Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dexter's Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2009, 07:30 AM

Dexter being sick - just bile i think?

My 6 month old Scottish Terrier puppy (love of my life) has been sick a few times over last couple of days. It seems to be just a little bit of bile and spit. He has been eating his food ok - maybe not as much as usual, and seems to be lively enough - but surely the sick isnt normal?

I had him in for his puppy check up yesterday and the veterinary nurse said if he is eating he is prob fine - just keep an eye on him - but every movement now I think means there is something wrong.

Common / not ? I dont know and am maybe just over protective but any advice welcome.

x
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Dogs can often bring up bile when they are hungry maybe try breaking his meals in to smaller more frequent portions
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, at that age smaller dogs still need at least 2 meals and maybe 3. If you are already feeding him 2-3 times a day, you might check back with the vet if it continues.
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I was about to ask how many meals a day is he on?

Great minds lol

Is he also pulling on the lead? I found that choking on lead + empty stomach made the likelihood of bringing up the bile much much worse.
Dexter's Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2009, 07:26 AM
He is on three meals a day and yes he does pull on the lead - but he is mostly being sick in the morning before he even walks. And last night he was sick twice during the night - it was there when I went down in morning.

I dont think it is hunger because his food is out for him all the time so if he was hungry - he could eat - he just doesnt seem to be very interested in it just now.

Thanks for your advice guys - I am going to take him to the vet anyway.

Jx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Dexter's Mummy View Post
He is on three meals a day and yes he does pull on the lead - but he is mostly being sick in the morning before he even walks. And last night he was sick twice during the night - it was there when I went down in morning.

I dont think it is hunger because his food is out for him all the time so if he was hungry - he could eat - he just doesnt seem to be very interested in it just now.

Thanks for your advice guys - I am going to take him to the vet anyway.

Jx
Hi Joanne if the vet can find no other cause I think you should consider a problem called 'early morning sickness' , it is not a very well understood condition. My present dog started to have this problem at about 6 months, she was prone to producing yellow bile early in the morning and would wake me up to go out.

Chatting to the vet about it we concluded that some dogs produce an excess of bile which builds up in the empty stomach while the dog is sleeping and immobile for a long period overnight.

My dog is fine now, I have reduced the amount of her 2 daytime meals and she has three biscuits around 10:30 pm so that her stomach isn't empty when she goes to sleep.
Also some dogs do seem to grow out of this condition as they mature.

In your post above you say 'he is on three meals a day', then 'his food is out all the time' and 'he doesn't seem interested' are you leaving food down all the time? If you are I would stop this and leave his meal down for twenty minutes then remove it. Imagine having your meal there all the time, would you fancy it ?

Also it is also important to try to make sure Dexter eats his two small meals and the biscuits last thing at night so his tummy isn't empty for long periods.

Can I ask what are you feeding him on?
Dexter's Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
He is on three meals - we put his brekkie out in morning and he has it - then his bowl sits empty until lunch, then we feed him and he eats it - then same at teatime. It is just that recently he hasnt always been eating his meals - so we have left it out.

I have the vet this afternoon but if he is happy then we will try the biscuits at bedtime - makes sense to me.

Thanks
Jox
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Dexter's Mummy View Post
He is on three meals - we put his brekkie out in morning and he has it - then his bowl sits empty until lunch, then we feed him and he eats it - then same at teatime. It is just that recently he hasnt always been eating his meals - so we have left it out.

I have the vet this afternoon but if he is happy then we will try the biscuits at bedtime - makes sense to me.

Thanks
Jox
Hi Joanne Dexter is old enough to be on two meals with biscuits last thing at night as described, preferably some good quality biscuits without too many additives like Burns 'Kelties 'or the JWB 'Mini Jacks' .

If he is still on three meals and you are feeding him too much food this in itself can cause problems.