Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I love cats

Cat's are more independant than dogs, females more so. It's true what they say, dogs come when called, cat's take a message and get back to you :smt043

Some cats are quite dog-like and like to be with you all the time - so I guess it depends on what kind of cat you get..
God I wish that was true! My female cat is just too affectionate! She follows you round the house "umming" at you cos you've dared to spend 1 millisecond not stroking her. Everytime you sit down she's on your lap before the dog even gets a look in. She's even started to follow me on dog walks. In short, she drives me nuts!

I'd actually quite like a cat that was independent! :smt043

I do agree with Dawn in that cats, like dogs, will only behave badly if you let them. Our cat has never been allowed on work tops, she's so clean she wouldn't dream of marking in the house and if she starts to scratch the furniture she gets turfed outside! Much to my relief!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
God I wish that was true! My female cat is just too affectionate! She follows you round the house "umming" at you cos you've dared to spend 1 millisecond not stroking her. Everytime you sit down she's on your lap before the dog even gets a look in. She's even started to follow me on dog walks. In short, she drives me nuts!

I'd actually quite like a cat that was independent! :smt043

I do agree with Dawn in that cats, like dogs, will only behave badly if you let them. Our cat has never been allowed on work tops, she's so clean she wouldn't dream of marking in the house and if she starts to scratch the furniture she gets turfed outside! Much to my relief!
She sounds right up my street your little cat!! I'm softening here!!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You're convincing me yet again Dawn, you always do that to me when we talk about cats!!! Maybe one day then I've gotta have something furry around my feet when dear old Georgie has gone, and slippers just won't be enough I'm afraid!!!
Thing is, if YOU had a Cat it would be a normal well balanced family pet just like Georgie is, I guarantee it! I know what you mean about Cats scratching etc,, but its only because they are let do it and not stopped. Some people think you cant teach Cats anything its so wrong, they are very smart and would outwit many a dog.

They are cuddly, scrummy creatures that require less attention than dogs, wash themselves after each meal, not rub their beards all across the carpet when they have eaten like my dogs! They dont slurp water everywhere, they drink delicately, you cant hear them eat, unlike the dogs who sound like drains! They walk about silently, not like the dogs who crash everywhere! and generally are a pleasure. I wouldnt swap my dogs for the world tough, but Cats definately have crept up the ladder here.

How could you resist?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Well I couldn't could I!!!! Not now you've said all that!!!!!

Where I worked for my oldies, the son used to come up every morning with his gorgeous, gorgeous siamese, who was besotted with the son and followed him everywhere, cried when he went out, followed him to the car, blimey, I think he even slept with him every night!!! Now that cat would never come anywhere near me, but it would sneak a peak from behind a door, or from under the table at me. I spoke to it quietly every day, every time I walked past, and do you know what? Within a month, that cat came up to me and took food out of my hand!!!! I was overwhelmed I almost cried, coz it took a lot to overcome it's fear of me (I know how scarey I am!!!!) When I told the son he couldn't believe the cat came up to me, he said he was definitely a one person cat, but I think I could have tempted it away, if I was that way inclined of course!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-01-2008, 08:48 PM
lol Rip your cat sounds mad!

Cheetah follows me around everywhere too (I have to keep the lounge door shut or she'd just drive me crazy lol). However she's not really a 'lap cat' or rather, it _has_ to be on her terms, she'll come and sit on your lap when SHE wants to typical woman

*runs*
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I dont like them, dont dislike them.

The cats near me are cocky and smug and take great delight in winding the dogs up, just sitting on the fence staring at them with the smuggest look ever that makes Star fume, Jake has chased them in the past and cornered one, it hissed and smacked him so Jake stays clear. Skye is like me, well its a cat thats all.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Well I couldn't could I!!!! Not now you've said all that!!!!!

Where I worked for my oldies, the son used to come up every morning with his gorgeous, gorgeous siamese, who was besotted with the son and followed him everywhere, cried when he went out, followed him to the car, blimey, I think he even slept with him every night!!! Now that cat would never come anywhere near me, but it would sneak a peak from behind a door, or from under the table at me. I spoke to it quietly every day, every time I walked past, and do you know what? Within a month, that cat came up to me and took food out of my hand!!!! I was overwhelmed I almost cried, coz it took a lot to overcome it's fear of me (I know how scarey I am!!!!) When I told the son he couldn't believe the cat came up to me, he said he was definitely a one person cat, but I think I could have tempted it away, if I was that way inclined of course!
You see youre melting!! Cats are good judges of character, that Cat saw you were a secret Cat lover!

I must say only one of my Cats is a lap Cat, thats Moosey. All the others come for fuss, they come if you call them etc.. but he is the one that will lie on you for ages making your legs get cramp!
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Interesting thoughts everyone.

Regarding my birds being clawed through the wire, it used to happen at night when they were roosting. They would sit right at the edge of the perch and before they could even 'tweet', the cats would pounce and get their claws through the wire. After that, there was only one winner.

I remember another time when I used to work in a print house. We were looking out of the window over open countryside, when suddenly we saw a cat run past with a tiny bunny in its mouth. My colleague started screaming hysterically, and she ordered me after the cat. The cat was lucky it could get places I couldn't. However, through the whole chase it wouldn't drop the rabbit!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
She sounds right up my street your little cat!! I'm softening here!!!!
She is lovely really, just a bit too clingy and adoring for my liking.

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
lol Rip your cat sounds mad!

Cheetah follows me around everywhere too (I have to keep the lounge door shut or she'd just drive me crazy lol). However she's not really a 'lap cat' or rather, it _has_ to be on her terms, she'll come and sit on your lap when SHE wants to typical woman

*runs*

But yeah, my cat is mad! I've always fancied a Bengal, but then I read how clingy they were and I'm afraid for now it's a big noooooo! One thing worse than a clingy cat, would be two clingy cats in competition with each other!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
It could have been rats, stoats or weasels that got your birds, unless you witnessed it you shouldn't just blame cats.
And so what if they hunt, so do dogs!
Becky
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »