register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 76 of 84 « First < 26 66 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 > Last »
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
In reply to CC's can't quote as it wont let me.
Firstly me comments re red eye was not to do with a dogs eyes shining in light at night, the implication was these dogs were red with rage.
Secondly it was Gnasher who brought up that it was a wolf cross and shouldn't be treated that way because of this, implying that it is OK to treat other breeds like this because they are not wolf crosses.
I never said the noise didn't work I was just saying how it is probably working for CM, yet more abuse to get his desired result.
Becky
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
In reply to CC's can't quote as it wont let me.
Firstly me comments re red eye was not to do with a dogs eyes shining in light at night, the implication was these dogs were red with rage.
Secondly it was Gnasher who brought up that it was a wolf cross and shouldn't be treated that way because of this, implying that it is OK to treat other breeds like this because they are not wolf crosses.
I never said the noise didn't work I was just saying how it is probably working for CM, yet more abuse to get his desired result.
Becky
Fair do's on the first two points but I think it's unfair to say that the tssssssst thing is working for CM using the "shock" tactic, as that is merely your own idea and there is nothing to confirm that at all. Obviously, you've a right to your opinion, just saying I think it's a little unfair, is all.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

As for your last paragraph, you bet he was !! Wouldn't you Mish? Come on, be fair, of course he was scared. That Shadow was a big dog - and Cesar had made a bad mistake, and he knew it. Have you never ever made a mistake with a dog? I am sure you have never kicked a dog, but have you never lost your temper with a dog, or realised that a particular course of action you took was completely the wrong one? I have lost my temper even with Tai, bless his heart, he is a dear sweet boy but he can be terribly irritating sometimes. He has a horrible habit of huffing and puffing and panting and sighing if he thinks his walk is overdue. It's not because he is desperate to go to loo, it's just he is impatient to go - it sounds trivial, but believe me when you are on the phone to clients, it is very distracting and very irritating, and more than once I have rounded on him and said if you don't b. well stop puffing, I'll clock you one. I never have of course, but the threat of violence is more than clear in my voice, and it is not good, and I feel terrible afterwards.

I am not insinuating you would ever threaten your dogs Mish with violence, before you get all crinkly with me, I am just pointing out that Cesar made a mistake ... and he got bitten for his pains, and jolly good thing too. I just wish I could find that transcript of the interview with him about it ... it may be on my other computer, I haven't got time now to look for it, but will try to do so tonight, because it was very interesting, what he said about wolf dogs, how he had got a lot of learning to do and was going to be linking up with some wolf dog chap in the States to get some guidance and training because more and more he was being asked to sort out wolf dogs with problems.
Yes I agree we are all human and I am sure we all loose the rag sometimes. As a friend heard on a seminar (cant rem who by) 'we have to treat dogs as dogs, and we have to let them treat us like humans, and being only human it means we will sometimes do something unpredictable, but if most of the time we are kind and fair then the dogs will forgive us'
As for the Shadow episode being wrong - yes I totaly agree, but I dont see CM at the end of the episode saying that he had made a mistake, that I would be v happy with him for being big enough to say - nope that episode was aired as an example of his training methods - he looked pleased with himself at the end because he had won - although I believe what both dogs learnt in that show is not good at all (the Collie that he let shadow lunge at finnished the episode with its tail between its legs - his response 'is your dog always like that with its tail tucked up?' and the owner 'NO!'

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I think somehow i missed this in the thread,
that is sad and another CM casualty apparently.
Benmcfuzzylugs, what did you say to the owners?

Wys
x
TBH I havent really had a chance to speak to her yet, she was mortified but I was more worried about getting Mia away to the vets as blood was pouring from her mouth and the owner was on a nightshift last night so we will meet up today hopefully. She put Lucy away and came to see me in tears but I just had to get Mia dealt with. I am not angry at her - these things happen and she thought she was doing the right thing as its what she has seen on the TV and its how everyone else round here treats their dogs. Of course also 'there but for the grace of god go I' I have a reactive dog, it could have just as easily been blood pouring from Lucy as Mia, although Mia was on her back and screaming she was in no way submitting.I met Storms owner and was talking to him so that how I knew what was going on.

and for the Alpha roll fans
Lucy jumped on Mia and pinned her on her back - that is the first time I have ever seen a dog actually put another on its back and it was NOT a nice thing at all. Lucy was not dominating or being calm - she was going in for the kill and Mia was in no way submitting, she was screaming and fighting for her life (there are a couple of bites on Lucys nose so she was fighting back - but not enough to do too much damage)
So if that is the real life situation when the dogs use that behaviour then take a proper think about what the dogs really think CM is doing to them when him, a total stranger takes them, in a stressed state, usually surronded by the things the fear - and pins them, by force, to the floor
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
If you read my original post you will see I said he uses that technique while hiding the remote for the shock collar behind his back so it's accurate!
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Qoute from CC Does it matter what breed the dog was, one way or the other?
Well I for one would be fascinated to see you alpha-rolling your dogs.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Qoute from CC Does it matter what breed the dog was, one way or the other?
Well I for one would be fascinated to see you alpha-rolling your dogs.
Yes, that thought brought a smile to my face

Not something I've needed to do up to now (wouldn't have a problem doing it though if I thought it would help a situation) but I think I read somewhere on here a while back, someone saying that dogs don't alpha roll each other. Mine do! Quite regularly actually. It's usually when the young'uns are bugging the older Chis and they do it to let them know it's time to stop. The point is taken by the young'un too. No aggression as such, just a quick flip and a paw on the chest. It's quite sweet watching Chis do that to each other but I imagine it might be different with larger breeds
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 11:32 AM
A quick flip? I'd love to see them doing it too each other. I have NEVER had any dog roll another, one may be offering an appeasement gesture by rolling on their back but I have never seen one dog flip over another ever.
Becky
Fi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2009, 11:48 AM
A quick flip? I'd love to see them doing it too each other. I have NEVER had any dog roll another, one may be offering an appeasement gesture by rolling on their back but I have never seen one dog flip over another ever.
Becky
It's that opposable thumbs thing again.
I occasionally wrestle with my dog and it has to be said he's mince at it. He doesn't get guard, is very bad at locks always turns his back.
Mostly he just looks bemused to be honest.

Dog's can't alpha roll each other. They don't have opposable thumbs. The behaviour always has to be offered voluntarily.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Becky
If I am ever quick enough to get the camera and do a quick video of it, I'll be sure to post it (have to admit I'm not really a "technical" but I'd do my best).

Please don't doubt it though, it happens and regularly. I've also seen my old Yorkie boy do it to a JRT when it went after his Mum (which was actually a Bichon but he thought she was him Mum ). He was the most dopey, docile dog you could meet and I was truly shocked when he flipped this JRT over and stood on his chest. Luckily Stan (the JRT) was not the hyper type that some JRTs can be and he took it well
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Sorry Jackbox, just for your benefit, I should have said :

I disagree with your explanation Mish. The dog's eyes are "RED" with rage. I had never ever seen such rage and sheer desire to kill in a dog before. It is like he was rabid.

Off to work now.

Thats fine if thats what you see.

But "I" just dont see that.

I see dark & scared,

The beauty of it is we can all watch the clip & decide for ourselves.
Closed Thread
Page 76 of 84 « First < 26 66 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 > Last »