Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
i have to disagree with you on that, many untrained dogs will protect their owners,
my old dog proved himself more than enough when me and my mate got into a fight

and marley is very protective of my and wont let other people touch me generally
and again, I just can agree with you!

dogs has not to be trained for
I think, if they feel the real bond for or to you, they just will protect you

...however they are able to, but they will
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Pookin View Post
My old favourite is that neutering a dogs calms them down, this one really makes me cross as I have quite a few friends who insist my lurcher 'calmed down' after he was neutered and had nothing to do with the hours of training I put in.

Some very strange myths:
If you count the nipples on a male dog, that tells you how many litter mates he had.

When a dobermann matures a single giant fang grows from the roof of its mouth, it can deploy this fang at will, like a snake. This is why not many people know about it as its rarely seen phenomena.

My gran always used to tell me this and i always thought it was an old wives tale: a dog with more pink than black in its mouth is more obedient. The pink and black bit may be the other way round, can't quite remember. Could there be a hint of truth in that one?

Just remembered another funny one! A quick and easy way to bond with a dog, take a piece of white bread and put it in your armpit for an hour, then feed it to the dog. Some versions of this myth to half chew the bread instead of the armpit thing but its essentially the same
The neutering "myth" is a good point - especially if cut very late, as my Ben was - at the age of about 5 - it made no difference at all, and indeed, he is more interested in bitches in season than his entire kennel mate Tai, who is getting a bit ancient now!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2013, 06:20 PM
*some off topic posts have been removed*
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I had not heard all of them.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
"You can never train a terrier" I wish I had a pound for everyone who came out with that stupid line!

I remember in the early 70s when there were a lot of attacks by GSDs (then called Alsations) and as a youngster, I heard so many people saying, "you can never trust an Alsation completely" I never quite worked out why, because the 1 example that I knew was a lovely chap!

My young mind was addled further, when I plucked up the courage to ask an adult why....the answer was, "they all turn eventually"

Not sure what response the Adult was expecting, but not: "they have to turn eventually - otherwise they will bump into things"

I wasn't being sarky - honest
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
"You can never train a terrier" I wish I had a pound for everyone who came out with that stupid line!

I remember in the early 70s when there were a lot of attacks by GSDs (then called Alsations) and as a youngster, I heard so many people saying, "you can never trust an Alsation completely" I never quite worked out why, because the 1 example that I knew was a lovely chap!

My young mind was addled further, when I plucked up the courage to ask an adult why....the answer was, "they all turn eventually"

Not sure what response the Adult was expecting, but not: "they have to turn eventually - otherwise they will bump into things"

I wasn't being sarky - honest
Hi The times I wanted to have a one liner,because in my village they were the same about Alsations,and would mutter darkly thats all theyare wolves in sheep clothing.crystalgirl
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2