Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Johnderondon asked: They get rid of their dogs because of their love for the breed? Lol.

Navajo answered:

I'm going to type this very slowly.

If someone loves their dogs then they do not hasten to cast them into the unknown so that they can fill the vacated space with another which, in due course, will be similarly discarded.

Any industry that relies on the charity of others to clear up it's mess - and yet still drops more dogs than the rescues can catch - is morally bankrupt. Cries of "It's not me, it's the others!" cut little ice all the while that those who participate in the industry as it stands and thereby support the industry as it stands and ensure that it continues to survive as it stands for that much longer.
Thousands of people from all walks of life participate in greyhound racing in different ways as it is at the moment, and yes, would like it to continue.

However, that said it is not true or fair to state that everyone involved wants it to continue on the way it is at the moment because they don't. The vast majority would like to see welfare in all areas continue to improve and are working towards making it better, and in doing so ensuring we rid greyhound racing of the minority that show blatant disregard for everything.
Why should the majority who look after their dogs well during and after racing give in to the minority who by their actions ruin it for everyone.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Click on the link below - navigate to 'The Vets' and below the photographs of the vets you will see 'Klikt U Hier'
Do exactly that and then click 'Translate' in your Google toolbar.

http://www.nederlandsegreyhoundclub.nl/ukwelkom.html

All this in 30 seconds?

Did that... one little point first.

First thing they say is they watch how the dog RUNS.

Next thing they say after the WALK they examin them

Now if you except the translation might be a little wrong and the first line might say...They watch how the dog WALKS.

And if you except that.

Then go to any meeting at Romford Night races or BAGS as well, you will see the Vet do exactly the same thing in full view of the crowd.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
The issue is being dealt with.

Would be interested in how you get on with this.

Remember back in 2004 this topic hit the head lines in America, more than 100 greyhounds had tested positive for coke over a three year period.

The racing track involved put it down to transference, all the Anties laugh their heads and even got a Congress women to refute it.

On the next occasion it was proved that one of the kennel hands was a coke user and had transferred Thur skin contact.

That's not saying that had happened in all the other cases but was never proved.

The only case that I have known personally of a Greyhound having been giving Coke was your friend from Scotland who got the dog from NI and it was admitted by the owner that he had in fact giving the dog Coke to make him run better, he stated at the time, he did it because the dog was useless, Trouble was it was 10 times worse after he gave it Coke.

It toke over 2 months for the dog to get over his addiction.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
These people are not dog lovers as I see them....they are profit making self centred individuals or consortia who want to make a few quid at the expense of an animal

I expect to be ripped to shreds by some on here but it's what I believe and I'm sticking to it!
I wont rip you to shreds but point out one thing to you.

Three people myself included have pointed that we have made no money racing infact its cost us money.

I have no problem if you think im a liar but would like you to prove that with some facts that I can except that I am a liar or I can disprove that im not.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

15-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry Navajo to take so long in responding and making it another long one - long story but it takes me a while to type and I cant be on here often these days. Also I have included my responses in your post - again apologies but its easier for me.

Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
The money is made in the betting, perhaps bookmakers should contribute to welfare?

I think you'll find huge changes are being made in that area hence the forms you now fill in.

So why is there still no accurate figure or information as to where the dogs end up?

You cannot even begin to compare dog fighting with horse and dog racing, you can however compare horse and dog racing with each other. I won't bother with stats, I know from speaking to friends e.t.c that if you mention greyhound racing they don't approve, however they're also the first to go off to the Chelt festival or Ascot.

Again as I say what your friends think of either is up to them but certainly the people I know would never dream of attending or supporting either.

I don't agree or believe that there is anymore abuse in the industry to any other involving animals. Can you tell me where many of the sled dogs end up when they're past their peak? But you'll come back saying that it's not on such a big scale as greyhounds... How many pheasants are only injured during the shooting season? How many fish get their mouths ripped by hooks? How many national hunt racehorses are pts during the season? How many flat racehorses legs shatter on the course or in training due to being pumped full of feed so fast so that they are big and strong enough to be broken as yearlings... How many dogs in the showing world are rehomed when they don't make the grade? And how many stand in **** because all their owners care about is what colour rosette they bring home? All 'abuse' in the name of sport... But it's ok because they're not greyhounds. Double standards!! Come and see mine, they're all rugged up with two rugs, on thick beds, in disinfected kennels, with food in their bellies, no injuries, no fleas or ticks and coats that absolutely gleam. Cruel though huh.

Once again you are making the assumption that I support any of these practises – I don’t. You are going against your statement that two wrongs don’t make a right. None of the above is acceptable – so Im confused as to your point. Yes it goes on in all of those areas but that does not make it acceptable to happen with greyhounds just because it does.

In your opinion I'm a reputable breeder then as you know all of my pups go on contracts. There are VERY few pet breeders who do take pups back which is a crying shame and I'll agree with you that unless it is a bitch who would be a valuble brood, greyhound breeders don't intend to take back anything they've bred. I will disagree with the second comment though, I know of a fair few who have paid transport to rescue kennels and given the rescue kennels a donation with pups/adults that needed homing.

Only if the contract states that you will take the pup back at whatever age. Again those pet breeders who do not contract are not good or reputable breeders. Oh excellent they actually pay for THEIR dogs to get to a rescue! This is a sign of a good dog owner is it? Not in my book – they keep their dogs past their usefulness and into old age.

I'm not sure what that comment is in reference too, but no, every single puppy does not go for big money, but it depends what you call big money. A poorly bred pup will probably still go for £350/£400 at 12 weeks when earmarked and innoculated which in comparison to pet price isn't a bad price, some recently have been sold for £3000 at 12 weeks.

They are also sold to the highest bidder – hardly good practise IMO – with the knowledge that it is highly likely that the pup will end up in rescue after it is deemed useless.

I beg to differ, the flapping man doesn't make money out of it and not as many as you would think are interested in the gambling side of it. So why is it ok to race Afghans but not greyhounds?

Now Im really confused! You say there is no money in it yet you still regard commercial greyhound racing as a good thing. I believe I have explained my position on that. Afghans, terriers which every breed you are talking about rarely end up in rescues or PTS because they are not good enough, too old or injured to race. They are, first and foremost pets, who will go home after a fun day out to a warm house and cosy sofa.

No, they don't but like with National hunt racing and many of the ex NH horses going onto a successful point to point career the same can be said for NGRC dogs going flapping.

If I bred a little I have no doubt aslong as they weren't injured in breeding paddocks that every single one would make it to the track whether NGRC or flapping.

But what happens to them when they are too old to race, can you guarantee that they will not end up in rescue or worse?

Perhaps Ireland should make a contribution, most of them are after all Irish bred.

I don't think so, she adores racing! She's certainly not forced to race, how can you force a dog to race? One minute you're saying that not all the pups would make it to the track, assuming you mean they may be non chasers, the next you're saying that we force them to race??? Well, can't I force my apparent non chasers to race??? Which is it to be? I have absolutely no interest in the Afghan as a breed, they don't appeal to me, I adore lurchers and greyhounds as a breed and always have.
But surely she could enjoy racing just as much if there was no commercial side to the ‘sport’? She has no idea how much money is being bet on her winning so would enjoy racing just as much!

So does every single pup make it to the track? Really? Yet you have non-chasers, yet you say all your pups will make it to the track?

Ireland should make the contribution of also banning commercial racing and not breeding so many greyhounds. As you say Ireland contributes most of the racing greys, can you tell me how many of their pups don’t make it to the tracks and how many of their dogs end up in homes on sofas?

There is still very little accountability in the industry, the forms etc are just a slight nod in the direction of trying to make themselves look better – its not working!

Excuse the sky blue - there is a reason for it
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
I wont rip you to shreds but point out one thing to you.

Three people myself included have pointed that we have made no money racing infact its cost us money.

I have no problem if you think im a liar but would like you to prove that with some facts that I can except that I am a liar or I can disprove that im not.
Galty - I'm not calling you a liar at all! I wouldn't call anyone a liar unless I could prove they were telling lies!! And thanks for not ripping me to shreds!!
It's the people who are in it just for money and then discard, abuse or kill their dogs that I have a major problem with not the people who look after their dogs like they should be looked after and keep them.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

15-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
Perhaps you are! Unless you know these things as the truth you really shouldn't be saying such things.
The huge decline in numbers attending the races would surely back this up! She can it seems certainly speak for many on here
Nixy69
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
The huge decline in numbers attending the races would surely back this up! She can it seems certainly speak for many on here
Declining numbers doesnt account for all tracks though my local is packed every Thursday and Saturday night surely that speaks volumes. I think most people know that unspeakable cruelty does happen to some racing dogs that are owned by people who think of them as a commodity but if trainers look after their dogs why should all racing be abolished?? Trainers who look after their dogs through their racing career until retirement dont deserve to be put in the same category and believe me they are out there.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
How many exactly do you think are contributing to this discussion on here?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
Thousands of people from all walks of life participate in greyhound racing in different ways as it is at the moment, and yes, would like it to continue.

However, that said it is not true or fair to state that everyone involved wants it to continue on the way it is at the moment because they don't. The vast majority would like to see welfare in all areas continue to improve and are working towards making it better, and in doing so ensuring we rid greyhound racing of the minority that show blatant disregard for everything.
Why should the majority who look after their dogs well during and after racing give in to the minority who by their actions ruin it for everyone.

Please provide 'good factual evidence' the vast majority look after their dogs well during and after racing and the vast majority would like to see welfare continue(?) to improve.
Page 59 of 157 « First < 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 69 109 > Last »