Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sharkbait556
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Bringing up bile

My English bulldog has been sick twice in the past couple of days and its just bile what he is bringing up. He isnt vomiting his food or water and it has only happened once today and once yesterday but when it does happen he is retching for what seems like ages and when he does get his breath back he cant stand for a couple of minutes.

Any advice welcome Thanks
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Just brining up bile i would have said might have been an empty tummy espech if its during the night or 1st thing in the morning
the out of breath, could be something stuck or something but I would head to the vets just in case
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Lou you haven't given very much information , how old is your dog, is it eating and drinking and well in all other respects. ?
You say ...
' when it does happen he is retching for what seems like ages and when he does get his breath back he can't stand for a couple of minutes.
...prolonged and violent retching can be a signal that there is some kind of obstruction in the throat, it can also result in a blood vessel bursting causing the dog to vomit fresh blood. I would say the reason he 'can't stand' is because the retching made breathing difficult and this resulted in a lack of oxygen to the brain.

I would see a vet to check your dogs throat, it may only prove to be be a minor thing but is best checked out.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I would get this checked out too. If only to check that there is no obstruction and get reassurance that it is just because of an empty tummy.

Cox does on occasion do this 1st thing in the morning 2-3 times, but he is fine afterwards. If yours is also doing it first thing in the morning, then feeding 2 meals a day, and a handful of kibble/biscuits last thing before bedtime might help - it does Cox.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 06:18 PM
You need to get him seen by a vet for the reasons mentioned above. If the retching is that debilitating that he can't get up for a minute or two afterwards he may be doing himself much greater unseen damage.