Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 11:59 AM

Corporal punishment in schools

Just read a story about a school in Merseyside wanting to bring back smacking as a form of punishment into their school, you can read about it here - http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...name_page.html

Not sure how I feel about this :smt105

I do feel that there does need to be more discipline in schools as the pupils get away with murder in the class rooms now, but is corporal punishment the answer???

My worry about giving teachers the power to smack is that some may abuse it, I know when I was at school there were good and bad teachers and some were quite cruel, I'd hate for those cruel teachers to have that kind of power :evil:
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 12:09 PM
I do agree with the need for more discipline in schools. Some kids are horrors. I don't think I'd agree to smacking my children though.

We used to have the cane when I was at school and there was one head that loved to use it :(
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 12:18 PM
theyve been pushing for this for a while in that paricular school I think

Thing is - how can they attempt to ban smacking by parents and then allow this ? Cant see it happening myself as there would be uproar :? It is physical assault and I would hate to be a teacher having to face some of the parents after hitting a child. Some of the parents are bad enough...........
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

26-11-2004, 12:24 PM
we used to get the strap when I was at school, and I had it on 1 occasion.........

It was quite a good deterant.....and you knew if you stepped out of line you were going to get 4 of the strap across your hands.....it stang like hell eventhey guys did not like getting it especially from the assistant head Mr Lawson...eeekkk just the though of it makes my hand smart.

I would approve of the strap coming back but not smacking off bottoms of any kind.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 12:28 PM
well I'd be furious if mine got the strap :?
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 01:18 PM
The problem with some kids these days is they know there is no punishment, or at least nothing that bothers them. So they think they can do what they like.
I strongly think they should be a form of punishment, it never did the likes of most of us any harm :lol:
Plus if your child is brought up to respect their elders, not to be cheeky or be a bully and to do their homework etc, then they would be no chance that their would be punished.
Just my views.
I think the whole worlds gone soft :(

Mitch
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2004, 01:20 PM
i dont think it should be brought back as there is not enough proffesional unbias unjudgemental techers these days all our teachers have their favourites and thats it my kids would get whacked every day
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Me and Ian smack our 2... sometimes i'm abit handy and do regret it after (smack first ask after) thats my biggest problem :x

If i found out anyone else (unless i have given permission... to like grandma, if they were damm right naughty) lays a hand on my 2 would have to deal with me personnally.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, I was one of those who used to get either the belt or the cane in my schooldays ('twas a long time ago!) and it certainly made me a bit more respectful of others and their property!

If I got caned when I was at Fettes, the housemaster would write to my parents about it, then my Dad would do it again when I came home - for letting him down!

I think it's time that people stopped referring to smacking as "hitting". Hitting is far more than a smacking, and the use of the word "hit" in this context is deliberately emotive and biased.

Snorri
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2004, 04:00 PM
When i was at school, the juniors... my teacher smacked my legs.

I think i was being cheeky or something nothing worthy of a smack from a complete stranger though.

Soon enough my mother was up the school going mad st the teacher.

I still remember her name and what she looked liked.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >