Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 06:28 AM

Suprelorin; facts and facets

Some aspects re Suprelorin have been bugging me, so yesterday I tried to sort this, via the web and my Canadian family. The results have amazed all of us.

Canadian dog people do not accept anything on sight they challenge and research and ask awkward questions. Not fooled by the hype the drug companies and pet food makes millionaires put out nor giving meds etc because a friend says so.

One thing had been on my mind. IF castration leads to bone cancer, then surely suppressing testosterone will carry the same risk . YES IT DOES, but note that the figures and statistics re bone cancer in larger breeds do not add up re juvenile castration, Large breeds have always been more prone to bone cancer because of the tremendous growth rate and because breeders have not screened the genetic tendency out rigorously enough. Also the one research item did not compare with bitches.
BUT using Suprelorin to avoid the effects of early castration is a no go. In fact Sl is worse as it induces a very sudden drop in testosterone by using a powerful synthetic drug

The same drug they use with human sex offenders and the side effects are horrendous and well known. Also all the dogs they tested SL on had to be put down.

While seeking more, I came across this thread and I urge you to take the time to read it all.

[forum link removed, please note we do not allow links to other dog forums]

These are UK dog lovers of experience and skill who took the time to ask WHY and HOW and did some good seeking with horrific results. The drug company advising to make an 18 inch incision…

This is why Suprelorin is banned in so many countries now.
Maybe it is my age that makes me sceptical and ask questions. My own health has been permanently damaged by wrong meds many of which were later withdrawn. So now I google any meds I and my critters are offered and question everything. And say no often.

Management of a pubescent male of any species is hard. Not too many years ago I helped a farmer neighbour separate two young rams. One had broken fences to get to the other and they were determined on mortal combat.. and as for cockerels…

This is why juvenile castration is used more and more, before testosterone is made and released so the dog does not have the memory of the hormone.

These are hard decisions, but to use SL is surely not the way to go, It is a powerful and dangerous and unpredictable drug and our dogs deserve better. Long term effects are not yet fully known.

As many countries have decided wisely.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 08:56 AM
I do not think Canada or the Canadian people are unique are they?

I have found that intelligent people of ALL nationalities (whether dog lovers or not) do not accept anything on sight they challenge and research and ask awkward questions. Not fooled by the hype the drug companies and pet food makes millionaires put out nor giving meds etc because a friend says so.

Having attended several seminars on neutering and associated issues run by holistic vets (ie those that are homeopathic, herbal as well as allopathic) and with world renowned behaviourists, these alleged harmful side effects appear to be invisible?

This is also used in various species with no ill effects (apart from localised swelling).

Superlorin is not designed for use in pubescent males in any case.

Testosterone is not sourced ONLY from the testes so that hormone is always present (if only in small amounts) and as for having a "memory" of a hormone, if such a thing were possible, why would it be detrimental.

I am post menopausal, what detrimental effect would the memory of oestrogen have on me?

There are lots of cons to neutering males prior to the fusion of growth plates, especially in performance animals.

Nothing in life without risk, but we have to determine the difference between relative and absolute.

I am sure the Canadians are a wonderful nation but imbue them with a superior outlook is at best optimistic and at worst rather derogatory to other nationalities do you not think?

I do not know of anyone using Superlorin to avoid the effects of early castration that is not what it is designed to do.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Some aspects re Suprelorin have been bugging me, so yesterday I tried to sort this, via the web and my Canadian family. The results have amazed all of us.

Canadian dog people do not accept anything on sight they challenge and research and ask awkward questions. Not fooled by the hype the drug companies and pet food makes millionaires put out nor giving meds etc because a friend says so.

One thing had been on my mind. IF castration leads to bone cancer, then surely suppressing testosterone will carry the same risk . YES IT DOES, but note that the figures and statistics re bone cancer in larger breeds do not add up re juvenile castration, Large breeds have always been more prone to bone cancer because of the tremendous growth rate and because breeders have not screened the genetic tendency out rigorously enough. Also the one research item did not compare with bitches.
BUT using Suprelorin to avoid the effects of early castration is a no go. In fact Sl is worse as it induces a very sudden drop in testosterone by using a powerful synthetic drug

To repeat Smokeybears point, the idea is not to use it as early castration but as an alternative to castration.

The Supreloin implant works by a sustained release of deslorelin which is a GnRH. Due to the prolonged release of deslorelin, GnRH receptors within the pituitary glands are desensitized - which is why affects of the implant take ~6weeks in dogs.
With the desensitization of the pituitary glands (in the brain), the production and release of follicle stimulating hormone and luteinising hormone are impaired. No follicle stimulation hormone and no luteinising hormone mean no testosterone which means no sperm.

The same drug they use with human sex offenders and the side effects are horrendous and well known. Also all the dogs they tested SL on had to be put down.

There have been MANY studies on the supreloin implant and yes all the dogs are put down BUT all dogs used in scientific testing have to be put down by law even if not being used for anything contagious. It has nothing to do with the test itself.

In the UK, we don't use drugs on sex offenders. I found a few papers that suggested the use of supreloin on humans given its success in animals, however couldn't find any evidence for use. I am aware they did a trial in the USA but I thought this was a chemical castration not a hormone suppressant and had positive results.

While seeking more, I came across this thread and I urge you to take the time to read it all.

[forum link removed, please note we do not allow links to other dog forums]

These are UK dog lovers of experience and skill who took the time to ask WHY and HOW and did some good seeking with horrific results. The drug company advising to make an 18 inch incision…

There may be some confusions here - It's no way 18 inches. I have ferrets with adrenal disease implanted with supreloin with no GA and barely a twitch from them. It is bigger than a micro-chip but only just.

This is why Suprelorin is banned in so many countries now.
Maybe it is my age that makes me sceptical and ask questions. My own health has been permanently damaged by wrong meds many of which were later withdrawn. So now I google any meds I and my critters are offered and question everything. And say no often.

I could see the supreloin implant is banned in Australia and Norway.
Norway don't approve of castrating animals (hormonal or otherwise) but then they don't have the same issues with unwanted animals like we do. I would be surprised if it were approved there.
Australia also have quite polarised views on animal castration and I would imagine this is why it hasn't been approved there yet. Remember this is still fairly new drug.

Management of a pubescent male of any species is hard. Not too many years ago I helped a farmer neighbour separate two young rams. One had broken fences to get to the other and they were determined on mortal combat.. and as for cockerels…

This is why juvenile castration is used more and more, before testosterone is made and released so the dog does not have the memory of the hormone.

An ethical vet shouldn't castrated an animal before they hit puberty.

I think you may be confused on how hormones work.

These are hard decisions, but to use SL is surely not the way to go, It is a powerful and dangerous and unpredictable drug and our dogs deserve better. Long term effects are not yet fully known.

I've read a lot of scientific studies on the implant, as I am fortunate to have access to all the journals and neutering in ferrets is a contentiousness issue. I am yet to read of a side effect or negative consequence which makes me feel it's dangerous.

If you remove the implant the effects are reversed within a few weeks as the GnRH receptors are no longer being suppressed.

As many countries have decided wisely.

I personally have considered the implant. I have a nervous male dog who marks everything and attracts attention from other entire males (generally not positive experiences).

I would never castrate as I worry on the side effects of reducing testosterone in a nervous dog and the implant seemed like a good idea as it is reversible.

The internet is a dangerous place, with a lot of misinformation on it! I am quite fortunate I can go straight to academic publishing's and would be happy to direct to some papers on this issue for anyone interested.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
I personally have considered the implant. I have a nervous male dog who marks everything and attracts attention from other entire males (generally not positive experiences).

I would never castrate as I worry on the side effects of reducing testosterone in a nervous dog and the implant seemed like a good idea as it is reversible.

The internet is a dangerous place, with a lot of misinformation on it! I am quite fortunate I can go straight to academic publishing's and would be happy to direct to some papers on this issue for anyone interested.

Hi Niccie,
Lots of member's dogs here on Dogsey have had the Superlorin Implant. I did lots of research before having my two male littermates implanted last April. I also made appointments with two different vets to get their opinions on it. I'm in a situation that the house directly opposite us has 6 bitches who are naturally come on heat. I originally went to the vet to ask about having both of my dogs castrated but was concerned as one has a heart murmur. Both vets recommended the Superlorin implant and this was before I even knew it existed. I then did lots of research and was more than happy to go ahead with the procedure.

One of my dogs is of a more nervous disposition and I worried that having less testosterone could make him worse. They have both been absolutely fine. Within 4 weeks of the implant both had stopped 'marking' and 'humping' when excited, but more importantly aren't spending any time by our gate pining to get in to our neighbours garden . Their balls shrunk, but I have been assured that everything returns to its original state once the implant wears off. Basically it is just a dog contraceptive of which my own vet has used on his owns male dogs and is more than happy to use again.

RoseB - I'm not sure why you are so anti Superlorin. Here in the UK it has been approved by the BVA, The Kennel Club and Royal Veterinary College. You say you have no experience with your own dog having had it, having had your dog castrated at a young age (which is also a subject that has raised many discussions here on Dogsey). You have raised the subject of Superlorin on numerous occasions and slated it again only a few days ago on the 'chat section'. Everyone is entitled to ultimately do what they think is best for their own dog/s and to use what is recommended and available here in the UK.

This dog contraceptive is deemed safe over here and I believe IS still available in Canada. Any chemical can cause side effects in any species. 1000's of young girls take contraceptives and have implants to stop unwanted pregnancies - there is always a risk!!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Niccie - here are some of the other threads on Superlorin that have been raised here on Dogsey. They may help.

Suprelorin implant instead of castration

Suprelorin implant?

Suprelorin implant (update)
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Hi Niccie,
Lots of member's dogs here on Dogsey have had the Superlorin Implant. I did lots of research before having my two male littermates implanted last April. I also made appointments with two different vets to get their opinions on it. I'm in a situation that the house directly opposite us has 6 bitches who are naturally come on heat. I originally went to the vet to ask about having both of my dogs castrated but was concerned as one has a heart murmur. Both vets recommended the Superlorin implant and this was before I even knew it existed. I then did lots of research and was more than happy to go ahead with the procedure.

One of my dogs is of a more nervous disposition and I worried that having less testosterone could make him worse. They have both been absolutely fine. Within 4 weeks of the implant both had stopped 'marking' and 'humping' when excited, but more importantly aren't spending any time by our gate pining to get in to our neighbours garden . Their balls shrunk, but I have been assured that everything returns to its original state once the implant wears off. Basically it is just a dog contraceptive of which my own vet has used on his owns male dogs and is more than happy to use again.

!
It's good to hear about a nervous dog being fine on implant!

I think we decided to definitely go ahead, just wanted to find a vet we trusted and liked - and had done it before. Which we now have - just been weighing up getting his teeth cleaned or him implanted first. Purely because I don't want to spend £400 in one month on him (so mean!)
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Vets certainly aren't cheap and here in Surrey we seem to pay a premium Good luck and remember that the implant can take up to 6 weeks to stop them being capable of fathering a littler
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 02:36 PM
I will say AGAIN! The suprelorin implant is NOT banned in Canada! You can get it freely, its use it not banned at all. You must import it from the US is all! That was the case for us of course before it was freely available here!

Im really not sure what your problem is, its not something that is only used on dogs either, its use is widespread.

Please do not compare and use human/animal as a comparison, its ludicrous!
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Vets certainly aren't cheap and here in Surrey we seem to pay a premium Good luck and remember that the implant can take up to 6 weeks to stop them being capable of fathering a littler
Riley only has two neutered male doggy friends - no females and isn't allowed to play with other dogs in the park (I really am very mean!) so accidentally breeding wasn't really a concern.
Just fed-up of entire males, off the lead, with no recall, coming up and growling at my dog!
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
Riley only has two neutered male doggy friends - no females and isn't allowed to play with other dogs in the park (I really am very mean!) so accidentally breeding wasn't really a concern.
Just fed-up of entire males, off the lead, with no recall, coming up and growling at my dog!
Niccie, I'm no expert but I'm not sure that your dog having the implant would counteract that type of behaviour from other dogs, be they entire or not? Surely that's a problem with their training rather than your dog still having his plums?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >