Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
1500 annually is an estimation not an accurate figure.

I know exactly how much time the vets have prior to and after racing AND to treat injuries thank you. Please don't assume I don't.

Watching the video you posted certainly left me with that impression which is why I said that and why no doubt it was posted.

Here's some factual evidence for you, I had five racing greyhounds who in total raced 556 races between them. During their racing one unfortunately had a fall but was not injured although the fall looked horrendous when it happened similar to those on that video you posted.

Where are those five greyhounds now? All quite happily laying in my front room, having been cared for to the highest standard whilst racing and are continuing to be cared for to the highest standard in their retirement.
Noooo you cant have them there with you, cared for? I mean thats not what happens is it? Tarring all with the same brush, including my friends and you I assume, my friend has 4 retired racers too, and another from another trainer. Not the done thing you see, they are all abandoned and abused!!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 07:09 PM
That's a totally stupid comment. I and everyone else know that not all greyhounds end up with a horrible fate but a large number do. You only have to look at the pictures in all the rescues of the abandoned ones, the ones handed in because they are no longer useful.
To all those who keep them, this argument is not aimed at you...it's aimed at those who don't give a brass monkeys about their dogs and leave them to fend for themselves or worse still....dead.
You seem to be making out that no dogs are abandoned etc. You surely are not that naive?? Are you??
It like saying that there is no child abuse in this country because most people look after their children with love and care......which unfortunately is not true.
I'm now going to bow out of this thread because some here make me so angry.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
That's a totally stupid comment. I and everyone else know that not all greyhounds end up with a horrible fate but a large number do. You only have to look at the pictures in all the rescues of the abandoned ones, the ones handed in because they are no longer useful.
To all those who keep them, this argument is not aimed at you...it's aimed at those who don't give a brass monkeys about their dogs and leave them to fend for themselves or worse still....dead.
You seem to be making out that no dogs are abandoned etc. You surely are not that naive?? Are you??
It like saying that there is no child abuse in this country because most people look after their children with love and care......which unfortunately is not true.
Is it stupid? or does it balance it a little to which most anti racing folk hate to see?

Its nice to see the thread isnt aimed at all, but I am involved with greys and have been their training and I enjoy immensely the racing, so on a public forum, please dont tell me which threads I can take part in! The thread is there for everyone, so bowing out on your part might be a good idea as it appears only "selected" people can partake!
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I appreciate what you are saying, but again not all the greyhounds that end up in rescue come from where they've been abandoned from racing, some also sadly come from pet homes where they've been mistreated, starved and abused. I can show you plenty of cases where they've been removed from a pet home. Dogs of all breeds can sadly be abandoned not just the greyhound. It's a sad fact of the society we live in.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Borderdawn......at which point did I say you couldn't partake?? (I'm back by the way!! ) It's a forum and every point of view is allowed. I don't happen to agree with you but that's ok. You are entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to disagree. What's the point of a debate if there is only one side??
I am not anti racing at all. The dogs seem to enjoy it! I just get upset with the ex-racing hounds I have seen in rescues. That's all! I'm just saying what I have seen. I just want all owners to be responsible. I'm sure you could agree with that?
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Not in my experience, they are most def puppy farms!
What is your experience Tink?
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Sorry but in my experience, as an owner, fosterer, and campaigner against this so called ‘sport’ I say you are being very naive, yes a harsh accusation but from my years of experience in rescue of these beautiful creatures it is not a small minority! I understand you will not get rid of animal abuse but when it is condoned by the powers that be in the industry you aint got a hope in hell of getting rid of it or even reducing it! Again you go on about 2 wrongs – no they don’t but do not try to justify it by saying it goes on elsewhere ! It does not justify it going on in that industry Greyhound people appalled, oh they might come out with the usual drivel about it being a small minority but again I think you are being very naive – they close ranks as they have always done, lets face everyone in the industry knew seaham was going on – what did they do about it – nothing! Micro chipping will only make it slightly harder to get rid of the dogs so instead of ears being hacked off it will be dug out – whats the difference. Again the powers that be do nothing about the abuse that goes on – a small smack on the wrist and thats it. Until the BGBG take abuse seriously and DO something about it, it will continue – when was the last time they revoked a license of someone for drugging their dog, they don’t it’s a quick slap on the wrist, that to me is animal abuse and not only should they have the license revoked but be reported!

4 million? Hardly a large amount when you keep going on about the amount of money the industry earns and the amount of dogs in the industry. So you are not against putting a dog into rescue when its served it purpose so long as someone is paying for it – what about the dogs that will not get a place in rescue and be pts because some owner or breeder cant be bothered to care for it now it is too old or to injured to serve its purpose – tell me please why is a dog not for life? I take it you don’t actually believe in that sentiment?

So where do they end up? No one really knows, the BGBG do not follow up on dogs that stop racing oh they have the paperwork supposedly in place but they don’t bother with it. Go on seriously tell me the number of pups that don’t make the grade make it to racing – surely it should be documented somewhere?

I don’t really get your point – horse racing bad greyhound racing good perhaps? So can you come up with some stats to support your statement because the vast majority of people I know are against abusing and exploiting animals in any form whether it be dog, horse racing, circuses, dog fighting whatever. Im fully aware what goes on but this is a dog forum and greyhounds are dogs in my eyes not a money making machine.

All animal abuse should be reported I agree maybe its because there is so much abuse within that industry thats why it gets so many headlines? I believe thats the truth of it, not that its a vendetta – there is just more abuse to report.

A reputable breeder certainly will those that do are considered reputable/good breeders – any who don’t are basically puppy farmers in many people’s eye! So again that makes greyhound breeders puppy farmers IMO, they have no intention of taking a dog back or making sure it even makes it into rescue

What all of them? Every single pup goes for big money – come on just how stupid and uneducated do you think I and others who see this industry for what it it are? Please if you are going to say people talk rubbish – get your facts straight.

Why would it? If all these people are doing it for the fun or love of the dogs or even the thrill of the chase, why would they not either stop or race the hounds for fun like afghan racing? You don’t see their owners dumping them after their usefulness or if they are to slow to win. So no its not passion for the dogs, it a passion for the money and gambling, that’s it.

You are assuming Ive not been to the tracks, I have many times and not just my local one. Ive been Ive seen Ive talked to people, Ive been told to take a dog or it will be smacked over the head, Ive been begged to take a dog because the owner is going to send it ‘elsewhere’, Ive been threatened and sickened by what I have seen. My old dog was 6 when she was dumped into rescue – off a registered track, she had run over 90 races, sometimes 3 times a week so don’t tell me about who often or how long they run for, you say they go on to 3 or 4, just goes to show what a short useful life they have! So flapping tracks take the old and infirm – great advertisement that is!

Please don’t tell me that every one of those pretty little pups make it onto the track, you make yourself look foolish.

And that makes it right because???

The amount of greys being bred and bought into this country can never all be rehomed or even make it into rescue – where are all these homes going to come from? If so many take their dogs home, how come there are so many in rescue, why was there a need to set up the RGT?

Sorry but I do, I have no problem with racing for fun – afghan racing is great! Why do you have to have a monetary interest? Why not just go along for a fun day out? Im sure she would worship you just as much if you let her laze around and have a run in the field for fun and not to be forced to do
The money is made in the betting, perhaps bookmakers should contribute to welfare?

I think you'll find huge changes are being made in that area hence the forms you now fill in.

You cannot even begin to compare dog fighting with horse and dog racing, you can however compare horse and dog racing with each other. I won't bother with stats, I know from speaking to friends e.t.c that if you mention greyhound racing they don't approve, however they're also the first to go off to the Chelt festival or Ascot.

I don't agree or believe that there is anymore abuse in the industry to any other involving animals. Can you tell me where many of the sled dogs end up when they're past their peak? But you'll come back saying that it's not on such a big scale as greyhounds... How many pheasants are only injured during the shooting season? How many fish get their mouths ripped by hooks? How many national hunt racehorses are pts during the season? How many flat racehorses legs shatter on the course or in training due to being pumped full of feed so fast so that they are big and strong enough to be broken as yearlings... How many dogs in the showing world are rehomed when they don't make the grade? And how many stand in **** because all their owners care about is what colour rosette they bring home? All 'abuse' in the name of sport... But it's ok because they're not greyhounds. Double standards!! Come and see mine, they're all rugged up with two rugs, on thick beds, in disinfected kennels, with food in their bellies, no injuries, no fleas or ticks and coats that absolutely gleam. Cruel though huh.

In your opinion I'm a reputable breeder then as you know all of my pups go on contracts. There are VERY few pet breeders who do take pups back which is a crying shame and I'll agree with you that unless it is a bitch who would be a valuble brood, greyhound breeders don't intend to take back anything they've bred. I will disagree with the second comment though, I know of a fair few who have paid transport to rescue kennels and given the rescue kennels a donation with pups/adults that needed homing.

I'm not sure what that comment is in reference too, but no, every single puppy does not go for big money, but it depends what you call big money. A poorly bred pup will probably still go for £350/£400 at 12 weeks when earmarked and innoculated which in comparison to pet price isn't a bad price, some recently have been sold for £3000 at 12 weeks.

I beg to differ, the flapping man doesn't make money out of it and not as many as you would think are interested in the gambling side of it. So why is it ok to race Afghans but not greyhounds?

No, they don't but like with National hunt racing and many of the ex NH horses going onto a successful point to point career the same can be said for NGRC dogs going flapping.

If I bred a little I have no doubt aslong as they weren't injured in breeding paddocks that every single one would make it to the track whether NGRC or flapping.

Perhaps Ireland should make a contribution, most of them are after all Irish bred.

I don't think so, she adores racing! She's certainly not forced to race, how can you force a dog to race? One minute you're saying that not all the pups would make it to the track, assuming you mean they may be non chasers, the next you're saying that we force them to race??? Well, can't I force my apparent non chasers to race??? Which is it to be? I have absolutely no interest in the Afghan as a breed, they don't appeal to me, I adore lurchers and greyhounds as a breed and always have.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:36 PM
What all of them? Every single pup goes for big money – come on just how stupid and uneducated do you think I and others who see this industry for what it it are? Please if you are going to say people talk rubbish – get your facts straight.

Ahhh, you were on about pitbulls? Yes they make big money, you don't need me to tell you that and the ones that don't? Anyone who can put two dogs in a 'pit' to fight isn't going to think twice about killing a dog are they, horrid people.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Please take a look at the East Midlands dog rescue website, the dogs there nearly always come in with terrible untreated injuries new and old, bad teeth is also commom and poor health, their diet is cheap as can be as the racing is all about profit.
Sandy who runs it takes them from many owners, so we are not talking one bad egg here!
I asked where they come from? Straight from trainers?
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 08:39 PM
But gladly it does seem to be on its way out, as the punters are just not there these days, thank goodness
It's definitely on the decline! But like I say, Monmore was packed the other week and that was a Thursday night, it's not dead and gone yet.
Page 47 of 157 « First < 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 57 97 147 > Last »