View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Louis Theroux on t.v now. big game hunting.

I am watching Louis on a big game shoot in Africa (South) I think. The animals shot are for trophies and the charges for shooting them are in the £1000's. They will also arrange fro you to shoot rhino. I thought they were an endangered species!!!

I`m not sure how much I can watch, at the moment they are shooting zebra . Eldest is behind a cushion but I do admire the way he exposes things....

Anyone else watching?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Charlie and I are watching, I saw the trailer because of an article where it said you can hunt rhino for $100,000!

More money than sense if you ask me.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:19 PM
not watching but saw a documentary a while ago.. it does sound awful but the game farms feed the prey species, thus (hopefuly) increasing numbers of predator species and it isn't in there interests to over-shoot anything..

saying that, it just seems ridiculous - like reverting back to the victorian era.. i cannot understand why they call them "trophies".. what skill is there in being driven up by a game farmer who knows where the animals will be, just to shoot it? anyone with eyesight could do that..
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
not watching but saw a documentary a while ago.. it does sound awful but the game farms feed the prey species, thus (hopefuly) increasing numbers of predator species and it isn't in there interests to over-shoot anything..
Well here they breed the lions in captivity purposely to be shot, so not quite the same as above.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Well here they breed the lions in captivity purposely to be shot, so not quite the same as above.
oh sorry.. definitely not the same.. obviously not a very comprehensive documentary i watched.. that is even more ridiculous..
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I suppose it is no different than raising pheasant chicks, feeding them everyday then going in beating to have them fly up and shot. It just seems worse when they are the animals so many people are trying to protect in the wild.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I suppose it is no different than raising pheasant chicks, feeding them everyday then going in beating to have them fly up and shot. It just seems worse when they are the animals so many people are trying to protect in the wild.
I think it's worse also because animals like pheasants can produce many young in a relatively short period of time. Whereas game, such as lions, rhino etc, take a long time to have young, often at great risk, and so it just seems wrong to kill.

Mind you it definitely is from a different era.

One of my ladies lived in Java when she was younger, she had a business out there.
She had a tigers head on her wall. It had to be shot as it was killing the rubber tappers! (the locals).

So she had the head mounted and the front legs turned into lampstands.
Then they found it was a mother who had a cub, so she had that made into a rug and has only just thrown that out.

She also has two huge turtles on her wall that she says she picked whilst they were still alive, to be made into wall ornaments.

She's lovely lady and it's just a totally different attitude from a different era.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I have to say that the images are pretty horrific. My daughter is behind a cushion. She wants to listen but not see the dead animals.

It is an entertainment industry for people with money to shoot what they want according to the amount of money in their pockets.

The owners of the hunts seem to see themselves as farmers . They believe their method of killing is more humane than the slaughterhouse and the meat is also used.I still find it uncomfortable watching animals being shot for pleasure.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
...........I'm watching.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I also have a bit of a problem with hunting animals that are coming to waterholes set up by the game people with food put out to tempt them in.
It's a bit different to a chase style hunt and cannot see the thrill they get from that.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >