Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:18 PM

Supervets tonight

Well, anyone watch it? What's your opinion on it then, coz I'm a bit mystified as to whether they did the right thing tonight? That poor dog. If it were mine, I would have left things as they were, the poor dog has suffered enough with the previous ops, and that skin would have healed anyway but who cares about a bit of baggy skin on a dog's leg. I know the other side was snagging and he couldn't use it to it's full extent, but hey, he could use it well enough imo. As for the horse, well, there's no way a horse of mine would have ended up going through all of that!(Even though he did have a big hole drilled in the side of his face once, it was still nothing like that!) I know these vets have to learn, and part of what they did was for the benefit of the trainee vets I would have thought, but my horse vet would have sedated my horse, stuck a needle in there to take a biopsy and sent it off for assessment. How come they had to do all that with the horse still awake, plus cutting into bone!!? Why was the first biopsy negative too - I can't understand that either! Thank goodness that poor owner had the sense to let the poor horse be, take her home and live out the rest of her days painfree. I know they do a brilliant job our vets, I'm not slating that, and I know they have to be able to "practice" on certain aspects, but I'm thinking they took this one a bit too far. What's your opinion on it then? Also, how come the spaniel has cost the owners nearly £15,000 when this is a training college????
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:23 PM
i didnt get to watch it tonight i didnt watch it last week either forgot it was on and the week before that i was nursing george i think my sister would of taped it will find out tomorrow and then i can let you know what i thought on tonights episode
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:29 PM
ok Jen - get the tissues out though before you watch it!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:30 PM
ooh its a heart breaker episode is it ooh tissues will be ready
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I think they did the right thing with the dog personally. It still had a lot of areas left with no skin cover at all, doubt it would've healed on it's own. And if it got an infection - ouch! Plus she seemed happy enough, at least her owners care enough to do it in the first place.

And the poor horse, that was really sad. I think she did the right thing in the end, hard decision to make though. At the end of the day it's up to the owner what she wants to be done. It maybe that with the lump being on the face it posed too much of a risk going in blind to take a biopsy. There are so many nerves atc running in the face I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

Even though it's the RVC I'm guessing the treatment needs to be paid for? Why wouldn't it, I can't see how else the treatment would get paid for in regards to it being a college?

Have to say I normally love this programme, but that poor horse just made me feel terrible.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Just found this on their website "Attempts to take samples large enough for diagnosis through Hannah’s skin were unsuccessful". So it looks like they tried to take a biopsy but couldn't. Just goes to show how editing can distort things eh?!

Heres the website for anyone who's interested!

http://supervets.rvc.ac.uk/
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:37 PM
I think to see that dog at the end was definitely worth it, but definitely a tear jerker though and I don't normally cry (especially when sat in a room with 4 children) but that did make me cry

Won't say anymore, as some haven't seen it yet.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for that link Rips, that's answered that question then! Yes, I suppose you're right about the fees, but I thought colleges were run by Government funds, and because they actually need their patients so to speak to further their educations, I just thought it would have been quite reasonably priced. Looks like i'm wrong though.

Yes I loved the way the dog was at the end, but because she was like that anyway when she originally came back after her first op, i just think if she were mine, I don't think I would have wanted her to go through it all again. As long as she wasn't in pain and could move relatively well even with that tightness one side, I would have preferred to keep her as she was. After all, aneasthetic is still relatively dangerous for animals isn't it, and that would have worried me for a 2nd time too, just to have her, what appeared to me, to be cosmetically sound. If there was a high risk of infection with the open area, I suppose it was worth the risk then. I cried buckets, looking at that dog's face!! and another bucketful with the horse!

Love the programme though as always, just so sad.