Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 05:25 PM

I don't have arthritis......

I have Raynaud's Phenomenon.

A few weeks ago I was worried about having arthritis in my hands, they began aching and feeling stiff. I also started getting pins and needles in my feet at really odd times - walking usually means you don't get it!!

I went to see a doctor who said it was too early to tell if it was arthritis and to see how I got on.

I went to see another doctor (my usual) today for another matter (of the female kind) and while there I said my hands were still bad. In fact, this morning they were the worst they have ever been, I was unable to do buttons up for a while and I had some swelling. When it happened I was in an old part of the school, a bit on the damp side.

The doctor listened, looked and told me I have Raynaud's Phenomenon. I have never heard of it, but is apparantly quite common. Luckily at the moment I have it mildly. It is basically a circulation thing, little can be done. During an attack I have to wiggle my fingers to get the circulation going, and keep my hands and feet warm.

I am relieved it isn't arthritis. Just knowing what it is makes it a bit better - if you know what I mean.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 05:29 PM
aww bless you what a relief to know its not arthritis cos thats a cruel thing for anyone to have
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Good excuse to head for a warmer climate, Trish! Seriously though, keep your hands and feet warm in this chilly weather.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 08:30 PM
I am now sitting here with gloves on!!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 08:41 PM
That sounds really painfull, I hope the winter doesnt affect you too much. You can buy those things you pop in your pocket from places like Milletts they heat up in the microwave and you pop them in your pocket to keep your hands warm. Might take some of the pain away?
You poor thing.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Good idea Luz, will look out for some. Warmth does help. I think you can get some you shake to warm up, that would be handy.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 09:54 PM
I was diagnosed with Raynaud's 6 years ago, that was one of the contributing factors of moving out here. When I'm cold my fingers go pure white and numb, its a horrible feeling. And as for my toes, well they seem to be permanenty blue.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Moving story I suffer with cramp in my legs and toes and it's now moved to my arm, I was told it was to do with bad circulation so I know dress warmer and it tends to keep it at bay a little so my heart goes out to you xxxx
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-11-2006, 11:15 PM
You will have to run around the dogs to warm up My circulation isn't great either.. but I think that's cos I am always sitting at a desk. Maybe we should promise each other to do more excersize?
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Glad to hear it's not arthritis Sorry to hear it's Raynaud's Phenomenon You may find Wikipedia here a good start for finding out a little bit more about it. Best wishes Sammy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >