View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Melody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2006, 06:41 PM

Kongs and titbits (suggestions for training treats and Kong fillings please)

Just wondering what you fill your kongs with?? and whats the best time of day to offer it?

And also what do you give/ or did you give your puppy as rewards when training, as Scampi doesnt like his broken down doggy biscuits.

Thanks
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 06:49 PM
In the dogs kongs I used to put a little broken biscuit in the bottom, a layer of youghurt (mine used to go nuts over youghurt) a layer of their normal dried food and in the top a sliced banana. Put that in the freezer for an hour or so and my dogs loved it. I used to give mine their's when I was going out, mid-late morning.

I haven't owned a puppy as all my dogs have been older rescue. The youngest I owned was 11 months so can't really help with treats altho my dogs faves were hot dog sausages
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
I've filled Harveys kong with dog biscuits and sealed it with peanut butter. Haven't frozen mine so doesn't last that long. For training treats I use a variety, sometimes I buy tescos cheapy chipolatas fry them and chop them up, or cooked liver chopped up. I also use tescos meaty treats (about £1.09)in a bag which I cut up into small pieces. Cheese is another good treat for training cut into small pieces. I found ordinary dog biscuits or dried kibble a complete turn off for Harvey when used as training. We are always told at training to use real yummy treats that the dogs really want, surprising the difference it makes, its all down to bribery
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I smear marmite or fish paste around the inside of the kong, and then put normal dried dog food inside.

Keeps 'em happy for hours....
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I used to buy the proper Kong squirty paste,but now just use a little bit of normal peanut butter to block the hole up in the Kong.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
When I purchased my Kong from Pets @ Home they had a Kong Stuff ‘n Puppy Treat is a specially formulated chicken treat for puppies eight weeks and older, Cassie loves it

Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Cheese, and half a gravy bone poking out of the end! I have heard of peanut butter but not used it myself.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Yes the inside slip mentions peanut butter but I have never tried it with having the paste on hand
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
I put chopped up raw carrots in Gel's, also her biscuit things and bits of cheese.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 08:35 PM
My girls have a carrot a week really good for them
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >