
Good with people. (not fussed if aloof to others as long as family friendly)
Friendly/chilled with other dogs -a social mixer I suppose.(not like me, I do not do groups but would like a breed that can mix)
Easy going nature.
Happy/confident.
Personality.

So suggestions people please.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:13 AM
CKCS are classed as toy breed aren't they? And although I adore them they do require a lot of grooming and are not good for anyone who has to leave them alone for any length of time. And they DEFINITELY shed!

I thought my min pin wouldn't shed - haha! Sheds even more than the CKCS did just that the shed hairs are much shorter!

You have quite a diverse list of 'requirements' there! Perhaps look at adult dogs needing homes to see if one fits the 'no high energy', 'no barking' stuff?

Not sure if it's more to do with how you 'bring them up' but I now have a dog renowned for barking (minpin) and it is not a problem at all. She did bark constantly at first but soon learned it was not either acceptable nor necessary!

The high energy thing - well - again it might be what you get them used to but my CKCS was definitely NOT a happy dog if she did not go for a long walk on the beach or by the river every day and I've found that, in general, the larger dogs are more calm and less lively in the house than most small ones.

I've just returned from spending a couple of nights with a pal here who has four dogs - a huge wolf like Turkish breed (whose hobby seemed to be lying flat on his side!), a minpin that was nowhere near as lively as mine is, a chihuahua that was a real sweetie and reminded me of the temperament of my Cavvy and a little Yorkie that was a total nutcase and definitely the 'leader of the gang' bossing all the other dogs about and shoving its way to the front all the time. I commented that I doubted I'd ever get ANYTHING done if I owned a dog like that! It required constant attention.

(must just add that this friend has two parrots as well and all the dogs get on with the parrots and the birds just potter about with the dogs and perch on them too - but they do seem to avoid the Yorkie!)

I felt like you do after I lost my 'Sally' - a GSD. I waited almost ten years before getting another dog as I was convinced NO dog could ever live up to her. Then ended up with a Cavvy who quickly ranked along with the GSD as one of the 'best dogs in the world'!

In your place I think my main considerations would be having a small car and living in a very built up area. Especially the area. I doubt the dog would care about being a bit squashed up in your car - as long as it was going somewhere interesting!

Good luck.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
CKCS are classed as toy breed aren't they? And although I adore them they do require a lot of grooming and are not good for anyone who has to leave them alone for any length of time. And they DEFINITELY shed!

I thought my min pin wouldn't shed - haha! Sheds even more than the CKCS did just that the shed hairs are much shorter!

You have quite a diverse list of 'requirements' there! Perhaps look at adult dogs needing homes to see if one fits the 'no high energy', 'no barking' stuff?

Not sure if it's more to do with how you 'bring them up' but I now have a dog renowned for barking (minpin) and it is not a problem at all. She did bark constantly at first but soon learned it was not either acceptable nor necessary!

The high energy thing - well - again it might be what you get them used to but my CKCS was definitely NOT a happy dog if she did not go for a long walk on the beach or by the river every day and I've found that, in general, the larger dogs are more calm and less lively in the house than most small ones.

I've just returned from spending a couple of nights with a pal here who has four dogs - a huge wolf like Turkish breed (whose hobby seemed to be lying flat on his side!), a minpin that was nowhere near as lively as mine is, a chihuahua that was a real sweetie and reminded me of the temperament of my Cavvy and a little Yorkie that was a total nutcase and definitely the 'leader of the gang' bossing all the other dogs about and shoving its way to the front all the time. I commented that I doubted I'd ever get ANYTHING done if I owned a dog like that! It required constant attention.

(must just add that this friend has two parrots as well and all the dogs get on with the parrots and the birds just potter about with the dogs and perch on them too - but they do seem to avoid the Yorkie!)

I felt like you do after I lost my 'Sally' - a GSD. I waited almost ten years before getting another dog as I was convinced NO dog could ever live up to her. Then ended up with a Cavvy who quickly ranked along with the GSD as one of the 'best dogs in the world'!

In your place I think my main considerations would be having a small car and living in a very built up area. Especially the area. I doubt the dog would care about being a bit squashed up in your car - as long as it was going somewhere interesting!

Good luck.
Thanks I know a lot of how you bring them up and behave towards them dictates how they behave to you and yours.
But some breeds of dog actually appear from what I hear/read etc to be classed as barkers...... the car is not "a deal breaker" in fact I suspect none is really I am just I suppose asking for options/thoughts.......have amended slightly my orginal post.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Morning Kazz! I'm with you on this one ...
"Not a slobberer"

lol! I'd have to add 'no dogs that have miserable looking faces' too lol!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Morning Kazz! I'm with you on this one ...
"Not a slobberer"

lol! I'd have to add 'no dogs that have miserable looking faces' too lol!
Hence my happy requirement to those who know me they know I am miserable enough without the dog joining in.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I like the manchester Terrier too.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Manchester Terrier sounds like a good fit. Or a Boston.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Just a thought, does it have to be a breed ? why dont you walk dogs occasionally at your local refuge and just wait to see if you fall in love with one.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
A Border Terrier would fit the bill.