Female 

11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I would normally agree with you but Orkney is different
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
My Kali is a tough wee b*gg*r who won't take any cr*p from man or beast, and he doesn't give a cuss about weather. His late brother (Snorri) was tough about weather, too, but not as tough psychologically (which made him an even better pet).

Snorri

E.T.A.: the rehoming agency here has closed, because there was nothing for it to do. It was a one-woman show anyway.
I have to admitt, if I was to have a BC from the Orkney Islands, I would expect it to be a much different BC to the ones I own. A hardier dog all round.
collies09
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
just to add.... we have recently got two pups from two different farms..

it's not always about KC and 'perfection'.

IMO there's nothing wrong with getting BC pups which are bred from working dogs. What matters is the pup is given the good home it deserves with all it's needs met.

And yes, this is has to be much better than some farm dogs chained up outside.

But there also a lot of things i would disagree with re 'breeders' and showing dogs. Farming is completely different culture.

But hey! thats why we are all different.
We do however have in common the love for BCs!

so to repeat - happy new puppy finding Snorri
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Oh Snorri, I hope you find your next wee pup, sure inspite of being a tough cookie, it will be as spoilt as Kali and the late great Snorri I look forward to seeing LOTS of piccies!!

(Bijou in normal circumstances I would fully agree with you, but this is the Orkney Isles we are talking about a.k.a The Twilight Zone )
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Thing is, these farmers arent churning litter after litter out to line their pockets are they? No, like Snorri said..they just tend to happen, bit like farm cats. I'm all for responsible breeding and ethical, however if in pursuit of another russell pup (as i have been for a while) i'd much rather get a nice farm dog of strong stock then anything else!
I wish you all the best Snorri, a nice merl would fit well at snorri mansions I think.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Having family in Shetland, there is one policeman on their island and he sits at home drinking all day. THAT is just how it is, (no offence to Snorri) but unless you have been there and lived how they live, it's easy to say how wrong it is. Just out of interest bijou, have you been there?

The point is the reason we are happy for Snorri here is because he is a long standing member, we have been though the ups and downs of his life with him in a way for many years, we know about him and his life in the twilight zone and we know about his dogs. Over the years many of us have came to learn about Orkney and how it differs from how we consider 'normal'.

I am also sick to death of late on here of the 'Dogsey police' on most threads. Let people just have their dogs and enjoy them for crying out loud instead of getting all up in arms over petty things like this and feeding porridge.

Rant over.

(Snorri absolutely no offence intended to you by this post I hope none is taken. I sincerely hope you find a lovely wee pup and expect lots of pictures of course!)
collies09
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Having family in Shetland, there is one policeman on their island and he sits at home drinking all day. THAT is just how it is, (no offence to Snorri) but unless you have been there and lived how they live, it's easy to say how wrong it is. Just out of interest bijou, have you been there?

The point is the reason we are happy for Snorri here is because he is a long standing member, we have been though the ups and downs of his life with him in a way for many years, we know about him and his life in the twilight zone and we know about his dogs. Over the years many of us have came to learn about Orkney and how it differs from how we consider 'normal'.

I am also sick to death of late on here of the 'Dogsey police' on most threads. Let people just have their dogs and enjoy them for crying out loud instead of getting all up in arms over petty things like this and feeding porridge.
Rant over.

(Snorri absolutely no offence intended to you by this post I hope none is taken. I sincerely hope you find a lovely wee pup and expect lots of pictures of course!)

yeaaaaaaaaah! well said!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I do see Bijou's point here, its a bit hypocritical to tell 99% of people they are wrong and supporting bad breeding practices from buying from people who "accidently" breed and dont health test, then telling Snorri how wonderful it is!

Its not good by any stretch of the imagination and to be honest he has already had a dog with Epilepsy, was that due to the breeding? Are the dogs up there so inbred? Things to consider.

Whilst I wish Snorri the very best of luck, I appreciate the fact tha it IS going about things in the very same way we have just told Helena NOT to!

Random.
"Dogsey Police" is that from another forum? I think you will find its more like not tolerating the bad breeding practices that see health sections and behaviour sections on dog forums ram packed with problems!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 08:08 PM
This is a thread about Snorri's potential new pup, not a good breeding/bad breeding discussion. I think we should leave the thread as it was meant to be and take any other breeding discussions to a discussions thread. I also think that new members should take some time to understand the forum and the members before jumping in with both feet but that's also another thread.
Good luck finding your new furry friend Snorri.
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »