Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post

The best we can do is to protect our dogs from other owners negligence and ignorance.
But how????

If your dog is on a lead and another dog runs over, you shout to the owner your dog isn't great with other dogs - they can't call it back. The dog ends up growling or snapping at your dog and the owner is far away still fruitlessly calling their dog.

What do you do????

This one point is a massive down point to having a dog in my opinion, we try really hard to avoid areas with others dogs but it's just not always possible i.e. the walk from my work involves going through popular dog walking park.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Intersting thread.

Whether it be my dog or the other person's dog - the key factor is whether the said dog is under control.

'On lead' or 'off lead' is Irrelevant.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Agression or playing (and I think it was rough play) the pup has learnt at 8 weeks old that bad manners are OK

Outside off lead at 8 weeks? Most of use here would surely only do that in a controlled manner? I.e. in a field where there are no others around and walk away to teach the pup to follow you. Pretty sure most of use here would at least use a long line, it's just basic common sense for the safety of the pup - what if the OP had a dog aggressive dog - how would the pup's owner know?

Whether the tool used is a lead or not the pup's owner should have had control measures in place, so in a way, I agree with the OP.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
But how????

If your dog is on a lead and another dog runs over, you shout to the owner your dog isn't great with other dogs - they can't call it back. The dog ends up growling or snapping at your dog and the owner is far away still fruitlessly calling their dog.

What do you do????
You turn round and walk swiftly and purposefully away.
It works for me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
In the original post both dogs were off lead I think.

Rather than shooing the other dog away---which will obviously inflame the situation as pups get very hyped up if they are 'shooed'. Catching or controlling your own dog and as C and D said walking away with yours on lead maybe.

I have issues with loose dogs and Benj on lead and I simply ask the people to get their dog away---and they do. Usually with a good grace but occasionally whist muttering under their breath. One woman told me I ought to take athyroid pill when I suggested she removed her entire boxer from the faces of my three on lead dogs! I mentioned training as agood idea as well. Since then she grabs her dog and stalks off whenever she sees me!

Off lead we are all fine, its just mine on lead at the gate and dogs coming through the bottleneck off lead.

rune
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
And those of us not so swift on our feet ? Shouldn't just be a fit persons world out there those of us with mobility problems shouldn't need to be running away from situations when a simple lead on the dog molesting other on lead dogs is all that is required to avoid the situation.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
And those of us not so swift on our feet ? Shouldn't just be a fit persons world out there those of us with mobility problems shouldn't need to be running away from situations when a simple lead on the dog molesting other on lead dogs is all that is required to avoid the situation.
I am not swift---but I do have a voice! Honed to perfection through years of teaching

Seems to work.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Amen to that!!!

Courtesy and common sense. Sadly lacking in this me, me, me World of ours unfortunately
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes I use my voice too, and I am quite adept with my walking stick, pushing the other dog away or waving it in the air has the desired effect usually. But I say again a simple lead would solve the problem and then no one needs to be stressed.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You turn round and walk swiftly and purposefully away.
It works for me.
I have tried this but Millie gets chased while we are walking away. In fact when we walked away thats when the boxer puppy returned to get boistress.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >