View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 02:57 PM

Amish people and their treatment of dogs.

As a member of a couple hunting sites, one member in the States hunts Cotoyes on "Amish" owned land. He says they want the lot dead!! I commented on the fact I thought they were a very peaceful folk, not wanting much from life, just basic needs and to be able to provide for themselves. Imagine my horror to be told they are the biggest puppy mill breeders in pensylvania, and the conditions the dogs are kept in are horrific. They also sell dogs at "dog auctions" it really has upset me to think these people are like this, I admired them greatly for their beliefs and simple living.

They have breeds such as
Cavaliers
Shih-Tzu
Labradors
Bulldogs, English and American
Pit Bulls (One of which ATE a Shih-Tzu leg off! see video)
Mastiffs
Weimaraners
Papillons

all the popular breeds really.

Here is the link, be aware that the video are nasty, the poor Shih-Tzu is heart rending.

Please also understand this is NO attack on Amish people personally, just a shock find in my opinion.

http://www.awawatchdog.com/0205/index.htm
dawn.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:00 PM
OMG what a shock. I'm sorry Dawn, I'm just not strong enough to watch the video.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I am absolutely speechless, I never had any idea of that either, I have heard a few stories about how they expect horses to stand out in the sun, whilst they are in town for hours and the poor animal doesnt get any water. But I never knew about the puppy farming !

I used to respect the Armish for what they do, but I guess it's a cultural clash of beliefs, they see animals as work things/money makers and maybe dont have pets like our culture does ?

Very sad.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
OMG what a shock. I'm sorry Dawn, I'm just not strong enough to watch the video.
No me neither Vicki - I want to but I can't
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Its awful isnt it. The auction and breeding facility videos are ok, they are not too bad, but you can see how dreadful conditions are for those poor dogs.
Dawn.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Dawn

The poor wee thing..not vet treatment for two days after!!!! shocking!

I have heard about their treatment of animals before, it is shocking to see some of those piccs.....
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:13 PM
how utterly awful...

i had no idea.

xx
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Hmmm, i didn't know about the puppy farming but strangely i'm not surprised. I'm not knocking them either, but i have read other reports of the women being badly treat and some children treated as slave labour. So its not surprising they don't care about their animals.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Just disgusting-really horrible! And i'm usually one that has a strong stomach-but must admit wretching a few times at the conditions in the vids!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 03:27 PM
I knew about this as it has been mentioned several times on a US breed specific forum of which I am a member.

Just today someone had seen a Blue Newfoundland (???) advertised for $1000 dollars, supposedly registered. Other members explained that the address of the breeder (Lancaster, Pennsylvania) indicated, an all likelihood, one of these puppy millers and that the registry is an 'alternative' one set up for the purpose of fooling the public into thinking they are buying an AKC dog, and therefore are willing to pay a higher price. Rather like the UK's 'alternative' registries, the papers are worthless

I can't bring myself to watch the video, but my attitude towards the Amish has changed somewhat since I learned more about their treatment of animals
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >