Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
but thats just it Steve - whether or not they actually had it checked out by the vet or not - they didnt make it clear that the dog could have had something seriously wrong etc - and to be honest I dont necessarily agree with putting a dog to sleep for biting as it depends on the circumstances and that would have to be taken into consideration - they didnt show that they got the dog checked over thoroughly etc.

If bruno bit my child then of course i would be devastated BUT i would be ensuring that nothing happened to make him bite as I genuinely beleive that their is usually a trigger,

the woman had originally wanted the dog put to sleep for the first nip.

I just didnt like the way they didnt exhaust any other possibilities and it makes it out that for the "non doggy" folk watchng it that there is only one option which isnt true.

Imo
I know where your comming from Dani.If the dog had attacked the little girl when she was waving a sandwich for example then no-that is a totally different scenario and i would think twice about having it destroyed.

But the little girl didnt provoke it at all or have any food and it just went for her.I know the woman wanted it put down from the first nip,but she's probably over cautious with everyhting she does.

It is sad though.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Was in floods of tears whilst watching..was far too close to home, when Polly was PTS, in the end, it was primarily health reasons but her agression and biting was a factor too. I agree that once a dog has bitten, they will do it again-and can never, fully, be once again trusted.

Not every Dog that has bitten will again!we had a Dog that only ever Done it once (you have to be very careful tho )but to be honest he never even tied again>
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:06 PM
I cried too, it was just awful to see the family go through the trauma of destroying their beautiful dog, but I agree completely with their decision, it was heartbreaking.

I pray I never have a dog attack in this house, but if I do, I pray I have the strength to do the right thing. My heart goes out to the family.

Dawn R.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Not every Dog that has bitten will again!we had a Dog that only ever Done it once (you have to be very careful tho )but to be honest he never even tied again>
But would the doubt not be there thay they 'could' do it again?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:10 PM
The programme goes a lot more in depth than they actually show, and from what I've been told, VS usually exhausts all methods before advising on something drastic. Just because they didn't show everything being tried, doesn't mean it wasn't !

And lets not forget, the dog could not be rehomed and bit their little girl badly.

Sorry, if you disagree, but if one of mine did that to one of my daughters, I would not hesitate, knowing everything other problem had been eliminated.

I would never take the risk for a child.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

I thought it was terrible,as if solid cockers didn't have enough ignorant people calling them uphill and down dale throwing the term 'cocker rage' about way too freely,so many people I meet already have a pre conceived idea of how solid cockers behave without even meeting one!He did have behavioural issues thats for sure,BUT they should have done cockers everywhere a bit more justice by delving a little deeper and explaining why they came to this decision instead of airing a 30 second phone call which made putting the dog to sleep sound like the only option for anyone with troublesome cocker.I don't think there was any need to air them burying Benji either,we all know how hard it is and will continue to be when we lose our best friends and it seemed to me like a sad attempt to boost ratings and tug at heart strings.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
We cried too ... have never watched it before - is it always so sad?
No Julie. I think I have seen most episodes, and have never seen a dog pts before. VS usually manages to get the owners sorted out - as it is invariably something they are doing, rather than it being the dog's fault.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
But would the doubt not be there thay they 'could' do it again?
Thats the key bit Luke-trust. I know i could never fully trust a dog ever again if it attacked unprovoked.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I missed it again tonight! Sort of glad I did now though!
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2006, 08:12 PM
if the dog had bitten once then maybe you could take precautions but because it was a child and it was prevoked i would have done the same thing as sad as it is, plus it bit more than just once, in my opinion once a bitter always one. i wouldnt be able to trust again and your family comes first IMO it is selfish to keep a aggressive dog with children about.
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »