View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Quick question, am I right in thinking that these letters recieved for the requests that you've made is where you are getting your figures of dogs destroyed at the track?
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I think its fair to say if you support something - you find a level of acceptance with it.

It has been your instance that everything be backed up by 'good factual evidence' - something which you appear to be reluctant to do in order to substantiate the welfare of the dogs.
I support greyhound racing, it is not illegal. What I don't support is the destruction of healthy dogs, dogs being abused, neglected or abandoned, stop trying to put your spin on it. I will say again not everyone involved in racing is bad, but there are some and it is these that need to be got rid of!

Believe me I would love to, but yes I am reluctant simply because I won't give my personal details out on an open forum as goodness knows who frequents it. By giving out my dogs details, it is easy to find out my personal details as well you know.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
So why do you think that half a minute to examine a greyhound is not long enough? Atleast they get examined, there are many sports involving animals where the animal is not even checked by a vet.

It only takes me just over a minute to go though stretches/flexes and check the muscles for injury/tears.
Click on the link below - navigate to 'The Vets' and below the photographs of the vets you will see 'Klikt U Hier'
Do exactly that and then click 'Translate' in your Google toolbar.

http://www.nederlandsegreyhoundclub.nl/ukwelkom.html

All this in 30 seconds?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh how typical, one comment by Simon was being twisted by an anti, there's a surprise. I assumed (and shouldn't have) that she was talking about dogs being examined after kennelling at the track.
When kennelling dogs for racing, a vet should be able to examine 80+ dogs within a 30 - 40 minute period. I would expect that a suitably trained veterinary surgeon would be able to do the same during a kennel visit.

How hard is that to understand?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
Quick question, am I right in thinking that these letters recieved for the requests that you've made is where you are getting your figures of dogs destroyed at the track?
The figures are the basis for the estimated number of dogs injured and destroyed trackside in the UK.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:24 PM
When kennelling dogs for racing, a vet should be able to examine 80+ dogs within a 30 - 40 minute period. I would expect that a suitably trained veterinary surgeon would be able to do the same during a kennel visit.

How hard is that to understand?
Read the whole article again, the line you keep quoting is being used simply as a comparison read in context this becomes clear. Also it is clear in said document that the word 'examine' should instead be termed as 'inspect'.

Not difficult to understand at all IF the article is read in it's entirety.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:26 PM
The figures are the basis for the estimated number of dogs injured and destroyed trackside in the UK.
How are you getting to your figures? Please explain.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
I support greyhound racing, it is not illegal. What I don't support is the destruction of healthy dogs, dogs being abused, neglected or abandoned, stop trying to put your spin on it. I will say again not everyone involved in racing is bad, but there are some and it is these that need to be got rid of!

Believe me I would love to, but yes I am reluctant simply because I won't give my personal details out on an open forum as goodness knows who frequents it. By giving out my dogs details, it is easy to find out my personal details as well you know.
It is my belief and that of many others - commercial greyhound racing is not financially viable without the need to destroy healthy dogs.

Neither is it commercially viable for the industry to enforce/comply with the Animal Welfare Act, Misuse of Drugs Act, environmental law, health and safety law......etc etc

I accept your reasons for not wanting to disclose information - on an open forum - which you would lead to your personal identity.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Johnderondon asked: They get rid of their dogs because of their love for the breed? Lol.

Navajo answered:

Yes, so that the dog goes on to have a life after racing and after kennels.

They obviously couldn't keep retiring the dogs to their own home, how many greys can you fit in a house?
I'm going to type this very slowly.

If someone loves their dogs then they do not hasten to cast them into the unknown so that they can fill the vacated space with another which, in due course, will be similarly discarded.

Any industry that relies on the charity of others to clear up it's mess - and yet still drops more dogs than the rescues can catch - is morally bankrupt. Cries of "It's not me, it's the others!" cut little ice all the while that those who participate in the industry as it stands and thereby support the industry as it stands and ensure that it continues to survive as it stands for that much longer.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Although I understand there are genuine reasons why some people cannot keep their dogs....it is still disgusting that greyhounds are discarded...whether to a shelter or not.....I have 5 dogs in my house and have room for 1 more which I will find when my latest beauty, Holly is settled. I don't have a big house and I have 3 kids, two of them with severe special needs, I work as a nurse, and sing in a band and my husband had a heart attack in may and not once have I ever considered getting rid of my dogs. I would rather die than get rid of them.
These people are not dog lovers as I see them....they are profit making self centred individuals or consortia who want to make a few quid at the expense of an animal that just wants to make it's owner happy and they are subsequently moved on like a piece of furniture.
I expect to be ripped to shreds by some on here but it's what I believe and I'm sticking to it!
Page 58 of 157 « First < 8 48 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 68 108 > Last »